Couples Luggage Makes a Royal Splash

sas80

We've carried on a 29 inch (pretty big) suitcase on board with no problem. It was the only bag we packed. So it is nothing like the size restrictions for an airplane carry on bag.

And I've not been able to access my room when I first board in years. The fire doors are always closed and staff is there to keep you from opening them and going down the hall to your room. Rooms are ready around 1 usually. This has not been a problem for us. We find a seat in the WJ and we take turns getting lunch so someone is always with the luggage. After we eat we sit in a bar or lounge until rooms are ready.

....then I recommend highly just taking your luggage off yourself.

It is true that if you have to leave earlier, elevators and staircases will be mobbed and

dealing with luggage can be cumbersome (which is why I highly recommend learning to pack LIGHT).

..But if we don't have a flight until early afternoon; we just wait up on the outside pool deck until "All remaining passengers may disembark at this time" announcement..then we

wait another 10 minutes....and leave....no crowds...small line.

Much more relaxing end to a wonderful vacation.

Mitch

We should all have a reasonable expectation that our bags, once checked/given to porters/etc. will arrive safely back to us. But that doesn't always happen and it is a remarkably uninformed or truly naive passenger who thinks it can't happen to them. If it didn't happen a lot, airlines and cruiselines wouldn't publish limitations on their liability. RCL certainly lived up to their liability (and even exceed it). But the staff that reacted like the post CruisingCatherine made really exemplified good customer service.

While I feel bad for anyone who has a serious inconvenience on a vacation, we need to think about the risks we take before turning over our valuables to others.

Having said that, it was extremely bad customer service (and I am not used to seeing that on board) not to inform them up front that the bag had been damaged.

Just went on our first Celebrity cruise, but was at the same pier as RCCL in San Juan. The porters there told us we HAD to give them our carry ons and we had to give them a tip for it too for it to make it to the ship. Now, thank goodness I have cruised before because otherwise I may have been more likely to give them my carry-on. They didn't mention something like that in this case, but I saw a number of pepole in front of us giving the porters backpacks and I couldn't underrstand why, until he tried to take it out of my hands and asked for money for it.

...to be honest; when we just carry on all our luggage, I STILL offer a couple of dollars to

the porter; I realize tips are how they make any kind of money, and I appreciate their efforts even if I don't need them at the time.

On my last cruise, when he learned we would carry on ourselves he would not accept the tip; but that is rare lol.

Mitch

thats the thing though, we gave him three bags and a tip for those, then he tried to grab each of our backpacks.... it was really annoying. And it wasn't normal like a tip thing, it was "I take your bags b ut first you give me money for a tip" to be honest I didn't want to tip them at all for how pushy and rude he was. I felt like he was shaking everyone down for money. We gave him our three bags and a tip and then he again went in and after our carryons saying we need to give him more money in order to ensure our bags made it to the ship. We kept saying no and then walked away. I was afraid our bags would end up in the water because we did that!

Sounds like the porters dropped the bags in the water, not RCCL.

After hours of being out of the water,

maybe RCCL did not know what happened to the bags.

But still, she got her hair done everyday !

They got a travel voucher, got more than the $300.

And they still complain.

What would they have gotten if the bags just came up missing?

I wish they where friends of mine, I would slap them silly.

It is people like this that drive the cost up for everyone.

I feel sorry for these people, only because, of the fact "What if this had happened to me.?" We have been cruising for 5 years and done 17 cruises. One of the first thing I read on CC and advice that was given to em my friends that had cruised before was this: Pack essentials and a spare change of clothes in a carry-on. Luggage should be delivered promptly, but occassionally it is delayed. In you carry-on make sure you pack any medications you need and anything else of importance. DW & I live by these words. I would never ever relinguish my carry-on to anyone.

Like previous posters, I do fault RC or not informing them that the piece had gone for a swim, but RC receiprocated them plus she went and had her hair done every day. My wife never has her hair done while cruising.

I wish them the best and hope that they learned a valuable lesson from this.

Sounds like the porters dropped the bags in the water, not RCCL.

After hours of being out of the water,

maybe RCCL did not know what happened to the bags.

But still, she got her hair done everyday !

