Chacchoben Mayan Ruins?? Anyone been?

kalowa

We have a few questions about this Mayan Ruins tour from anyone whose been there...we are considering this as an option for our RCI cruise since we really really want to do something with the Mayan Ruins and already have plans for Cozumel and possibly Roatan!

*Did you have an overall good time??

*Were you allowed to walk around on the ruins??

*Would you reccomend this to anyone else?

Or just any information you have about this tour! I just want all the info. possible before we book it and I have read a few reviews but want some input from here :)

Thanks so much,

Kalowa

We just went on the Mayan Experience tour with Native Choice last week and it was excellent! It included a guided tour of the Chacchoben ruins followed by a visit to a Mayan home for lunch & more in a nearby village.

At the ruins you could walk up in some areas. Most structures were partly roped off so you could only climb up part of the way- I am sure this is to prevent damage.

Our guides (Ivan & Noel) were very knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Ivan was actually born & raised at the site before it was officially discovered & excavated.

We had a great time and I would definitely recommend the tour to others.

We went with Native choice about two weeks ago. Ivan and David are nice, intelligent, and very entertaining. It was a great tour and we all learned a lot about the Mayans. The site is not huge, but there are pyramids that you can climb up partway, and great opportunities for photos. I would go with Native Choice again, from their online reservation to the clean vans it was a very professional operator and we felt safe with them in addition to learning a lot.

We went with Native choice about two weeks ago. Ivan and David are nice, intelligent, and very entertaining. It was a great tour and we all learned a lot about the Mayans. The site is not huge, but there are pyramids that you can climb up partway, and great opportunities for photos. I would go with Native Choice again, from their online reservation to the clean vans it was a very professional operator and we felt safe with them in addition to learning a lot.

I will second everything that has been said. We were there last week (1/14) & I thought it was one of the best excursions we have done. We only did the trip to Chacchoben for the tour and back (not the stop with the Mayan Family). Our guides were Lewis (mostly on the bus trip over) and Joel who did the narration at the site. It was so informative and entertaining. The bus was in excellent condition so the hour drive was very comfortable. I think the insight these native Mayans have, from Ivan and David to all of their guides and drivers, really makes a difference. They provide an exceptional product at only 70% the cost of a similar tour through RCCL. We will likely visit Costa Maya again just because of Native Choice (also known as Ivan and Davids). I have read other accounts where they refunded monies when emergencies came up. When we arrived I left my confirmation on the ship and I was not showing up on David's list -- he actually recalled my emails with him and placed us on the bus with no problem (I think he would have done that anyway!). I can't say enough good things about this tour group.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back and TOTALLY recommend The Native Choice (you can google to get the website). They were awesome, well-organized, had small-ish airconditioned vans in GREAT shape, were informative, gave us a heck of a good personalized tour, at an outrageously low price, compared to the ship tours. I give them 10 out of 10. And when factoring in the cost vs value they are 15 out of 10 :)

Take bug spray to Chacchoben.

Ditto to what everyone else has said. They are really that great. We did the lunch excursion as well and it was even more interesting than the ruins part. It gives you a sense of the real Mexico without ever feeling unsafe about the food, vehicle or the area.

N.

We did the "Mayan Experience" tour with Native Choice in the fall of 2005. We still remember it as one of the best shore excursions we have ever done. It is very highly recommended. We are so happy to hear that David and Ivan are back in business after the hurricane. You can see our photos of the excursion starting at:

http://www.neufie.com/Cruise/slides/216043-market-at-altun-ha.html

Neufie

To go to Chacchoben and NOT use Native Choice would be a travesty. Ivan and David are truly exceptional guides and the stories they tell really bring the Mayan traditions to life. Ivan actually grew up at the ruins (before they were made govt property) and he has a special understanding and appreciation for Chacchoben and the Mayan traditions. He and David were both outstanding.

We did the "Mayan Experience Tour" with them a few years ago and it was one of the highlights of our 23 cruises. After touring the ruins we drove to the nearby town and had lunch prepared by a Mayan family (and a short but fun lesson on how to cook a tortilla!). We truly got an understanding of the current Mayan lifestyle during our time spent with that Mayan family...they were so gracious and so kind and so generous. They obviously had very little materially but they were so happy and content (a great lesson for our teens who were with us).

I haven't done the tour yet but have it reserved with native choice for the end of march. My confirmation says it starts at 10am (ship time) and takes 4 hours. That will bring you back to the ship around 2pm. Possibly email them and ask?

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts....it sounds great! Here is my concern...we are only in port from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. - Is it cutting too close to do this tour or were you back in plenty of time???

