question about dress code

ward497

On our Solstice cruise, some did wear travel clothes on the first and last night which included jeans, but I didn't really notice much of that on any other night, or the 'dressy shorts' someone asked about. My personal opinon is if you're going to bring 'dressy shorts' which you aren't going to wear knocking around the ship during the day, then bring pants. Issue resolved.

I didn't really look much (I don't really care what others wear), but it seemed the great majority were in line with Celebrity guidance, especially Formal Night. I wore a suit as did our talelmates, but he added a bow tie and it looked 'dressier' - may try that myself!

And the ship does enforce dress codes. At a social Captans Club event, a young couple was in line ahead of us in sweat pants/sweaters and were politely stopped. So for those that say this is their cruise and will wear as they wish, or come on this forum and are told what the proper wear is, but continue to look for 'approval' to wear whatever you want, go for it and hope it works out, but please don't come here to get the concurrence you want. Either follow the guidelines or don't but do it on your own 'dime'.

Denny

I agree Denny. It really gets old when Celebrity makes it very clear what the dress code is and people continue to search for approval on a message board. There are always a lot of excuses and self-righteousness and the truth is it's a very simple thing to just dress properly or make other arrangements. Otherwise just do your thing, but don't expect everyone to give you the stamp of approval.

Go out and get drunk too or smoke wherever you want, you are on vacation, do whatever you want. Poor advice that has been debunked many times on this board. Same old lame retort...

You seem pretty uptight about this, Don. Maybe you need a vacation. :)

BTW, I WILL get drunk, don't smoke, and will be wearing a tuxedo on formal nights. I am not naive enough, however, to think that the entire passenger list will also be dressed formally as indicated by other posts in this very thread and certainly can't be bothered to care enough one way or the other to rant on about.

Like I alluded to, wear what you're going to be comfortable wearing. If that means 'running the gauntlet' and getting turned away or, in the alternative, making it into the dining room and then realizing that you're under-dressed and feeling either good or bad about it, so be it. People will know better the next time.

It's not for me or you to decide and it is quite clear that the dress-code is much more a guideline than it is a rule or law. At the end of the day it is still a VACATION and not something I am going to let influence my enjoyment of in any way.

Cheers.

i wasn't looking for approval. just asking a question. sorry if i put anyone out i thought that, that was what these boards were for (infro) my mistake

The latest remarks were not directed at you. Your question was answered and then more were asked.

You seem pretty uptight about this, Don. Maybe you need a vacation. :)

BTW, I WILL get drunk, don't smoke, and will be wearing a tuxedo on formal nights. I am not naive enough, however, to think that the entire passenger list will also be dressed formally as indicated by other posts in this very thread and certainly can't be bothered to care enough one way or the other to rant on about.

Like I alluded to, wear what you're going to be comfortable wearing. If that means 'running the gauntlet' and getting turned away or, in the alternative, making it into the dining room and then realizing that you're under-dressed and feeling either good or bad about it, so be it. People will know better the next time.

It's not for me or you to decide and it is quite clear that the dress-code is much more a guideline than it is a rule or law. At the end of the day it is still a VACATION and not something I am going to let influence my enjoyment of in any way.

Cheers.

Not uptight have been on three vacations in last two months and am sitting in Disney right now.. This board is for giving correct information which when a person asks a question they should get. Your information is factually incorrect which is not what the posters deserve....Also, its rather selfish....

Because it is changed as needed, also, I am not going to argue with you, this has been discussed numerous times since it was changed by Celebrity when they changed their dress codes about two years ago. I don't know how to say this politily but it's really been a settled issue for at least a year....Your trying to argue something that was changed two years ago. Bottom line, they don't enforce their rules anyway....

Well... so they missed out the word "dark" on the website, I would think that even though it is not there, the intent of the dress code is perfectly obvious, nobody is going to wear a D.J./Tux without black trousers, stands to reason that any suit would be "dark" for a formal night.

As others have said, the dress code is there, it's perfectly clear & people can seek approval all they like on message boards, but it won't change it.

Originally Posted by golfusaofcs viewpost.gif

are nice jeans some nights for male/female acceptable.

No....

I think I've gotten to the root of the problem here, and I'm surprised no one has addressed this before. It's Celebrity's fault with their poor, weasel-worded language of their dress code!!!

From Celebrity's website:

"You will need three types of clothing on your Celebrity cruise: casual shipboard attire or day wear, conservative port wear and eveningwear.