They got a travel voucher, got more than the $300.

And they still complain.

What would they have gotten if the bags just came up missing?

I wish they where friends of mine, I would slap them silly.

It is people like this that drive the cost up for everyone.

So if they lost your bag completely you wouldnt make a claim right?

DH saw bags go into the water as we were walking up the boarding ramp on one cruise--we wondered if they would fish them out or pretend it did not happen...what a terrible mess!!!

we are planning to carry our luggage off but now wonder if we'd be able to carry it on-- I will be posting to inquire what the rules are for doing that!!!

In our Vancouver port they have a netting beneath the luggage ramp, over the water area, to the ship from their security baggage scanner. If something falls off the moving rollers it goes into the net:)

So if they lost your bag completely you wouldn't make a claim right?

I interpreted that to mean it would then become a straightforward claim for missing luggage and clearly fall within the contractually stated limitation (which was quite a bit less than RCL gave them).

That the bag was dropped in the water, regardless of who did it, is not the issue. It is "What was the legal requirement for compensation?" and RCL exceeded that. And the problem was made greater because the passenger had critical-need items in it. Sadly, that does not increase the liability for the service provider.

So if they lost your bag completely you wouldnt make a claim right?

No it is the fact that even though RCCL, did her hair EVERYDAY, gave them Meds, Gave them more than the $300 liability limit, AND a voucher for another cruise. They still COMPLAINED. It is this YOU OWE ME attitude that makes cruises and everything else from birth to death more expensive. On another board someone THOUGHT the cruise was on a Tuesday, and it left on Monday. But they wanted RCCL to reimburse them everything, they got Taxes, Port Fees and tips back to them, but they wanted everything. Even though it was them, that did not know what day the cruise left.

Most only get $300, and yet people think they are better than everyone else, and should get everything and more.

Then people feel sorry for them and want RCCL to give them free cruises, in the best suite, free limo rides, air fare, hotels, and feet kissing.

Well I can tell you, Stock holders are not going to pay for it out of their pockets, WE WILL.

We Will, with price increases, perk cutbacks, and cheaper foods in the WJ and MDR.

So you are right, it is not their responsibility what happens to their stuff. It is always someones Else's.

I think RCCL does the best they can do, even though RCCL did not drop their bag, they took care. Better care than most get. I bet you take a poll on who got their luggage lost, and see what they got.

And NO I have NEVER spent a day on a RCCL ship. I will in April.

But come on people, your mommy is not here to watch your stuff.

And if you think your bag will get on board, even thought it is right next to the pier. Let me to be the first to tell you " It Might Not ".

[QUOTE]I agree with what Rick states above. My carry-ons stay with me period. The meds that I take daily, our lap top, camera, ipods and books are normally in that bag. We also have a small wheel type suitcase with a couple days worth of colthes and bath room stuff. So those bags stay with us. It can be a pain in th a** to drag them around with us, but this way we have what we need with us. Don't have to worry about lost or late bags on the first day. [/QUOTE]

I've always felt this way, too. ;)

How do you feel about your carry-on being taken away once on the ship? This is what happened to us on two cruises (once on a HAL ship, and once on RCCL) when we entered the Main dining room to eat lunch. Our carry-ons were grabbed at the doorway and put into a pile next to the dining entrance. I felt very uncomfortable leaving it while I dined in another area of the room. Anyone could have taken the wrong bag because we were not given any type of claim ticket (which would have been nice.)

[COLOR=blue]I tried to put myself in their position and I realized that it would suck, but.... I do think the cruise line went above and beyond to compensate them. The future cruise credit was substantial and they paid for them to get meds from the dr on ship. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]I realize it would suck to lose my estee lauder toiletries, hair brush, otc meds...but for the most part you could get some of that stuff back on the ship. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]I agee that RCCL did not handle it in the best way but they were compensated. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]I know it would have sucked but the people should have been happy with what RCCL gave them and gone on...not reported it to the news:rolleyes:

I wonder if they could have just made a claim on their homeowners insurance if they had a lot of electronics ruined...like a laptop ????[/COLOR]

[quote name='CruisinManiac']I've always felt this way, too. ;)

How do you feel about your carry-on being taken away once on the ship? This is what happened to us on two cruises (once on a HAL ship, and once on RCCL) when we entered the Main dining room to eat lunch. Our carry-ons were grabbed at the doorway and put into a pile next to the dining entrance. I felt very uncomfortable leaving it while I dined in another area of the room. Anyone could have taken the wrong bag because we were not given any type of claim ticket (which would have been nice.)[/quote]

Wow, never heard of anything like this going on. In fact, I've never seen the main dining room open on embarkation day for lunch-only the buffet in the Windjammer. Unless it was a lunch for travel agents who got to tour the ship.

