So Scared, but want to do it.

sha88

My husband really wants to do the canopy zip line with island princess next month. I am afraid of heights, but want to confront my fears and have a fabulous experience. Any one else out there like me who did it even with the fears?

Hello fellow cruisers, we ziplined in Puerto Vallarta and it was soo much fun. I was really nervous because I normally like my feet planted firmly on the ground and I am not wild about heights, that being said, I decided I was going to be brave and go for it. I am so glad I did. It is such a rush and once you get past the first platform it is less scary and more fun.

We are going to zip in Costa Rica with Oscar Brown. I hope we see you there:D Kris

Hello fellow cruisers, we ziplined in Puerto Vallarta and it was soo much fun. I was really nervous because I normally like my feet planted firmly on the ground and I am not wild about heights, that being said, I decided I was going to be brave and go for it. I am so glad I did. It is such a rush and once you get past the first platform it is less scary and more fun.

We are going to zip in Costa Rica with Oscar Brown. I hope we see you there:D Kris

Hi, Kris! Right now we are booked with the ship's zipline tour. What was the cost of Oscar Brown? Hope I am like you and can carry through and do it! Our roll call board is kinda slow..............

hey Shoo, Oscar Brown charges $70 for tour #2 which includes the zipline and other excursions. If you don't want to zip [ which some in our group don't] then it is $35 and they will take you either horseback riding or on a nature walk for a little more than the $35. I have emailed Carol Brown to see if we can add 2 more to our group who are doing a combination of #1 and #2. Check out his website and see if you are interested in his tour. I will let you know if we can add you guys to our group, we are very nice:D

Hi, Kris, of course, I know you are a nice group! :D

Thanks for the offer and all the information. I am checking with my husband to see what his thoughts are. I know typically he always prefers to book through the ship and especially at this port for some reason. Will keep you posted and thanks again! Really appreciate it.

Shoo, if you want to join our group of 8 for a combination of 1and 2 which includes the zipline Oscar brown said you can join up with us for the price above. Let me know, Kris

Hi, Kris, I talked to my husband last night and he wants to stick with the ship tour, but thanks very much for thinking about us. Hope I will go through with it! :eek:

See you at the Meet and Greet - less than a month away! YAY!

Shoo and Fred

To answer your question...YES! I am scared (petrified )of heights:eek: and I did it in Honduras:D Although I don't know how its run in Costa Rica, I would assume That its as safe or SAFER than the one I was on. It was a FANTASTIC experience and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I have posted a picture of our group below

p1010360_0045.jpg?v=307200

I'm the guy in the Cozumel T-shirt!

Andy

Okay, Andy, thanks for sharing. I have been watching you tube videos and it does look like fun, just very high! :eek: I broke my toe in Cozumel..... loved it there, though.

Kris, see ya soon. Hope you are feeling better.

Shoo

my wife and I have ziplined in Antigua, Hondurus and Alaska and felt safe on all of them!

My husband did the zipline in Alaska last September and had a blast. It did look like fun, so in a couple of weeks, I will try it. Hate heights, tho!:eek:

Do not let fear rule your life! You MUST do it. I am also afraid of heights and not in very good physical shape, but I did the Original Canopy Tour, booked through the ship, last spring. It was very safe, they had a double zip line and you were hooked to either the line or the tree at all times. The platforms were a bit narrow, but since I was hooked to the tree, it wasn't very scary. It was a total rush! Besides going through the Panama Canal, it was the best part of my cruise. I'm still afraid of heights, but would zip line again in a heartbeat.

Enjoy!

Do not let fear rule your life! You MUST do it. I am also afraid of heights and not in very good physical shape, but I did the Original Canopy Tour, booked through the ship, last spring. It was very safe, they had a double zip line and you were hooked to either the line or the tree at all times. The platforms were a bit narrow, but since I was hooked to the tree, it wasn't very scary. It was a total rush! Besides going through the Panama Canal, it was the best part of my cruise. I'm still afraid of heights, but would zip line again in a heartbeat.

Enjoy!

I WILL DO IT! Those narrow platforms kinda freaked me out on the "you tube" videos I was watching, so thanks for commenting on them and thanks for sharing!

I am terrified of heights, but I did it in Costa Rica with Charlie Brown tours last April. I am 50, much too fluffy, and a big chicken. I SURVIVED! I was scared, and I didn't like the smaller platforms, but I made and I was so glad that I did. Would I do it again? Not sure, I did pray and ask God to get me through, so not sure I want to risk it again! But I am SO glad that I did it!

I am terrified of heights, but I did it in Costa Rica with Charlie Brown tours last April. I am 50, much too fluffy, and a big chicken. I SURVIVED! I was scared, and I didn't like the smaller platforms, but I made and I was so glad that I did. Would I do it again? Not sure, I did pray and ask God to get me through, so not sure I want to risk it again! But I am SO glad that I did it!

I think one time will be enough for me, for sure! What a way to spend Valentines Day, but ya know, I think it the end, it may kick it up a notch :D

Enjoy!

