7.3 earthquake hits Haiti

Sue L

I agree with you on the Red Cross after our experience with them when our daughter was in a hospital in Hawaii while in the Navy and it was requested that we be at her bedside. They picked a plane with the highest rate for transporation and would buy us the tickets and we could pay them back. We got our own tickets for a much cheaper cost. I think the Salvation Army is great.

Irene & Miles

Irene & Miles,

Sorry to hear about that situation, thanks for sharing it. I have heard many stories like this that have confirmed my opinion, so I choose to donate other ways, i.e. the Salvation Army. That way I know the money is going to the right place. Take care.

Hi again, this is Maureen live from the Freedom, I'm sorry if this has all been said before, but, at 55 cents per minute and very slow internet, I dont have time to read all the posts. I am kind of surprised the ships staff isnt making much of a fuss about all this. I guess they dont want to cause a panic or "ruin" peoples vacation, but, I am having to go to my cabin to watch CNN to see what is going on. I wish they would do more updates on board or something. So many of the crew are from Haiti, does anybody know if RCI let them take a tender back to Haiti or something? How can you smile and serve drinks when you dont know if your entire family has been wiped out? Oh my God, it is horrible. I asked people in Jamaica today if they felt anything and they said they felt a little tremor, that was all. I wish the ship would take up a collection or something, I want to help, because it is so close, but, what can you do from the ship. I will donate to the Red Cross or whoever when I get home. Please pray for everyone and donate,donate,donate. I just saw on CNN, hundreds of thousands may be dead-oh my God!!!.....Maureen

Why ask the cruising passengers to donate? I feel the company should donate and make sure their port stops are safe and the people are supported properly. Why put it to donations from people vacationing? We were on JOS Dec 10-20 and they were asking for $10 to Make a Wish Foundation. I think this is a good cause and my DH did it since it went totally to this charity, and he got a nice T shirt! OF all the people around the deck they got 91 people to do the mile walk and buy the T shirt for the donation. I think there is enough profit margin in our cruise fares to make donations and not hit up guests on board for vacation.

So using your logic, why is it OK for RC to ask for donations to Make a Wish and not something else (Earthquake Relief, Hurricane Relief, whatever). Shouldn't they just donate on their own and not "hit up guests" (your words). What made it right, that you got a free t-shirt?

I wish the ship would take up a collection or something, I want to help, because it is so close, but, what can you do from the ship.

Maureen - Being that you are currently on a cruise that began prior to this disaster, I'm sure that it is very difficult to create the mechanism for Haiti donations on board. There is a lot of logistical and administrative work involved, and they may not be able to make it happen on your particular cruise.

Hi again, this is Maureen live from the Freedom, I'm sorry if this has all been said before, but, at 55 cents per minute and very slow internet, I dont have time to read all the posts. I am kind of surprised the ships staff isnt making much of a fuss about all this. I guess they dont want to cause a panic or "ruin" peoples vacation, but, I am having to go to my cabin to watch CNN to see what is going on. I wish they would do more updates on board or something. So many of the crew are from Haiti, does anybody know if RCI let them take a tender back to Haiti or something? How can you smile and serve drinks when you dont know if your entire family has been wiped out? Oh my God, it is horrible. I asked people in Jamaica today if they felt anything and they said they felt a little tremor, that was all. I wish the ship would take up a collection or something, I want to help, because it is so close, but, what can you do from the ship. I will donate to the Red Cross or whoever when I get home. Please pray for everyone and donate,donate,donate. I just saw on CNN, hundreds of thousands may be dead-oh my God!!!.....Maureen

If the ship is in Jamaica today, then no tender could make it back to Haiti without running out of fuel. Communicate to Haiti is very difficult at this time. Better to wait a couple of days and then try to reach loved ones.

I realize it is hard, but at this point there is very little anyone can do. Let the professionals do what they can now without everyone else on earth getting in their way.

I'm sure it wouldn't take much to divert ships to Labadee to off-load bottles of water and long life milk and tinned food and if needs be restock in San Juan.

The Haitian Government are requesting an Hospital Ship.

jj.....

I'm sure it wouldn't take much to divert ships to Labadee to off-load bottles of water and long life milk and tinned food and if needs be restock in San Juan.

jj.....

US Coast Guard on its way with at least 4 ships. Aid flights leaving Miami and Fort Lauderdale underway as well. No commercial flights due to no communication with ATC.

Actually, it would take a lot. Getting a cruise ship close to Port Au Prince and having tenders for the supplies is probably impossible right now.

The USCG has already sent numerous ships and a couple C-130's. Supply planes are already taking off from the U.S.

US Coast Guard on its way with at least 4 ships. Aid flights leaving Miami and Fort Lauderdale underway as well. No commercial flights due to no communication with ATC.

Great news thanks for posting - reports of 500,000 could be dead.

jj.....

jj.....

I can't see RCCL ceasing operations of their ships and diverting them to Haiti in order to drop off water, milk & food. I could see them doing something with the ships already scheduled to stop in Labadee though.

Although if you think it "wouldn't take much" to divert their ships, perhaps you could donate the fuel for them?;)

jj.....

Is Royal Caribbean the only cruise line that should donate to the Haitians? I thought I read yesterday that there were many cruise ships in the area. I know you won't like what I am saying, but I am playing devil's advocate. RCCL is a business and they will decide what/if they want to do. Cruise Critic posters don't make the decisions, the cruise lines do. Did you post this on other cruise line sites? If there are other ships near there, perhaps they could also donate as you request.

