Shoping in Hongkong

goya

try the night market and other markets in Kowloon.

Shopping malls in Hong Kong are expensive (Pacific Place, Harbour City, etc).

Did not see any outlets. Was just there a few days ago on Azamara Quest.

Much cheaper in Vietnam.

Stanley Market has been the place to get discounted "western" sized clothes. It is on the other side of the mountains on the Hong Kong Island itself, takes a bus trip to get there.

Other open air markets will have more "asian" sized clothes. For women, the biggest difference was in the length of the sleeve - western bodies needed longer sleeves than clothes made for the asian body type.

So depending on what you are looking for, this is a consideration to watch out for when you shop in any of the "markets" rather than a shop where you can try things on.

O nooooooooooooo, I cant beleave it. I wanted to go shoping there.

So this means, I have to shop in HCMC or in Bangkok?

I have been to Stanley market 2 years ago. It was very nice to look around, but I didnt find any clothes for myself.

I thougt I could get bargains in HK:(

Thanks to everybody for the information.:)

For Hong Kong avoid the a/c shopping malls, yuppy brand name stores, and Department stores which are an absolute rip off.

Go for the smaller independent traders particularly on the Kowloon side .

Leaving the Ocean Terminal walk back a couple of blocks till you find Hankow Road, Nathan Road area at the back of the Peninsula Hotel .

This area is a shoppers paradise and the value is here in this area for tailors, watches, electronics, jewellery . If tailors you are after just walk up Nathan Road towards Jordan and you will be accosted by more tailors than blow flies.

Stanley Market - on Hong Kong Island, (Star Ferry to Central, then Bus 6 or 6a from Central Bus Station well inland on the Overhead walkway.) Stanley market great for readymade clothing, napery, souvenirs etc . Daytime from 10am.

Temple St Night Market - In Temple St South in Jordan (nearest MTR Jordan) from 6pm nightly .(On Kowloon Side) Great for every gadget, electronics, clothing, copy clothing watches, bags etc , souvenirs too .

Swissmyst, you are going on a very interesting cruise, where can I see the ports your are going to? TY

From Voyages of Discovery website:

