Immigration Tips

Italy52

We will be arriving Vancouver Airport approximately 12:50 PM one day prior to our May 21st cruise. Any tips on navigating the Immigration lines? Using your best estimate, how long do you think it will take us to clear Immigration?

We will be arriving Vancouver Airport approximately 12:50 PM one day prior to our May 21st cruise. Any tips on navigating the Immigration lines? Using your best estimate, how long do you think it will take us to clear Immigration?

I don't believe you can do much to expedite your waiting time other than to get off the plane quickly and be one of the first in line. Have your Passport ready and answer all questions confidently.

If the customs officer had a fight with his/her spouse that morning or if they have been told to be on the watch for certain profiles then there is nothing you can do.

As a cruise passenger with a return ticket to the US I don't think you should have any problem.

I don't believe you can do much to expedite your waiting time other than to get off the plane quickly and be one of the first in line. Have your Passport ready and answer all questions confidently.

If the customs officer had a fight with his/her spouse that morning or if they have been told to be on the watch for certain profiles then there is nothing you can do.

As a cruise passenger with a return ticket to the US I don't think you should have any problem.

Thanks. Last year someone posted on the port board that once off the plane they noticed that a certain line moved faster than another and suggested that people gravitate towards that. I kept the post for future use but when my computer crashed I lost all my notes.

If you are arriving at 1pm the day before, I am sure you will clear immigration long before the time to board your ship.

If you are arriving at 1pm the day before, I am sure you will clear immigration long before the time to board your ship.

LOL -- I realize that I will clear in PLENTY of time to board the ship, just wanted to get an approximation on timing for our hotel purposes and running errands. :D

Hi there, and welcome to Vancouver (when you get here). :)

It's impossible to say how long your wait will be; obviously, if there are other International flights just in you'll all be waiting together. There may be someone directing you to a certain line; there is nothing you can physically do but wait. We've gotten through in a few minutes, and we've also waited much longer. Please don't worry about this; it's beyond your control. ;)

I read once that most of us tend to gravitate toward the "right", such as a line, a lane on the freeway, when entering a store, etc. So advice was to go to the left for the shortest wait. Hmm. I don't know if it's correct; maybe try it and tell us!

Hi there, and welcome to Vancouver (when you get here). :)

It's impossible to say how long your wait will be; obviously, if there are other International flights just in you'll all be waiting together. There may be someone directing you to a certain line; there is nothing you can physically do but wait. We've gotten through in a few minutes, and we've also waited much longer. Please don't worry about this; it's beyond your control. ;)

I read once that most of us tend to gravitate toward the "right", such as a line, a lane on the freeway, when entering a store, etc. So advice was to go to the left for the shortest wait. Hmm. I don't know if it's correct; maybe try it and tell us!

Thanks for the post. Believe me, I am not worried about the length of time it takes to go through Immigration --- have been through other Immigration check points before (know it can take a lot of patience) --- just not coming into Vancouver --- was just looking for a general idea --- like the longest wait someone had experienced. :)

Thanks for the post. Believe me, I am not worried about the length of time it takes to go through Immigration --- have been through other Immigration check points before (know it can take a lot of patience) --- just not coming into Vancouver --- was just looking for a general idea --- like the longest wait someone had experienced. :)

Didn't someone spend several months trying to clear immigration? Yes, now I remember, here is a link ...

http://www.empiremovies.com/2004/06/18/movie-review-the-terminal/

Thanks. Last year someone posted on the port board that once off the plane they noticed that a certain line moved faster than another and suggested that people gravitate towards that. I kept the post for future use but when my computer crashed I lost all my notes.

I generally find that the fastest lines are the ones I am not standing in.

avoid a line that has one adult with kids. Canadian immigration inspects very carefully to make sure one parent isn't trying to runaway with the kids from the other parent. If they don't have their papers completely in order you could be tapping your toes for a long time. Sometimes there is a line for airline crew. Try and get the line next to that one if possible. If no crew is coming through the officer will usually wave over the person from the next closest line. Other than that it is pretty much a crap shoot.

avoid a line that has one adult with kids. Canadian immigration inspects very carefully to make sure one parent isn't trying to runaway with the kids from the other parent. If they don't have their papers completely in order you could be tapping your toes for a long time. Sometimes there is a line for airline crew. Try and get the line next to that one if possible. If no crew is coming through the officer will usually wave over the person from the next closest line. Other than that it is pretty much a crap shoot.

Thanks for the tip, appreciate it.

Your worst dream will involve arriving 1/2 hour behind two or three other 747 + foreign arrivals. That's when the immigration hall gets kind of plugged up....but in the past several years as YVR has expanded and modernized we found that coming home from overseas is relatively painless when it comes to a long wait.

BTW the one thing I noticed our last time through YVR immigration is that they have hidden the washrooms away at the very back of the room with very poor signage. I only note this because my first stop when I get off a plane is normally the bathroom!!!

• 2 weeks later...
What ID is needed for crossing into Canada? If it is a round trip cruise, do you still need a passport and what about the cruise starting in Canada but ending in AK?

You now require a passport for travel between Canada and the United States. If you do not have one and your ship either visits ports in the other country, or disembarks in another country, you will not be allowed to board the ship at the pier.

Depending on how many flights are arriving at the same time you may find little or no delays at immigration or a fairly long line. It looks worse than it is most of the time. I don't think we've ever been in line more than a half hour.:)

Archived