If you feel so strongly, do as I am doing and send your own money to help the Haitians and allow the cruise lines to run their business as they see fit.

I just want to add that I am not picking on you, as I have seen the same type postings on other threads. I do think they need help and it's up to us to do something, not expect others to. JMO.

I can't see RCCL ceasing operations of their ships and diverting them to Haiti in order to drop off water, milk & food. I could see them doing something with the ships already scheduled to stop in Labadee though.

Although if you think it "wouldn't take much" to divert their ships, perhaps you could donate the fuel for them?;)

I'm not asking them to cease ops - if you look at the map ships could easily divert which wouldn't take up much time. As for the fuel i'd gladly offer a donation to the fuel costs and for the food.

jj.....

Amazing! News reports a 7.0 earthquake and now on this site we are up to 7.3. As far as earthquakes go that is a huge difference. Probably by the end of this topic it will be embellished to an 8 or above.

I any case this is a huge disaster for the peolple of Haiti and they seriously need our help and prayers We should not be worried whether or not we get to cruise there. How selfish.

Just an fyi, when this eartquake was first reported, it was reported as a 7.3. From someone who lives in earthquake country, I can assure you that earthquakes are rarely first reported at their actual magnitude. It is an estimated magnitude. When we had our '94 quake here in Los Angeles, it was first reported to be over 7.0, then finalized as a 6.9. When the OP statred this thread, it was being reported as a 7.3. It wasn't until later that it was downgraded to a 7.0.

I'm not asking them to cease ops - if you look at the map ships could easily divert which wouldn't take up much time. As for the fuel i'd gladly offer a donation to the fuel costs and for the food.

jj.....

So they'll just sail all their passenger full ships into Labadee each day and have them unload boxes & boxes of food, water & milk, is that it? Also, I am sure RF will be grateful to hear of your generous offer to pay the fuel cost of this operation. Have you had the chance to email him the good news yet?

Is Royal Caribbean the only cruise line that should donate to the Haitians? I thought I read yesterday that there were many cruise ships in the area. I know you won't like what I am saying, but I am playing devil's advocate. RCCL is a business and they will decide what/if they want to do. Cruise Critic posters don't make the decisions, the cruise lines do. Did you post this on other cruise line sites? If there are other ships near there, perhaps they could also donate as you request.

If you feel so strongly, do as I am doing and send your own money to help the Haitians and allow the cruise lines to run their business as they see fit.

I just want to add that I am not picking on you, as I have seen the same type postings on other threads. I do think they need help and it's up to us to do something, not expect others to. JMO.

Of course other cruise ships are close by - but how many have a private island there ?

I've already donated and will do so again if needs be.

Thanks - but just think for a minute

RCCL has a dock that can be used to distribute much needed supplies to other parts of the Country - while Capital is under so much pressure.

jj....

So they'll just sail all their passenger full ships into Labadee each day and have them unload boxes & boxes of food, water & milk, is that it? Also, I am sure RF will be grateful to hear of your generous offer to pay the fuel cost of this operation. Have you had the chance to email him the good news yet?

Are you saying that couldn't be done - at the most a 2/3hrs docked while off-loading took place.

You know were there is a will there is a way !!

jj.....

Hi everyone,

We received the below statement today from Royal Caribbean. The cruise line has no plans to cancel calls at this time -- and will bring aid -- but is awaiting the OK from the government.

"We are extremely saddened to hear of the destruction in Haiti caused by the massive earthquake. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Haiti and their family members.

Site inspections of Labadee, Haiti, our private destination, report no apparent damage to our buildings, pier and attractions. Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises are eager to take guests, as well as humanitarian assistance, to Haiti as soon as possible, though we are awaiting confirmation from the Haitian government on when our return is feasible.

The following ships are scheduled to call on Labadee in the next two weeks: Independence of the Seas on Friday, January 15; Navigator of the Seas on Monday, January 18; Liberty of the Seas on Tuesday, January 19; and Celebrity Solstice on Friday, January 22."

RCCL has a dock that can be used to distribute much needed supplies to other parts of the Country - while Capital is under so much pressure.

jj....

Very true... however we do not know what the condition of the new dock is at this time (or at least I do not). The port at Port au Prince is inoperable. Then we're talking transporting goods 80 some miles over predominantly dirt roads. I'm sure those involved in any aid/rescue efforts will do as best they can.

Very true... however we do not know what the condition of the new dock is at this time (or at least I do not). The port at Port au Prince is inoperable. Then we're talking transporting goods 80 some miles over predominantly dirt roads. I'm sure those involved in any aid/rescue efforts will do as best they can.

True...and let's not forget that the RCI ships currently underway are stocked to entertain and feed the thousands of passengers on board; not to donate aid to a devestated area. Supplies for donation would have to start next week, assuming there is even anyone reliable and available in Haiti to transport it across the country.

UPDATE - From Mr Goldstein

http://www.nationofwhynot.com/blog/

"Simultaneously, we are exploring multiple avenues to help with the humanitarian relief efforts for Haiti. We have reached out to relief organizations and the State of Florida to see how we can lend assistance with our ships scheduled to call at Labadee."

jj.....

Archived