What are 'water shoes'?

jtsbusiness

Photos:

The first image is of typical water shoes. Some come higher up the ankle. They usually include some sort of mesh to allow water to travel into and out of the shoe.

The second image is a typical hiking sandal. They are generally waterproof. They would have a thicker sole with more traction than the water shoe.

If you're walking on a smoother surface, the water shoe works well. Used them for climbing Dunns River Falls. Have also used them for kayaking.

If you're hiking in a rain forest or rocky trail, the hiking sandals work better. They offer more protection to the sole of your feet, should you encounter a protrusion from the ground. They also grip better if you're walking in muddy areas where you might slip and fall.

Hiking sandals are NOT cheap. The best ones cover your toes, to keep you from accidentally stubbing them.

I own both and probably get more use out of the hiking sandals.

1508557791_watershoes_JPG.jpg.b071aec68e5931d3cc150ac56d6d1af6.jpg

Teva.jpg.a8d6a817a095bd20b252ddd31ea3e974.jpg

Ohter than the drawbacks you mentioned (minor really, but...), they would be great in Alaska. But I'm afraid they would fall apart too quickly in the warmer climates....:D

Well, in Alaska you wouldn't actually NOTICE that your feet were cold, I guess.:D

Thanks for all the sensible replies.

We are walking in Dominica where it is advised to use water shoes, and also we keep seeing them referred to for beach use.

It is almost impossible to get my size in the UK (8.0 or 39 or 6)!

I have done what has been suggested and googled Keen and Treva and Merrel but they have them in very small sizes and very large sizes. Obviously our beaches are so soft they don't think they are required!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I am just between seasons!

However, now that I know what I am looking for it may be a bit easier.

Again thank you all for your help. It is a shame no-one from the UK has been able to give some advice, but it just shows how rare they are here.

I got mine from Lands End and loved them. brought them on my last cruise and will bring them from now on. they are also great for just walking around the slippery decks

The OP is in the UK and having trouble locating these over there. Not sure if Lands End ships to the UK.

Thanks for all the sensible replies.

We are walking in Dominica where it is advised to use water shoes, and also we keep seeing them referred to for beach use.

It is almost impossible to get my size in the UK (8.0 or 39 or 6)!

I have done what has been suggested and googled Keen and Treva and Merrel but they have them in very small sizes and very large sizes. Obviously our beaches are so soft they don't think they are required!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I am just between seasons!

However, now that I know what I am looking for it may be a bit easier.

Again thank you all for your help. It is a shame no-one from the UK has been able to give some advice, but it just shows how rare they are here.

UK 6 - try these -

reduced to £9.50 plus postage

http://www.landsend.co.uk/pp/Mary-Jane-Water-Shoes-~5379_253.html?bcc=y&CM_MERCH=SRCH_00001&origin=search

they have mens too

http://www.landsend.co.uk/pp/Beach-Trekkers~5453_253.html?bcc=y&CM_MERCH=SRCH_00001&origin=search

with love Jan from the UK!!

Hi

I could kiss you!! I have been on this site several times, but always to no avail. This time they had my size and colour - fantastic.

Only problem was, on checking details I found they had an outlet shop only half an hour away, so we decided to go and try them on. Three hours later, two jackets, three pairs of shoes for myself, another pair for my husband, a jumper for him, and trousers for me, we left the shop considerably pounds down!! Still I got what I wanted, just a few things more - but they will always come in useful!!!!!!!

Many thank again to everyone

Jan

Archived