I had a chance to speak with David on our tour and they are very aware of the time constraints. We were in port 7 to 3, and still had plenty of time on our return to look around the shops, and buy DH some sandals.

As I mentioned in another post, they are very responsive to e-mail, so if it gives you comfort, e-mail them for reassurance.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts....it sounds great! Here is my concern...we are only in port from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. - Is it cutting too close to do this tour or were you back in plenty of time???

The tour of the ruins is about 4 hours and the tour of the ruins and lunch is about 6 hours. They start one hour after your ship gets into port so your tour would start at 8 am. You won't have much time for anything else in port if you include the lunch part , which I would do anyways. The luncheon was one of the highlights for us. You could shop for 30 to 45 minutes before the tour if you got off the ship as soon as possible, and there is a bit of shopping in the building where the tour meets. They are very aware of the ship's departure times and wouldn't be in business very long if they ever missed a ship. I would go for it.

N.

Regarding the Chacchoben Mayan ruins, 3 yrs. ago, I had a stroke...I limp w/ a cane and travel with an electric scooter.

A) can you walk from the bus to the ruins? Is the surface flat, or rocky.

TIA,

Scott in MIA

The path from the parking lot to the first ruin is flat, wide and covered in crushed gravel and the area around the base of the ruin is flat and grass covered. It is about a 5 to 10 minute walk from the parking lot to the ruin. The whole site is about 3 acres and there are some areas that are uneven including a second ruin that has about 20 to 30 stone steps to get to it. There is service area at the parking lot that includes a snack bar, souveniers and washrooms. The women's bathroom does have an accessible stall, but I can't attest to what the men's room has. :D There are a couple of steps at the service area, but I'm pretty sure that there is a ramp. Don't quote me on it though.

In my estimation, you would likely be able to see about 40 % of what is available, but you would be able to get right up to at least the first ruin.

If you decide to go, I would highly recommend David and Ivan at Native Choice. We travelled in a large motor coach which I am assuming would have storage underneath and may be able to accommodate an electric scooter making the excursion easier for you. It is about a 10 to 15 minute walk from the ship to the tour meeting place so your scooter would be invaluable.

There is narration on the bus to the site and at about 4 different areas of the ruins, 2 of which are accessible. One area is partially accessible (tree roots and uneven ground) and one area that isn't (30 steps to the base of the second ruins). So although you may not be able to take part in the whole walk, there is still enough to make it worth your while. I would also inquire about the lunch with the Mayan family.

Hope this helps,

N.

cantw8togo - thanks so much for your info - I will definitely email them for some reassurance but I am almost definitely going to book with them. I would love to do the extreme jungle tour but am just waiting to see if any others in our group want to join us (need to have at least 6 people to do this tour - we are travelling with a group of 19 so I am hoping that at least 4 of them will want to go!). If not, we will do the Mayan Experience. I doubt I will go wrong with either one!

Thanks again!

sorry...1 more question...do we tender into this port or is there an actual pier??

Thanks again!

Costa Maya has a pier (a verrry long pier)!!!

We went with native choice last week off the Liberty and had a good experience.

cantw8togo - thanks so much for your info - I will definitely email them for some reassurance but I am almost definitely going to book with them. I would love to do the extreme jungle tour but am just waiting to see if any others in our group want to join us (need to have at least 6 people to do this tour - we are travelling with a group of 19 so I am hoping that at least 4 of them will want to go!). If not, we will do the Mayan Experience. I doubt I will go wrong with either one!

Thanks again!

You're welcome. One last tip. Print out the map that they email you after you have booked. It was reassuring to have the map to be sure that we were heading in the right direction in order to get to the check in desk.

N.

We are thinking of the Native Choice tour, but I'm nervous about booking the tour with the lunch with the Mayan family, even though it sounds like fun, due to concerns about stomach-upset issues (not spicy food, but germs). Is this a concern? Given that this company is getting such great reviews, it's hard to believe that people are getting sick, but why do you feel that it's "safe" to eat/drink on this tour? Same kind of question about whatever drinks they serve on the bus returning from the ruins tour -- what is it and is it safe? Thanks!

Same kind of question about whatever drinks they serve on the bus returning from the ruins tour -- what is it and is it safe?

It was bottled water, and we had no problems. Seriously if you are concerned about the standards for food prep and germs and such, e-mail them. They'll respond. We didn't go for the lunch, just the ruins, but they were SO helpful when we e-mailed them about the ruins tour, I'm sure they'll be happy to answer any and all questions. Don't worry about appearing "paranoid" :) -- David & Ivan are well aware of tourist concerns, and I'm confident they will provide enough info for you to make an informed decision.

Archived