Carnival dream - review

melenovs

Let me start by saying I had a fabulous time on the Carnival Dream. I have been on over twenty cruises and this cruise by far was the best Carnival cruise I have been on. The staff was friendly and the ship is beautiful. However, I would not recommend this ship to friends. I have detailed my experiences below for your review.

Arrival: We arrived at the Carnival Dream around 11:00am on January 2nd. The check-in process was very efficient and everyone we came in contact with was very friendly and helpful. It only took us about 45 minutes from arrival to walking around on the ship.

Our stateroom was on deck 1 – not by choice (this was a free cruise due to a past problem we had with Carnival). The stateroom was great, smaller than RCL but still spacious. There is only 1 plug in the entire room (I always bring a power strip anyways) and there are only four drawers to put clothes and belongings in! The beds are very comfortable and our steward was great. DO NOT stay on the first couple floors if you can help it, this boat is LOUD when docking and maneuvering – it will keep you up! The room would shake and make funny noises, it was very unpleasant.

We had late seating on the cruise, our head waiter Jorge and his assistant Maximo were fabulous. The food the first night was great, but I would say overall it is the same as RCL and Princess. We did eat in the Chef Art Steakhouse two nights and it is well worth the extra cost. The service was great, the food is amazing, and the wine selection is much better. I miss the old cruise days when you had a wine steward. Now, your drinks have to be placed with the waiter and often take some time to reach your table.

People were not lying about the lines on this ship. There were lines EVERYWHERE. I am a relatively laid back person on vacation and I know the staff is doing what they can with the space provided but it was still frustrating at times. I waited in a line of TWELVE people at the wok for over FOURTYFIVE minutes. Everyone in my party was done eating by the time I joined them. Even though I had this long wait, I loved the wok, pasta bar, and tandori options on this ship!

The shaking and noise of the boat did not stop at deck 1, even while eating dinner in the dining room the dishes and glasses were shaking. I have NEVER been on a large ship that has moved and shook like the Carnival Dream. I have been on ships this size, RCL Voyager class and Liberty of the seas and felt nothing similar to this movement and noise. My sister, who has been on almost as many cruises as I have, got sea sick for the first time on this ship. If it was not for the movement and noise of the ship I would recommend this cruise to friends. Hopefully they will figure out this problem and solve it.

Moving on, the entertainment on the Dream is by far the BEST entertainment I have had on a cruise. The piano bar was fabulous, the comedians made me laugh, the big screen TV was great (and watching the National Championship on that screen outdoors was awesome) the dancers were very entertaining and I hope that RCL takes note of what Carnival is doing with their entertainment and follows suit.

The gym and spa was top notch and we did spend a bit of time lying around on the ceramic beds after a long run. If you do not have a spa room it is costly to purchase a week in the spa member’s only area. I believe it was $150pp or $250 for a couple.

Let me know if you have questions about the Dream or any other ports. I will be happy to go into details or help with recommendations!

Katie:o

We were on the eastern schedule, Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maartin

I would reccomend going to St. John when you're in St. Thomas - it's beautiful and very laid back. It is what St. Thomas and St. Maartin were like before cruise ships took over :)

We never book excursions through the ships, they over charge!

I can understand the wait at the WOK....because they cook every individual meal from scratch.

Since you select the exact vegetables you want to go in the meal...it takes time to cook each meal.

But WELL worth the wait!!!!

The other lines I did not find any longer than on any other cruise I have been on.

I, too, have noticed more "movement" on the larger ships....particularly the Freedom and the Splendor...they seemed to "pitch" (front to back) more...however, we did not experience it as badly on the Dream.

Next time, I am getting a cove balcony!!!!!

I can understand the wait at the WOK....because they cook every individual meal from scratch.

Since you select the exact vegetables you want to go in the meal...it takes time to cook each meal.

But WELL worth the wait!!!!

The other lines I did not find any longer than on any other cruise I have been on.

I, too, have noticed more "movement" on the larger ships....particularly the Freedom and the Splendor...they seemed to "pitch" (front to back) more...however, we did not experience it as badly on the Dream.

Next time, I am getting a cove balcony!!!!!

YOUDAMBETCHA!

I LOVED my cove!! I don't think I'd get any other kind of balcony cabin on a Dream Class ship...

:)

Archived