Daywear includes slacks or pants, blouses or shirts, knit tops or polo shirts. Bring a pair of sneakers or rubber-soled shoes for deck sports and a swimsuit cover-up for cool areas on the ship.

Port wear for women includes a casual dress, skirt and blouse, or pants outfit; for men, casual pants or walking shorts, and polo-type shirts. Comfortable walking shoes are a must."

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Check out my underlined text in the Celebrity dress code above. They manage to cite three different terms for that garment worn on the bottom part of the body: "slacks", "pants", and "casual pants". Nowhere are these defined, and nowhere is the word "jeans" mentioned!

If you make the logical assumption that slacks are not jeans, but pants can encompass both jeans and non-jeans, then what the heck are "casual pants"? If Celebrity really wants to maintain the dress code, they need to be more specific, and not bandy about terms without definition.

After months of prowling about this site, I have definitely come to the realization that jeans are a no-no in the dining room, and I will not abuse this view on our Panama Canal cruise starting on Sunday. I have also rented a tux for the formal nights, so no problem there.

But I honestly think that much of the confusion over dress code and the jeans issue stems from Celebrity weasel-wording their dress code. So don't berate some poor guy wearing jeans in the dining room on "smart casual" nights, he may not have had the benefit of having found Cruise Critic and learned that the prevailing view is not to wear jeans. He has probably only read the dress code from Celebrity in his cruise docs, logically assumed that "pants" includes jeans (with no holes), and has complied with that view.

As long as Celebrity is vague on their dress code wording, we will continue to have these threads!

Cheers,

Paul (aka mgcarnut)

This is a dinner jacket.

Why wouldn't a guy want to wear a hot jacket to dinner when he can?

Was your centry cruise a short (3 or 4)night cruise or a longer (7 to 11) day cruise? I ask because I've herd that some of the shorter cruises tend to be more casual.

On all the Celebrity cruises I've been on the vast majority of men wear Tuxes or suits, with more in tuxes than suits, on formal nights. This includes the Caribbean cruises even though these tend to be less formal than other cruises. While you can get by in a dressy sport jacket you'll feel more in line with the crowd wearing something dressier.

And yes, I have sometimes seen a small handful of people dressed casually in the dining room on formal nights, so apparently the dress code isn't always "enforced" although they certainly looked very out of place.

I looked through pictures from our cruise last spring that not only showed formal night but had a number of people in the background so you could see how they were dressed and came up with these (click here) and another from a year ago (click here)

Hope this helps a little.

Funny thing I decided to look through your pictures and saw Bill and Marilynn...we met them on a Summit cruise and then we all went on another cruise on Millie.

I have sailed X a few times and I have sailed on other lines as well and if I didn't want to dress formal or dress smart casual then I would not chose X as my vacation cruiseline.

There is a line that will allow shorts and t-shirts along with flip flops on formal night and maybe that would be the line for those that would rather not follow the X dress code. It begins with a C and ends in an L

But I honestly think that much of the confusion over dress code and the jeans issue stems from Celebrity weasel-wording their dress code. So don't berate some poor guy wearing jeans in the dining room on "smart casual" nights, he may not have had the benefit of having found Cruise Critic and learned that the prevailing view is not to wear jeans. He has probably only read the dress code from Celebrity in his cruise docs, logically assumed that "pants" includes jeans (with no holes), and has complied with that view.

(aka mgcarnut)

In my opinion Celebrity deliberately words things this way as they don't want to lose business for something so trivial. I still don't understand how someones choice of pants, which are all but hidden from sight under a table, can impact your dinner.

I have called them on more then one occasion and on each of those occasions I have been told that jeans are allowed in the MDR. Their website certainly supports that as well as the fact that I have never seen nor heard of anyone being turned away from the MDR when showing up in jeans. Just because some people here claim that jeans are not allowed or are not acceptable doesn't make it correct. It is Celebrity's decision as to what to allow and they obviously allow jeans. While I agree one wearing jeans will be in the minority, it certainly isn't taboo.

For those of you who say jeans are not allowed, and continue to tell people to cruise another line that does allow them, may I suggest you sail another line that specifically does NOT allow them like Cunard.

http://www.cunard.com/FAQ/faq.asp?Cat=&View=ViewArticle&Mode=News&ContentID=3671&LeftNav=&Active=&Sub=&OB=&ArticleID=11

This is the page from Celebrity's website titled Proper Dining Attire. Read the section that says before six. It's clear to me but some people just seem to only read what they want to.

