The NEW I Work in Port Canaveral Thread!

psblin99

If the 6 of us want to spend 2 days in WDW prior to cruise which option is best:

1. Use the Disney MCO free shuttle to WDW hotel and then arrange early pickup shuttle ($150 ish thru Sunshine Shuttles) to port on a Sunday FOS departure day

2. Rent a car at MCO and keep it for the 2.5 days and drive to port

Thanks in advance! (I am shocked how confusing this all is!):eek:

Six people plus luggage.....you'd need to rent a van or SUV. When I looked into a van rental two years ago, it was very expensive and I was only looking for a one day rental. I'd guess the shuttle would be cheaper. Google "Orlando shuttles" for lots of choices.

If the 6 of us want to spend 2 days in WDW prior to cruise which option is best:

1. Use the Disney MCO free shuttle to WDW hotel and then arrange early pickup shuttle ($150 ish thru Sunshine Shuttles) to port on a Sunday FOS departure day

2. Rent a car at MCO and keep it for the 2.5 days and drive to port

Thanks in advance! (I am shocked how confusing this all is!):eek:

Take the Disney shuttle to WDW and take a limo from

Executive vip limo to the ship for $175.

Friends of mine took the free WDW shuttle to their on property hotel and then rented from budget from their office at the hotel(saving the airport concession fee) and dropped it at Cocoa Beach and took Budget's shuttle to the ship. As I recall they paid $60 for the minivan (they had a promo code they found online). So even with gas it worked out to be something like $12 per person.

• 3 weeks later...

Forgive me if it is listed somewhere in this thread......we are renting a car at MCO and driving to Cocoa Beach.....I saw a toll road listed on google maps. Anyone know how much the toll is? Details? It's been a long time since I've ever been on a toll road. Do you still have to have exact change?

Thanks!!

Forgive me if it is listed somewhere in this thread......we are renting a car at MCO and driving to Cocoa Beach.....I saw a toll road listed on google maps. Anyone know how much the toll is? Details? It's been a long time since I've ever been on a toll road. Do you still have to have exact change?

Thanks!!

I use Avis who has electronic transponders for the tolls but they charge a surcharge of $2.50 a day plus the tolls. If you stop to pay there are 2 between the airport and here and I think a total of $2.50

Thanks!!

Nevermind...just found out. $1.25 for 2 tolls between the airport and Cocoa Beach on 528.

We rented from Budget in Feb and drove ourselves. We opted out of the toll thingy for the car. We had 2 tolls a dollar each. I brought a roll of quaters not knowing what to expect. The exact change line was super fast we barely missed a beat. The change line was at least 5-6 cars long each time.

Weird question:

I am coming into Port Canaveral directly from a business trip and meeting my wife at Orlando Airport. We're coming in two days before our cruise leaves because we want to see the space center. I will have business stuff (dirty dress clothes, laptop etc) that I won't want to take on the cruise.

Any lockers available at the port (we're taking Freedom of the Seas - Royal Carribbean)?

If not, do you think the hotel would hold a suitcase for me for a week?

thanks.

if you are staying at the same hotel when you return they might

Well...I have a two one-way rentals with Budget. I have a couple questions.

1. I read that we can drop luggage and family off then return the car. But can you just drop off luggage? It is only my DH and myself traveling and we would like to stay together without the hassel of waiting/loading a Budget shuttle to the port. So I would like to drop off the bags and then DH and I both go to return the rental. I think we could get on a shuttle faster without luggage (except carryons).

2. I made my second rental reservation for 8 am (opening). What would be the best way to get there in order to pick up a car at as close to 8 as possible. We have a date with Disney's Magical Express from MCO and would like to get there asap. We still have a week of vacation to get started on. :)

I didn't know the shuttle woud be such a mad house. I thought we could just call a cab, but now that seems complicated as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is a great thread and I will be subscribing starting now.

1. I read that we can drop luggage and family off then return the car. But can you just drop off luggage? It is only my DH and myself traveling and we would like to stay together without the hassel of waiting/loading a Budget shuttle to the port. So I would like to drop off the bags and then DH and I both go to return the rental. I think we could get on a shuttle faster without luggage (except carryons).

2. I made my second rental reservation for 8 am (opening). What would be the best way to get there in order to pick up a car at as close to 8 as possible. We have a date with Disney's Magical Express from MCO and would like to get there asap. We still have a week of vacation to get started on. :)

I didn't know the shuttle woud be such a mad house. I thought we could just call a cab, but now that seems complicated as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is a great thread and I will be subscribing starting now.

Sorry, this was typed late last night and I was very tired. The second rental is for when we are leaving the ship. Thank you for any assistance.

