What are 'water shoes'?

jtsbusiness

Water shoes are usually shoes with a mesh upper and some sort of rubber sole. These will help protect your feet if you are walking on a rocky beach or a beach with a lot of shells on it. A lot of people who snorkel and scuba will use them to help protect their feet from reefs if they aren't wearing flippers.

Water shoes can also be sandels or shoes that looks like hiking boots, if you google "water shoes" you can see all kinds of designs at all price levels. I just bought some last month for $15.

For most beaches bare feet or flip flops will be fine, most people use them on excursions.

They are usually slip on stretchy shoes that cover the whole foot & have a sturdy bottom for traction & protection.

Many carribean beaches are rocky & uneven. You may have to go out a ways to get to someplace that you can paddle.

I keep seeing referrals to 'water shoes'. What exactly are they?

Are there problems visiting the Caribbean islands and just paddling in the sea?

:confused::confused::confused:

A must have if you are say climbing dunn falls or walking in water anywhere its flows fast, has rocky bottom. Flip flops, crocs etc. don't cut it for things like that. They also do well walking around from pool to cabin as they are far more slip resistant then flipflops or crocs.

http://www.rei.com/category/4501262

A must have if you are say climbing dunn falls or walking in water anywhere its flows fast, has rocky bottom. Flip flops, crocs etc. don't cut it for things like that. They also do well walking around from pool to cabin as they are far more slip resistant then flipflops or crocs.

http://www.rei.com/category/4501262

And also offer a little protection from those very healthy sea urchins......

I've always thought of water shoes as the rubber-bottoms with some sort of mesh tops. Some look a little like rubber socks. They don't have a lot of traction, but we used shoes like this for climbing Dunns River Falls.

I recently purchased Teva hiking sandals. They have soles that grip - like tire tread - and are waterproof. I use them for kayaking and will use them to hike in the rain forest, where we'll walk in and out of water.

The water shoes keep your feet cool, because some water gets trapped in them. However, it can be a little uncomfortable to walk on rocky surfaces because you feel everything through the soles. They are not thick at all. They are also prone to getting pebbles stuck in them. (At least mine do.)

The sandals are better for rocky or really slippery surfaces.

Flip flops are fine for walking on dry sand, but you don't want to do anything with water in flip=flops...your feet will slip and slide...

I've never needed water shoes for any of the beaches, for taking a dip or sunning. If you're into more "physical" water stuff, you may.

I have the ones from Land's End. They are comfortable enough to wear on a variety of surfaces. It protects my feet from rocks, sharp shells, hot sand or pavement etc. I have used them on jungle type paths, waterfalls and at water parks. I have found that the cheap ones tend to create blisters.

Thanks everybody. I have tried to Google them in the UK and they all seem to be out of stock. We are flying from Gatwick to Montego Bay. Would it be possible to buy them at airports, or local shops in the Caribbean?

Sorry to sound so dumb!

Thanks everybody. I have tried to Google them in the UK and they all seem to be out of stock. We are flying from Gatwick to Montego Bay. Would it be possible to buy them at airports, or local shops in the Caribbean?

Sorry to sound so dumb!

They are also called reef shoes so try that on line perhaps Asda or Tesco or even a camping/fishing shop should have some good luck we have just bought some here in oz rom Big W (woolworths) for $9.99

I think you could find them anywhere that beach wear is sold.

Do pay attention to the mesh. The larger mesh holes allow sand in which makes for great discomfort.

I always have mine for the beach and otherwise use them at the health club - great for water aerobics to keep your feet from slipping on the pool bottom, and protects the feet from :eek: in the locker room.

If climbing Dunns River Falls (Ocho Rios) is on your "to do" list, get water shoes. The water shoes give you traction and the slippery surface can cause you to slip, slide and get a nasty cut. Anywhere you might hike or walk that has a surface covered in moss or coral is where you want to have the water shoes. We've never used them on a beach because the sand that gets inside them is pure torture.

The only shoes I can find in the Uk are Gumbies Aqua Shoes but not sure what the sole is like. I particularly want a pair for walking in Dominica across boulders alongside a water fall and also for snorkling.

I take a size 6 (39) and there just seems to be nothing out there. Can I order them for the USA. I really am not into internet buying.

I need something waterproof and also with a robust sole.

Please please can somebody help?????????????????

Water Shoes - Lands End always carries too water shoes.

I just got back from the west carib... and no, I didn't use them.

For the stingrays, they don't want you wearing shoes...they want your barefoot.

Another thing that would work are those sponge rubber clogs -- you can pay $30.00 for the "real things" at Dilliards, Academy Sports. I have 1 real pair and 1 pair I paid $5.00 for at Walmart -- the Walmart ones are great...

It's pretty easy to make your own 'Water Shoes'.

Find two water-tight pans (bread pans are a good size).

Sit down and put your feet into the pans and fill with water until the

water level is an appropriate height. If you need extra ankle support, you

might need taller pans. To add a personal 'decorator' touch, add glitter,

colorful ribbon,tropical fish or beads prior to the next step.

Now, stand (or sit,your preference) in a large freezer until your new

'shoes' are prepared (frozen).

Voila! Water Shoes.

There are some drawbacks to using these shoes. Sitting,walking or

standing in them is particularly difficult. Running in them is pretty much

impossible. They DO float, so swimming with them on is an adventure.

Ok, I guess they aren't REAL practical after all. :D

I keep seeing referrals to 'water shoes'. What exactly are they?

Are there problems visiting the Caribbean islands and just paddling in the sea?

:confused::confused::confused:

Check out a couple of the brands I've seen people on the boards mention using --- Keen and Teva.

The company website for Keen and the company website for Teva list retail locations for different countries, including the UK.

You may find other brands of water shoes in the stores where these brands are sold, too.

Check out the fashion and shopping (?name?) board on Cruise Critic to read past threads on water shoes. You can see what people like and don't like about the shoes they've purchased.

Good luck in your shopping and have fun on your cruise.

It's pretty easy to make your own 'Water Shoes'.

Find two water-tight pans (bread pans are a good size).

Sit down and put your feet into the pans and fill with water until the

water level is an appropriate height. If you need extra ankle support, you

might need taller pans. To add a personal 'decorator' touch, add glitter,

colorful ribbon,tropical fish or beads prior to the next step.

Now, stand (or sit,your preference) in a large freezer until your new

'shoes' are prepared (frozen).

Voila! Water Shoes.

There are some drawbacks to using these shoes. Sitting,walking or

standing in them is particularly difficult. Running in them is pretty much

impossible. They DO float, so swimming with them on is an adventure.

Ok, I guess they aren't REAL practical after all. :D

Ohter than the drawbacks you mentioned (minor really, but...), they would be great in Alaska. But I'm afraid they would fall apart too quickly in the warmer climates....:D

Archived