Putting my toe in the Princess water

flagger

Just booked my first Princess Cruise for me and my six year old daughter. We leave in just over a month on Crown Princess. We have been on Royal and Celebrity and one Disney. Looking forward to trying something new.

Will be blogging live from this cruise. Tell me more about this ship than what is written in reviews.

Just booked my first Princess Cruise for me and my six year old daughter. We leave in just over a month on Crown Princess. We have been on Royal and Celebrity and one Disney. Looking forward to trying something new.

Will be blogging live from this cruise.

...welcome aboard. We will look forward to your blog.

We will be on the Crown in May....:)

We cruised on the Crown last November with our DD, who is 5. This was our second time on the Crown and DD first cruise. She loved the kids program. She would keep asking us in the morning if it was time to go. They always had some activity for the kids to do (t-shirt painting, pirate night, kids dinners) Not sure the exact date you are going, but there will likely be fewer kids on the Crown than on Disney. We love the layout of the Crown as compared to the older Grand class ships. The early comedy shows in the Explores lounge tended to get filled up pretty quick. The pizza is GREAT!!! We had anytime dinning which worked great with a 5 year old. Found some good waiters, talked to the head waiter, and we were at their table the rest of the cruise. The waiters really took care of DD.

Enjoy the cruise.

Tim

Not sure of the size of ships you have sailed before, but the Grand class ships of Princess are mammoth. And our feelings were just the opposite of NotWthOutaBlcony. We couldn't wait to get back to a smaller ship. We have sailed Carnival, HAL, NCL, RCCI (Empress of the Seas), and Celebrity. All the ships we've been on have been about half the size of the Grand Princess (in the Med). We vowed "Never Again" on such a large ship.

So everyone has their preference, just be prepared for lines of people to do anything on that huge of a ship. And walking from one end to the other, is almost impossible. And be prepared for a lack of information. We were constantly being given wrong information, no information and no apology for the mistakes. We still enjoyed the cruise of the Med, but just decided this large of a ship wasn't for us.

Have a great trip!

Considering my last cruise was on Oasis of the Seas, I think I can handle Crown. I am looking forward to ailing on her and experiencing why and what people love about Princess.

My daughter will be also able to give a full report on the kid's program.

We cruised on the Crown last November with our DD, who is 5. This was our second time on the Crown and DD first cruise. She loved the kids program. She would keep asking us in the morning if it was time to go. They always had some activity for the kids to do (t-shirt painting, pirate night, kids dinners) Not sure the exact date you are going, but there will likely be fewer kids on the Crown than on Disney. We love the layout of the Crown as compared to the older Grand class ships. The early comedy shows in the Explores lounge tended to get filled up pretty quick. The pizza is GREAT!!! We had anytime dinning which worked great with a 5 year old. Found some good waiters, talked to the head waiter, and we were at their table the rest of the cruise. The waiters really took care of DD.

Enjoy the cruise.

Tim

What sort of things did you do in the ports with your five year old. We are sailing on a Western Carib run to GC/Roatan/Cozumel.

And walking from one end to the other, is almost impossible. . . .

That's right. What with all the obstacles in your path: the avalanches, the dragons, the quicksand, the gunfire -- you take your life in your hands just trying to get from Adagio to the Princess Theatre . . . .

Speaking of which, Adagio is a wonderful bar -- don't miss it, which is very easy to do since it's tucked up on deck 16 next to Sabatini's and some think it's part of that. It's not, and they serve a delicious Citrus Bellini that is worth walking up 16 flights of stairs for (luckily, however, there's an elevator!).

We were on the Crown last week. Roatan was our favorite port. We hired a private driver through Victor Bodden tours. Our driver/guide, Frankie, took us all around the island plus my son tried ziplining and the monkey exhibit at Victor Bodden's. We ate lunch at Bertie's Creole Cuisine which had cheeseburgers in addition to authentic, very good food. One of my son's favorite parts was meeting a couple of native boys about his age that were selling trinkets. I think they are going to be penpals, now.

Flagger,

I sailed the Crown during her inaugural season, she's a beautiful vessel and the food was comparable to Celebrity. The crew left much to be desired of - and I'm not high maintenance at all. Our group did the anytime dining and hated it, missed the personalization. In Princess' favor -- the entertainment was superb.

I think the Crown may be my favorite ship to date. I think you're either a small ship person or a large ship person. If you were okay with Oasis, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I, personally, like all the walking that is required, so I don't feel quite so guilty about the extra calories consumed on a cruise. I don't know anything about the kids programs, but I haven't read anything negative about them. Have fun!

Oh, and our room steward was better on the Crown than any of our other cruises, although they have all been extremely good. We've had absolutely no complaints about any crew on any ships we've sailed so far. I hope the trend continues!

The Crown is a wonderful ship and I have spent months on her! I rarely encountered a line up except on some formal nights and whenthe ship was late into port and people were trying to wrestle with one another to get off first.

I have only heard good thinks about the Kids club. The ship has terrific amenities with all the swimming pools, restaurants, lounges and fast food bars. Ice cream is free. Everytime I have been on the staff have been cheerful and efficient.

She definitely vies with the Sapphire as my favourite ship.

Archived