Corinth

ROCruiser

We found Corinth very interesting (on a day trip from Athens during which we also visited Mycenae, Epidauras and Nauplion). Since you have a day in Nauplion, you might find it better to do the trip from there especially if you haven't been to Athens before and have limited time there. Here's a route for visiting these sites from Nauplion:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=nafplio&daddr=mycenae+to:corinth+to:epidavros+to:nafplio&hl=en&geocode=FbQ-PQIdWQhcASnJulj4UPCfFDEwirniLL0ABA%3BFYSNPwIdfhJbASmva72SYwKgFDGAn7riLL0ABQ%3BFVDlQgIdfepdASlfW6fgTBSgFDH0q13O5VXsyw%3BFc0iPgIdVPhgASmJfDBZwomfFDFwirniLL0ABA%3B&mra=ls&sll=37.75443,22.93808&sspn=0.66884,1.207123&ie=UTF8&ll=37.753344,22.93808&spn=0.66885,1.207123&z=10

We are interested in going to Corinth. Is it worth it? Would it be better to go there when in Athens or Napflion? Any suggestion? Thanks!

The answer is . . . YES and YES! Corinth is very interesting and historic. Found it to be fascinating. You can do it from either Athens or Napflion. Like Susan-M detailed, we visited visited Corinth, Mycenae, Epidauras and Nauplion during a day-trip from Athens before starting our cruise of the Greek Isles, Turkish Coast and finishing in Istanbul. This trip worked well and we saw a great range of locations and historic places during that swing around this Peloponnesus part of Greece. However, if you are considering what to do on a port visit from Nauplion, then the closer options of Mycenae and/or Epidauras could be easier to reach and see. Clearly, Corinth is so much about history and religion. This includes the classical Greek periods and the Roman era. Julius Caesar refounded the city in 44 BC and it became the seat of government for Southern Greece. It was noted for its wealth, sin and being where the apostle Paul visited. Paul resided here for eighteen months, was tried and wrote his Epistles to the Romans. AND, you've heard about Corinthian columns, rich "Corinthian" leathers, etc., right?

Below are some visuals examples for what you can enjoy in Corinth and nearby. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Corinth's temple columns with the mountains overlooking the town in the background:

CorinthHills.jpg

Historic Roman ruins in Corinth:

CorinthRuins.jpg

Ruins of the Roman baths in Corinth:

CorinthRuins2.jpg

Here are examples of the country landscape nearby to Corinth:

PelPenLandscape.jpg

The Corinth Canal is nearby and is a unique engineering job carved through about 260' of rock. The canal is four miles in length, 75' wide and was built between 1881 and 1893:

CorinthCanal.jpg

Epidaurus is the famed outdoor theater with super great acoustics:

GreekOutThTwo.jpg

Thank you so much for the quick responses. The pictures are beautiful, TLCOhio. We will be in Napflion from 7AM to 1PM. Do you think we will have enough time to go to Corinth? Or should we just see something closer? My husband is a minister and I thought it would be nice to hit as many Biblical sites as possible on this cruise. I know we really should take a land tour to cover more places.

Thank you so much for the quick responses. The pictures are beautiful, TLCOhio. We will be in Napflion from 7AM to 1PM. Do you think we will have enough time to go to Corinth? Or should we just see something closer? My husband is a minister and I thought it would be nice to hit as many Biblical sites as possible on this cruise. I know we really should take a land tour to cover more places.

If your ship is in port from 7 am to 1 pm, that does not mean you will have a full, net six hours on land. Your effective, net time in Napflion will be much less given the time to get off of the ship and be back 45-60 minutes or so before your ship departs.

It is roughly 30 miles, one way, from Napflion to Corinth. It is possible, but it would be a bit of tight fit, given the distance. I would keep researching and thinking about the options to Corinth either by private tour or a ship's tour. I'm not as involved as you and your husband are religiously. I have to admit, however, for me that seeing Corinth was very moving and meaningful. You understand what Peter had to deal with during his time in this city and its history. You can read about it, but seeing how that Roman temple sat on its hill and towered over the town and people says much about that time in history.

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! Here are some added visual samples on the closer options in this town and/or nearby. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

These Mycene ruins go back 2700 years from a spectacular empire:

MyceneRuins.jpg

Examples of Mycene gold:

MyceneGold.jpg

Looking down upon Nafplion from the historic fortress that overlooks the town and its harbor:

Nap.jpg

In Nafplion, there is this small fort out in the harbor:

NapIslandFort.jpg

Epidaurus has totally amazing acoustic properties. It is located on the Peloponnesos Peninsula:

Gr.jpg

We found Corinth very interesting (on a day trip from Athens during which we also visited Mycenae, Epidauras and Nauplion). Since you have a day in Nauplion, you might find it better to do the trip from there especially if you haven't been to Athens before and have limited time there. Here's a route for visiting these sites from Nauplion:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=nafplio&daddr=mycenae+to:corinth+to:epidavros+to:nafplio&hl=en&geocode=FbQ-PQIdWQhcASnJulj4UPCfFDEwirniLL0ABA%3BFYSNPwIdfhJbASmva72SYwKgFDGAn7riLL0ABQ%3BFVDlQgIdfepdASlfW6fgTBSgFDH0q13O5VXsyw%3BFc0iPgIdVPhgASmJfDBZwomfFDFwirniLL0ABA%3B&mra=ls&sll=37.75443,22.93808&sspn=0.66884,1.207123&ie=UTF8&ll=37.753344,22.93808&spn=0.66885,1.207123&z=10

Thanks Susan-M, for the map. Now I get a better idea of the area. Do you think I will have time to make the circle in half a day?

Wow! Thanks, TLCOhio. I showed my husband your pictures and he was so impressed. I will need to search for a good guide that may be able to take us that half day there.

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! YES, doing some sort of private guide/tour/driver would be much, much better as an option given your short timing window. With a larger group, lots of time is lost loading and unloading, etc. It can all work out well. Let us know any added questions. Have lots more visuals to share, if that's helpful. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Thanks Susan-M, for the map. Now I get a better idea of the area. Do you think I will have time to make the circle in half a day?

I think it's too much for the length of time that you have there due to distances and driving times, which won't leave enough time at the sites.

You could drop Epidaurus, but even going to Corinth and Mycenae will be be tight for time, since you can really only count on about 4 - 4.5 hours of sightseeing time by the time you leave the port and give yourself some lee-way in getting back on time. I think I would limit it to Mycenae from Nauplion, and then spend some time in Nauplion.

A private driver will be able to tell you what is reasonable to fit into that length of time. Good luck with your plans.:)

p.s. TLCOhio ... wonderful photos - they bring back some very nice memories!

A private driver will be able to tell you what is reasonable to fit into that length of time. Good luck with your plans.:)

p.s. TLCOhio ... wonderful photos - they bring back some very nice memories!

THANKS, Susan, for the kind comments! It's fun looking back at those photos, sharing and re-living the great memories from this wonderful trip and others. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

• 1 month later...

Archived