Better to Book Directly or Use a Local TA?

Yvonne

I'm just wondering if the price is better if you book directly (over the phone, I wouldn't want to do it on-line) with RCI or go through our local TA.

Our first Disney cruise we used a local TA, the other Disney cruises we used Dreams Unlimited and our Carnival cruise I called directly.

I have cruised enough to know that it can go both ways. You will never pay more by booking with a travel agent so it wont hurt. Sometimes I book direct depending on the specials but our travel agent can sometimes get us a better deal maybe 100.00 less. The RCL staff is very helpful and you can always call and get quotes, also ask them if booking through an agent will get you a better deal, they are very honest and will tell you if they can give an agent a better deal then you booking direct.

hope this helps!

Kate

My understanding is that agents/online agencies can still give discounts IF YOU CALL...they cannot advertise. Discounts may mean additional benefits rather than reduced price. Also, RCCL gives discounts to favored, high-volume agencies, so there is always the chance of a discount. We have never booked with a cruiseline, but who knows?

When you use your local travel agent, at least if you have any questions, you can speak to the same person. Some other online companies, when you call with questions, you never get the same person twice. You get more personal service with a local TA

I am currently booked with a TA working for AAA but will probably not do so again. I feel it is too restrictive for me since I get her voicemail frequently and her voice sometimes sounds like she is "bothered" by my questions. They are only there from 8-4 on weekdays only. They offer no gifts in the stateroom and have the same price as RCI does.

I will also not use my local TA as they charge a $300 cancel fee above and beyond the cruiselines price.

I will probably book with RCI directly next time.

Archived