It's strange that any time I've called Celebrity they say jeans are not allowed in the evening in the dining room.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000bOZ1cfxlx5Rk2AZ66ZRVPGr:12hdebdrn?pagename=proper_dining_attire

Well... so they missed out the word "dark" on the website, I would think that even though it is not there, the intent of the dress code is perfectly obvious, nobody is going to wear a D.J./Tux without black trousers, stands to reason that any suit would be "dark" for a formal night.

As others have said, the dress code is there, it's perfectly clear & people can seek approval all they like on message boards, but it won't change it.

You can continue to read what you want but as I stated this has been settled for a couple of years. If I want to wear a light colored suit, it is within the guidelines as stated by Celebrity. My last comment on this subject....

Jeans at a formal dinner implies that the wearer of said jeans has a lack of respect for the effort made by the restaurant to create an elegant atmosphere for its patrons, the majority of whom will be attired appropriately.

I understand why Celebrity would not want to 'bite the hand that feeds them' by denying someone entry to the MDR for not being properly attired. That being said, those who'd prefer to remain in their jeans all day should just order room service in the comfort of their own cabin. :)

are nice jeans some nights for male/female acceptable.

I think I've gotten to the root of the problem here, and I'm surprised no one has addressed this before. It's Celebrity's fault with their poor, weasel-worded language of their dress code!!!

From Celebrity's website:

"You will need three types of clothing on your Celebrity cruise: casual shipboard attire or day wear, conservative port wear and eveningwear.

Daywear includes slacks or pants, blouses or shirts, knit tops or polo shirts. Bring a pair of sneakers or rubber-soled shoes for deck sports and a swimsuit cover-up for cool areas on the ship.

Port wear for women includes a casual dress, skirt and blouse, or pants outfit; for men, casual pants or walking shorts, and polo-type shirts. Comfortable walking shoes are a must."

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Check out my underlined text in the Celebrity dress code above. They manage to cite three different terms for that garment worn on the bottom part of the body: "slacks", "pants", and "casual pants". Nowhere are these defined, and nowhere is the word "jeans" mentioned!

If you make the logical assumption that slacks are not jeans, but pants can encompass both jeans and non-jeans, then what the heck are "casual pants"? If Celebrity really wants to maintain the dress code, they need to be more specific, and not bandy about terms without definition.

After months of prowling about this site, I have definitely come to the realization that jeans are a no-no in the dining room, and I will not abuse this view on our Panama Canal cruise starting on Sunday. I have also rented a tux for the formal nights, so no problem there.

As long as Celebrity is vague on their dress code wording, we will continue to have these threads!

Cheers,

Paul (aka mgcarnut)

Celebrity is vague and inconsistent with their dress codes and more importantly with their enforcement. Either have the dress codes and enforce them or eliminate them. I have been saying that for the last couple of years since they decided not to enforce their own rules...

This is the page from Celebrity's website titled Proper Dining Attire. Read the section that says before six. It's clear to me but some people just seem to only read what they want to.

It's strange that any time I've called Celebrity they say jeans are not allowed in the evening in the dining room.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000bOZ1cfxlx5Rk2AZ66ZRVPGr:12hdebdrn?pagename=proper_dining_attire

If only edocs said the same thing, or even the dress code FAQ.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000Vxe8c4AoDnLohdU-xh22_LB:12hdebebp?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=478&pagename=faq_answers

All those items say is "pants". And jeans, by definition are pants.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/jeans

Again, if you don't like a cruise line who obviously allows jeans (despite it certainly being a minority of people wearing them) you can cruise a line that most certainly doesn't allow them.

And if Celebrity absolutely didn't allow them their enforcement, message, and documentation should be consistent.

As a Brit I find the term "pants" odd as we wear "pants'' under our trousers!

I think "Jeans" means what it says, "long trousers" equally so & "pants" are some other form of garb in the trouser department.I don't think people are really that naive to not know what is meant & also that someone wanting to go on a Celebrity cruise doesn't know what a dinner jacket/tux is.

This dress type thing comes up all over, on land as well..I don't understand what people read into a dress code that implies ''you are on holiday do as you like''

We like Celebrity because people DO dress up. On our last cruise (RCCL) a man wore baggy blue jeans and a long sleeved gray T shirt to EVERY dinner all 14 nights...it appeared to be the same set of clothes. You don't want to dress up, go on Carnival or to the buffett. There is a dress code and it doesn't say wear what you want you are on vacation.

There are other options than Carnival. Amamara for instance has business casual.