I also did the Original Canopy Tour. I enjoyed it, and I can check it off my bucket list. :)

Just returned from a cruise on the Jewel of the Seas which included a stop in Puerto Limon, Costa Rica. I had contacted JJ of JJ Tours several months ago regarding a tour to include the zip line at "Jungle Breeze" and the boat ride along the Tortuguero Canals to view the wildlife. We left the rest of the tour open for JJ to decide, with the only sitpulations that we return to the ship on time and stop to buy coffee.

The tour was great! JJ met us at the pier and we were pulling out of the pier area on a air conditioned bus, by 8:45 AM. After introducing himself and two of his children he brought along, we headed to "Jungle Breeze" and the zip line. JJ pointed out various points along the way while discussing the history of Costa Rica and Puerto Limon.

To anyone who is the least apprehensive about the zip line, all I can say is go for it, it's an unbelievable experience. First and foremost you are all harnesed in and hooked to a double cable pully system. The Jungle Breeze people take time instruct about the use of the line and all the various safety features. I was a bit apprehensive stepping off the first platform, but once I got going, it was a totaly new experience and the 12 different lines just seemed to fly by! (no pun intended.) After we all finished at the zip line, we headed to the Tortuguero Canals. JJ was again very informative and pointed out different animals, lizzards, etc along the way. Our next stop was at a local beach front restaurant for refereshments and lunch. I tried the local rice, beans and chicken with a fried banana, all of which was very good. JJ was at each of our tables to explain the menu and to describe the different items on the menu. Once the order was taken, he helped out in the kitchen to make sure we were all served quickly. It was a nice meal and a great way to relax over lunch. JJ then gave us the option of traveling 45 minutes to the bannana factory or return to the ship by way of Puerto Limon with a stop at a local supermarket (owned by Wal Mart, but not called Wal Mart or like a Wal Mart store most of us know.). We opted to return to the ship after traveling to the highest point in Puerto Limon for pictures and the stop for coffee and vanilla.

JJ was very personable, very talkative and very informative. He was very well organized and had the day well planned for our group. We were the first group to Jungle Breeze, so that helped to keep our group moving. When we got to the canals, we were also the only group on the canal at that time. The restaurant was not at all crowded, and in fact several crew members from the Jewel were at the restaurant/beach for the day.

I would strongly suggest using JJ when you visit Puerto Limon. He does not currently have a web site, but you can contact him at joiner72@hotmail.com and I'm sure he'll get right back to you. He was waiting for us as we got off the ship, he told me he hadn't gotten much sleep the night before because he was excited about our group, and kept us movining throughout the day.

When in Puerto Limon, JJ all the way!:)

I have a zipline question I haven't seen addressed. Could someone tell me about the walking and/or climbing required. We're in Port Limon next month. My friend has some foot problems and I'm worried that there may be a lot of walking involved with the zipline there. Someone said that there's climbing at the beginning and a lengthy walk back to pickup at the end. Could someone who took the zipline in Port Limon let me know just how much walking is involved. Thank you!

I have a zipline question I haven't seen addressed. Could someone tell me about the walking and/or climbing required. We're in Port Limon next month. My friend has some foot problems and I'm worried that there may be a lot of walking involved with the zipline there. Someone said that there's climbing at the beginning and a lengthy walk back to pickup at the end. Could someone who took the zipline in Port Limon let me know just how much walking is involved. Thank you!

We did the zipline at Jungle Breeze in Puerto Limon. I seem to recall there was a minimum amount of walking involved and only a few steps, maybe 8 or 9 to get to the first platform. From there it's only a few steps on each platform to get from one line to the next. At the end, it was also a short walk to meet the bus. I will caution you that you need your legs when you land at each platform so you can get upright again. I found I would use my legs and feet to somewhat anchor myself while I pulled myself upright with my arms. This was not hard, but depending on friends problem with his feet and walking, it may present a problem.

Good luck, I would say to give it a try, if it works it's an experience you'll never forget.

Valin, We just got back from Costa Rica and did the Zip Line with Okiedokey Tours. Very little walking is required. We drove up the mountain and ziplined down. There were 13 platforms but once you get to the first one, no more walking.

Any anyone else heading to Costa Rica, Okeydokey Tours is a GREAT company. Our guide Ray was just great. We did the zipline, banana plantation and river boat ride. Great times

• 4 weeks later...

OP here - First, let me say, this was one of our most favorite cruises and as a first timer on Princess, I was duly impressed.

Okay, I dangled between two platforms about 270 feet over the rainforest cause I braked too soon I guess and got stopped about 3/4 way to platform. What an experience - scary. I tried to reel myself in, but my arms got tired really fast, so one of our zip guys came and pulled me to platform. Rest of zips went fine, but was very HAPPY when it was over. My husband LOVED the canopy tour over the Costa Rican rainforest. So, I encourage everyone to try it, but don't brake till you are almost at the next platform.

Shahira

• 2 weeks later...

My husband is terrified of heights when I mean terrified he doesn't like to climb a ladder to put up Christmas lights. We did a zip line tour in Belize. IT WAS FANTASTIC. He was a little nervous but after the first one he was zipping thru the air with the gratest of ease. You should go for it.

Archived