1. Yes, you can drop your luggage, leave, and come back later via shuttle. Been there, done that.

2. I suggest you plan to walk off and carry your own luggage, if not too much, though this can be a mad house also with pushing, shoving, line cutting. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until your number is called. You can arrange a cab or other shuttle service before hand and be assured a seat. Google Port Canaveral transportation services. Otherwise, you'll have to take your chances with the budget shuttle.

A group of is (16) will be cruising on the Dream in Oct. and we're trying to decide where we'd like to stay and hoping to find somewhere with roundtrip shuttle service included (airport and port).

Looking at Comfort Inn Cocoa Beach. My question is are we better off just hiring a shuttle and/or taxi service to bring us to a hotel and hire a shuttle and/or taxi take us to the port? We really don't want to be stuck in a hotel shuttle dropping off other passengers at other ships?

A group of is (16) will be cruising on the Dream in Oct. and we're trying to decide where we'd like to stay and hoping to find somewhere with roundtrip shuttle service included (airport and port).

Looking at Comfort Inn Cocoa Beach. My question is are we better off just hiring a shuttle and/or taxi service to bring us to a hotel and hire a shuttle and/or taxi take us to the port? We really don't want to be stuck in a hotel shuttle dropping off other passengers at other ships?

We've not stayed at a PC hotel, we live about 25 minutes from the port. However, we do park at the Radisson and ride their shuttle. They have several that hold about 16 pax, so I'm sure they would accommodate a "special" run for your group, if you ask.

They don't normally go to MCO, but again, for a group of 16 (8 rooms?), they might accommodate you.

Otherwise, google MCO transportation services; there are dozens to choose from.

We recently stayed at the Residence Inn by Marriott. The rates were good, and we were able to take a shuttle to the port for just $3.00 each. We loved that, and the hotel was really nice. We were in a recently updated studio room, and they had a wonderful fire pit outside for us to use that we enjoyed.

We will be going on another cruise in May of 2014, this time with our daughters (ages 21 and 24) coming along. We definitely plan to stay at the same hotel and use the shuttle service again.

The one thing I am unsure about is what to use for transportation from MCO to Cape Canaveral this time. The past two times, we have used VIP Limo, but what like to explore other options this time. What is the rough cost for a minivan style cab?

Everytime I look at rental cars, the rates only seem good for small cars, which will not work for the 4 of us and our luggage.

I have cruised out of PC a few times and have used Cocoa Beach Shuttle to pick us up from our hotel. I have some friends who have used them on two separate occasions recently and they have been late both times. One time they had to call twice for them to pick them up. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some other shuttle services in the area.

We recently stayed at the Residence Inn by Marriott. The rates were good, and we were able to take a shuttle to the port for just $3.00 each. We loved that, and the hotel was really nice. We were in a recently updated studio room, and they had a wonderful fire pit outside for us to use that we enjoyed.

We will be going on another cruise in May of 2014, this time with our daughters (ages 21 and 24) coming along. We definitely plan to stay at the same hotel and use the shuttle service again.

The one thing I am unsure about is what to use for transportation from MCO to Cape Canaveral this time. The past two times, we have used VIP Limo, but what like to explore other options this time. What is the rough cost for a minivan style cab?

Everytime I look at rental cars, the rates only seem good for small cars, which will not work for the 4 of us and our luggage.

We used an online promo code for budget and rented a minivan. With tolls and gas the total one way cost was $62

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone used the Cocoa Beach Taxi or Cocoa Beach Parasailing lately? We are trying to figure out if we should book with Cocoa Beach Parasailing, which is located near the Cove Area of the Port Canaveral Cruise Terminal, approximately 2 miles from where the Norwegian Gem will be docking according to CB Parasailing.

Will Cocoa Beach Taxi be able to pick us up at the pier? I did email them but have not heard back from them yet.

I also understand that you are supposed to pay them whatever you feel is fair. I have never taken a taxi in Port Canaveral (or anywhere in the past 20 years) so I have no idea what is "fair."

Do they only have "car" taxis or do they also use vans.

We are going to try to organize an excursion with others on our roll call and would appreciate any input anyone has as far as what fare would be fair and also whether you would recommend parasailing with Cocoa Beach Parasailing.

TIA :)

Edited by peg013

We have a group of 23-27 people that will be staying at the Fairfield Inn near the Orlando airport. Everyone will be arriving at different times. We do, however, have to arrange to get this big group to Port Canaveral. I was initially looking at Cocoa Beach Shuttle but I have read some pretty bad reviews about them and their reliability. Does anyone have any suggestions for reliable and cost friendly transportation to the hotel to the port?

Google Orlando transportation for dozens of choices.

A group that size, if you want a bus, try Mears Transportation Group.

Personally, I have no experience with which to make a recommendation; I've only rented cars.

Edited by richardb