29 Jan 10 Depart North America by air

30 Jan 10 Hong Kong, China

31 Jan 10 Hong Kong, China 1:00 pm

01 Feb 10 Cruising the South China Sea

02 Feb 10 Manila, Philippines 7:00 am overnight

03 Feb 10 Manila, Philippines 6:00 pm

04 Feb 10 Cruising the South China Sea & Sulu Sea

05 Feb 10 Sandakan Borneo, Malaysia * 9:00 am 6:00 pm

06 Feb 10 Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia 8:00 am 10:00 pm

07 Feb 10 Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei 7:00 am 8:00 pm

08 Feb 10 Cruising the South China Sea

09 Feb 10 Cruising the South China Sea

10 Feb 10 Singapore 7:00 am overnight

11 Feb 10 Singapore overnight

12 Feb 10 Singapore 5:00 pm

13 Feb 10 Port Kelang (Kuala Lumpur), Malaysia 8:00 am 5:00 pm

14 Feb 10 Penang, Malaysia 8:00 am 6:00 pm

15 Feb 10 Phuket, Thailand 8:00 am 1:00 pm

16 Feb 10 Cruising the Andaman Sea & Indian Ocean

17 Feb 10 Cruising the Andaman Sea & Indian Ocean

18 Feb 10 Colombo, Sri Lanka 2:00 pm overnight

19 Feb 10 Colombo, Sri Lanka 10:00 pm

20 Feb 10 Cruising the Indian Ocean

21 Feb 10 Male, Maldives * 8:00 am 6:00 pm

22 Feb 10 Cruising the Indian Ocean

23 Feb 10 Cruising the Indian Ocean

24 Feb 10 Cruising the Indian Ocean

25 Feb 10 La Digue, Seychelles * 1:00 pm 6:00 pm

Praslin, Seychelles * 7:00 am noon

Mahe, Seychelles 9:00 pm overnight

26 Feb 10 Mahe, Seychelles 6:00 pm

27 Feb 10 Cruising the Indian Ocean

28 Feb 10 Cruising the Indian Ocean

01 Mar 10 Port Louis, Mauritius 8:00 am overnight

02 Mar 10 Port Louis, Mauritius overnight

03 Mar 10 Port Louis, Mauritius 6:00 pm

04 Mar 10 Saint-Denis, Reunion 7:00 am 6:00 pm

05 Mar 10 Cruising the Indian Ocean

06 Mar 10 Cruising the Indian Ocean

07 Mar 10 Tulear, Madagascar 8:00 am 6:00 pm

08 Mar 10 Cruising the Indian Ocean

09 Mar 10 Cruising the Indian Ocean

10 Mar 10 Richards Bay, South Africa 7:00 am 10:00 pm

11 Mar 10 Durban, South Africa 7:00 am 11:00 pm

12 Mar 10 Cruising the Indian Ocean

13 Mar 10 Port Elizabeth , South Africa 7:00 am 10:00 pm

14 Mar 10 Cruising the Indian Ocean

15 Mar 10 Cape Town, South Africa 7:00 am overnight

16 Mar 10 Cape Town, South Africa

My god this sounds great. I would love to do the same, but its to long for us.

Hope I see you again here and you can tell us how everything was.

Have a lovely cruise.:)

This single ship line has really interesting itineraries. It has long attracted us because it also went to Tristan da Cuhna on its way back from the Antartic on one of its legs around the world. We couldn't make that trip but now that we are both retired, we finally got the time and this itinerary is rarely done so we jumped at the chance. That is what you "save" for retirement for, right? To start spending it on those once in a life time dreams? This was sure one of them.

We got the tip on Cruise Critic to choose one of the largest, but cheaper cabins on the lowest deck because of the angled configuration of the ship gives it more room than even the more expensive ones further upstairs. The poster here thought it was a great bargain to get this particular cabin so we asked for it right away. We'll see how it feels after 42 days as I believe the original poster was on a shorter trip.

All the inside cabins were already taken way back and there are a lot of repeat passengers on this ship, so I think the seasoned ones know getting the lowest price room and having the same adventure versus not being able to afford the better cabins is still the way to go. Our two little portholes at water level almost but in this larger room seems like a good compromise to keep the costs down but a little bit of the comfort up.

I saw photos from some other ship's portholes at this level and it looks like watching a front loader washing machine. Should be very interesting. At least our center of gravity will be low and it is right next to the infirmary so I assume they want a nice stable place for the doctor and any sick passengers so we may well have found a good cabin for the price.

Your cruise sounds fantastic. I had a look yesterday at your link and there are so many cruises for longer than a month.

We are retired aswell and so we try to go on holiday twice a year.

We still dont know yet where to go next time. Maybe Japan???? Or any cruise with a stop in India?????

42 days is a long time, too long for us.

There are very cheap prices when the cruiselines bring the ships to the winterseason or summerseason. (like costprice)

Like we made a transatlantic tour for very little money. 2 weeks for about 800$ all incl.:D

Your cruise sounds fantastic. I had a look yesterday at your link and there are so many cruises for longer than a month.

We are retired aswell and so we try to go on holiday twice a year.

We still dont know yet where to go next time. Maybe Japan???? Or any cruise with a stop in India?????

42 days is a long time, too long for us.

There are very cheap prices when the cruiselines bring the ships to the winterseason or summerseason. (like costprice)

Like we made a transatlantic tour for very little money. 2 weeks for about 800$ all incl.:D

There is a transatlantic repositioning on Costa that looked like an all time bargain too. Don't know what Costa is like but at least it goes to Savona instead of the hassles coming into Civitavecchia(Rome). Agree, with time and a love for cruising those repositioning cruises look like great bargains.

I survey a lot of itineraries on "90 Day Ticker" because the site is easy to navigate though it does not cover the smaller cruiselines on the first searc passes, but does allow a search for many of the smaller ones if you look for each ship individually. (i.e. MV Discovery)

What are shoe prices like in Hong Kong as compared to Australia. Will I get decent walking shoes there at a better price or might I just as well purchase them before I go? I need new ones. Also sandals etc. Are the decent brands- I don't mean posh brand names- a better price in hong Kong?

Archived