Flip flops on tenders?

angiemom

I'm amazed at the flimsy footwear some people wear on tenders. You never know when it is going to rock or roll as you get off. When we were in Hawaii the seas didn't look bad when we got off the ship, but by the time we got back swells were very high. Women in skimpy sandals and flipflops had an awful time getting off. Why risk an ankle injury that could ruin your cruise?

I have never seen a ramp to get on or off, but there are a lot of cruise lines I have not tried. (Yet)

We cruise to hot places so I'am always in flip flops. And we have had rough seas on occasion. No problem. There are crew to help you time the swells if need be.

Not saying this could'nt happen, just saying nothing bad has happened to me or anyone in our groups.

I'd say use your own judgment! I am a person who can turn an ankle and fall from standing still - weak ankles - doesn't matter what I'm wearing. But I've always worn sandals on the tenders and had no problems. Just pay attention to your balance and take all the helping hands you might be offered!

I'd say use your own judgment! I am a person who can turn an ankle and fall from standing still - weak ankles - doesn't matter what I'm wearing. But I've always worn sandals on the tenders and had no problems. Just pay attention to your balance and take all the helping hands you might be offered!

As a senior, I always wear a walking shoe upon boarding and when leaving and returning to the ship. I feel that it gives me more support and stability than a sandal or flip flop. Just remember, we've all been there, in my day 4" heel, flip flops and every trend that came along. Unfortunately, we all grow older and can no longer tolerate all the latest trends.

To all the seniors that can keep up, YOU GO, GIRL!!!

I always wear flip-flops when going ashore, whether it's by tender or docking. They're my most comfortable summer shoes (but the kind I like have an arch and fit tighter on my foot). I think going on a tender with flip-flops that you know slip off easily would not be a wise move, but if you know they tend to stay on your feet well, go for it!

HI, I have worn flip flops and tennis shoes , etc. But I have found that the Teva sandals with the straps that keep them on secure and have good rubber treads on the sole , work very well if things get a bit wet and slippery , which can happen in a tender if it is a bit rocky, and we have always had to step from ship to tender (no ramp) with help of crew. Usually goes well.

Cori

Just be very careful going down the steps to the tender. On my HAL cruise last month, I had boarded the tender at Georgetown and was one row behind the door. A heavy-set older woman, who apparently wasn't being all that careful holding on, slipped on the steps and fell down and halfway into the tender. She slammed her left arm and shoulder into the doorway right in front of me. The crew members weren't big enough to stop her fall or even pick her up and she was in danger of falling between the tender and the stairs. Fortunately, one of the passengers was a big young guy who jumped up and was strong enough to lift her up onto the platform. She broke her arm. And, yes, she was wearing tennis shoes.

It's not what you wear, it's how carefully you go down those stairs, which are slippery. And, if you do fall, don't count on the crew being able to stop your fall or help in any way. Hold onto both railings and take your time. Don't ruin your vacation.

I love to wear flip flops but a couple of years ago decided to always wear a pair of tennis shoes on the tenders and bring the flip flops in my bag. The seas got really rough while we were at Princess Cays and it was quite slippery on the tender returning to Crown Princess. It was difficult to keep my balance getting off the tender and onto the ship. Thankfully the crew was great about helping people off as the tender bobbed up and down.

I think that it depends on your comfort level in flip flops. No crew member (and I would asume no passenger) would be surprised to see you getting on the tender in flip flops! When I cruise to the caribbean or Mexico sometimes I don't even bring any shoes besides flip flops and sandals! There is always at least one crew member assisting passengers onto the tenders and it is my personal opinion that any footwear would be just fine!

Archived