Our first "muster drill"

WouldBeCruiser

I was reading through some posts about what people do first when they board ship. Many people mentioned attending the muster drill.

It reminded me of our previous cruise, which was also our first cruise, and how hilarious ( in retrospect) the muster drill was.

We knew that we had to attend and although other passengers were joking about it, we were very aware that this was an important safety exercise and were determined to take it seriously.

At the assigned time we assembled at our muster station with our lifejackets. The crew member assigned to our muster station did not speak very good English. Things proceeded very slowly, as a lot of passengers did not recognize his pronunciation of their names, and therefore did not answer when he called.

Some other officer was continually making announcements over the P.A. system, so our poor "Muster Master" would stop to listen to the announcement and then return to his list. I was beginning to think that we would be there right through the sail-a-way. He then began to add cabin numbers to the names. Finally we were making progress. Passengers were able to recognize their cabin numbers even if their names were mispronounced. I was listening carefully as he made his way down the list and our number was coming up fast - until he was again interrupted by the P.A. system. After the P.A. announcement was over he resumed making his way down the list - except that he totally skipped over a block of cabins - including ours. He completed his list and we were all told that the drill was over. I was shocked that we were missed. My husband joked about it and said that obviously in an emergency, we would be going down with the ship. Someone close by told us that they don't usually read out all the names at the muster drill, just enough to give everyone an idea of how it should go. Other people argued that all the names should have been read out and accounted for.

So who was right? Was this a normal occurence? Are they supposed to read out all the names and account for all passengers? Perhaps this means that we might as well skip the drill next time?

I was reading through some posts about what people do first when they board ship. Many people mentioned attending the muster drill.

It reminded me of our previous cruise, which was also our first cruise, and how hilarious ( in retrospect) the muster drill was.

We knew that we had to attend and although other passengers were joking about it, we were very aware that this was an important safety exercise and were determined to take it seriously.

At the assigned time we assembled at our muster station with our lifejackets. The crew member assigned to our muster station did not speak very good English. Things proceeded very slowly, as a lot of passengers did not recognize his pronunciation of their names, and therefore did not answer when he called.

Some other officer was continually making announcements over the P.A. system, so our poor "Muster Master" would stop to listen to the announcement and then return to his list. I was beginning to think that we would be there right through the sail-a-way. He then began to add cabin numbers to the names. Finally we were making progress. Passengers were able to recognize their cabin numbers even if their names were mispronounced. I was listening carefully as he made his way down the list and our number was coming up fast - until he was again interrupted by the P.A. system. After the P.A. announcement was over he resumed making his way down the list - except that he totally skipped over a block of cabins - including ours. He completed his list and we were all told that the drill was over. I was shocked that we were missed. My husband joked about it and said that obviously in an emergency, we would be going down with the ship. Someone close by told us that they don't usually read out all the names at the muster drill, just enough to give everyone an idea of how it should go. Other people argued that all the names should have been read out and accounted for.

So who was right? Was this a normal occurence? Are they supposed to read out all the names and account for all passengers? Perhaps this means that we might as well skip the drill next time?

Just fyi, they don't take roll-call at muster drills on Carnival (they're actualy safety drills now), and you don't even need to bring your lifejacket anymore either. During the drill, the cabin stewards will check each cabin tho, to make sure no one is hiding.

Have never, ever had names called on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity - just cabin numbers for those who haven't checked in when they enter the muster area. And no more lifevests for muster either!

If they announced names and cabin numbers I would honestly be a bit ticked off ... I like my anonymity! :p

So going to muster drill is an absolute requirement then right? It seems my friend who just went on her first cruise told me it wasn't really necessary because you could just watch a video on your safety channel in your cabin. But I suppose she was talking about something else. I guess I should call her and clarify.

Princess does not take roll nor do they search the cabins.

I am glad that I sail on cruiselines (Royal Caribbean and Celebrity) where muster drill is a requirement. Even if no one else knows where to gather, I know that I and my traveling partners will. If we sailed on Princess I'd be concerned that we would go down with the ship whilst waiting for those who chose to have another shot while we were at the drill.

Every muster drill I have been too and there were many, they have checked of every cabin, not every individual but every cabin. They have to verify that each cabin has attended and if they don't there is a second one or they must leave a letter explaining the process. so they need the cabin numbers.

Also anyone disabled, make sure you are registered with them for special assistance in the event of an emergency.

We took our first cruise on NCL last May. Every cabin number had to be checked off the list as being in attendance. Any cabin numbers without a check mark were slipped a notice under their door that they had to attend a 'special' Muster at a certain time. I'm not sure what happened to those that ignored the notice.

Archived