AH HAH! Methinks I've found where the root problem lies - Celebrity has MORE THAN ONE LOCATION on their website for dress code information, and they are NOT identical!

Ma Bell found the above location (under Dining/Proper Dining Attire) which indeed notes that jeans are only allowed in the dining room after six PM. Granted, BUT...

If you follow the FAQs to Dress Code (What are the onboard dress codes?) or put "dress code" in the Search block, you come to another section that is identical to the one Ma Bell found, EXCEPT there is no Before Six paragraph that talks about jeans. There is no mention of jeans at all.

I have to review procedures all the time at work for consistency and conformance with ISO 9001/14001 requirements, and Celebrity's website would fail miserably. No wonder people come away with different interpretations of the same subject!

Cheers,

Paul (aka mgcarnut)

AH HAH! Methinks I've found where the root problem lies - Celebrity has MORE THAN ONE LOCATION on their website for dress code information, and they are NOT identical!

Ma Bell found the above location (under Dining/Proper Dining Attire) which indeed notes that jeans are only allowed in the dining room after six PM. Granted, BUT...

If you follow the FAQs to Dress Code (What are the onboard dress codes?) or put "dress code" in the Search block, you come to another section that is identical to the one Ma Bell found, EXCEPT there is no Before Six paragraph that talks about jeans. There is no mention of jeans at all.

I have to review procedures all the time at work for consistency and conformance with ISO 9001/14001 requirements, and Celebrity's website would fail miserably. No wonder people come away with different interpretations of the same subject!

Cheers,

Paul (aka mgcarnut)

Well if that's the case (and I believe your are 100% correct), then how can anybody on HERE be the authority on the subject?

But I honestly think that much of the confusion over dress code and the jeans issue stems from Celebrity weasel-wording their dress code.

Could be that it is actually Celebrity taking the high-road: making suggestions and recommendations in the dress code but realizing that they can't/won't enforce dress code specifics. After all, no one wants a legislated uniform to wear on a cruise. Hopefully everyone is there to enjoy themselves and realizes that there are differences in people/personalities/interpretations/intentions/abilities/resources that are neither malicious nor neglectful. Again, if you sell tickets as low as $300 for a weekend cruise, you can't expect everyone to own/rent a tuxedo or even a dark jacket. And if those people want to eat good any night of the cruise for a vacation they paid for, they ought to be able to.

Folks, it is quite simplistic. It is simply a matter of proper manners and consideration of the feelings of your fellow passengers.

Jack Jack Jack... How antiquated! Proper manners... feelings of others... Jack, this is the age of Celebrity (as in Paris H., Twitter); Jack - everythings about ME, all the time! Tweet!:D

I have heard that on formal nights (as well as all other nights) that part of the upstairs buffet area is turned into a bistro and you do not have to dress formally for that dining experience. Is this true? I heard there is a $2 charge for this.

I am taking my father to Alaska in May and he does not own a suite and we are planning on just going up to the bistro on formal evenings.

Let me know if I need to rethink the plans. We can still order off the dining room menu for in-room dining in the evening can't we?

We did that on the Infinity! One formal night we just did not want to go to the MDR.

The bistro was great! A window seat is almost guaranteed! Food is different from MDR. They have their own. The service was impeccable. And it was fun for the two of us to dine alone even though I prefer a table for 8 in the MDR. I totally recommend it! Well worth $2. each. We had our cash with us and tipped a little extra because we were so pampered!

Could be that it is actually Celebrity taking the high-road: making suggestions and recommendations in the dress code but realizing that they can't/won't enforce dress code specifics. After all, no one wants a legislated uniform to wear on a cruise. Hopefully everyone is there to enjoy themselves and realizes that there are differences in people/personalities/interpretations/intentions/abilities/resources that are neither malicious nor neglectful. Again, if you sell tickets as low as $300 for a weekend cruise, you can't expect everyone to own/rent a tuxedo or even a dark jacket. And if those people want to eat good any night of the cruise for a vacation they paid for, they ought to be able to.

On the Infinity in Oct, a man at our table came to dinner in short shorts.

He stood out but no one said anything. He was 75 and the shorts were short!

However on formal night I saw a man turned away at the entrance because he didn't have a jacket. Tie didn't seem to matter on formal night but they were sticklers for the jacket.

We always dress appropriately because I don't want to look foolish.

We are going on our first cruise ever - to the med in July. One of the main reasons for choosing Celebrity is for the formality of formal nights. Although we are professional people one rarely has the opportunity to really "go for it".

Archived