I would not have left my carry on outside the door. I would have skipped lunch or eaten somewhere else.

[quote name='minnie00'][COLOR=blue]I tried to put myself in their position and I realized that it would suck, but.... I do think the cruise line went above and beyond to compensate them. The future cruise credit was substantial and they paid for them to get meds from the dr on ship. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#0000ff]I realize it would suck to lose my estee lauder toiletries, hair brush, otc meds...but for the most part you could get some of that stuff back on the ship. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]I agee that RCCL did not handle it in the best way but they were compensated. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#0000ff]I know it would have sucked but the people should have been happy with what RCCL gave them and gone on...not reported it to the news:rolleyes:

[B]I wonder if they could have just made a claim on their homeowners insurance if they had a lot of electronics ruined...like a laptop ????[/B][/COLOR][/quote]

This is the exact reason that I don't buy baggage insurance when traveling. If you read the small print on most baggage policies they state that you must go through your home/tenants insurance first before any claims will be considered. The only thing that one would get back from such a policy would be their deductible of their home/tenants insurance.

I think that it would be terrible to find that your luggage had been dropped in the water but feel that RCI gave them fair compensation. If they are further out then they should make a claim against their home/tenants insurance. As the couple took the bag to their cabin before finding the items water logged then this is where the waters get muddied so to speak. Pardon the pun. Once inside the privacy of their cabin no one would be able to know if they claimed things were in the bag that weren't really there. Also if the bag was so water damaged then it should have been obvious when they went to claim the bag.

One does expect that when the porters take the bags that they will be delivered to the ship undamaged. However things happen and one needs to be prepared for the unexpected by carrying baggage insurance or home/tenants insurance for such unfortunate incidents. Once you hand over your carry on then it becomes checked luggage. Placing valuables or important medication in checked luggage has always been unwise.

[quote name='dixieva']Wow, never heard of anything like this going on. In fact, I've never seen the main dining room open on embarkation day for lunch-only the buffet in the Windjammer. Unless it was a lunch for travel agents who got to tour the ship.

I would not have left my carry on outside the door. I would have skipped lunch or eaten somewhere else.[/QUOTE]

It is a little known fact, but HAL does serve lunch in the Main dining room on embarkation day. Also, Royal has it for VIP's, and those continuing their cruise for another week.

The bags were not left outside the door, but rather inside the entrance to the dining room. They were taken by a head waiter and stored until lunch was over. On Royal, I could still see my carry-on, but could not on HAL. Of course, I suppose I could have refused and taken it with me, but i was so shocked that it was taken away, that I didn't argue.

[QUOTE]I wonder if they could have just made a claim on their homeowners insurance if they had a lot of electronics ruined...like a laptop ????[/QUOTE]

How many electronics can a carry-on hold, along with the other things in the bag? :eek:

[quote name='CruisingCatherine']I will NEVER understand why some people will hand over their carry on baggage containing such important items. [B]Even if your stateroom is not ready, you are still allowed to drop bags in your room.[/B]
[/QUOTE]

Not anymore - you have to wait until after one when they open the fire doors. Our last cruise they made the announcement around 1:30.

[quote name='Bigtex1622']No it is the fact that even though RCCL, did her hair EVERYDAY, gave them Meds, Gave them more than the $300 liability limit, AND a voucher for another cruise. [B]They still COMPLAINED. It is this YOU OWE ME attitude that makes cruises and everything else from birth to death more expensive[/B]. [/QUOTE]

Agreed, and they obviously knew who to contact -- someone who is against Royal Caribbean :eek:

###

[quote name='LMZinSC']We were on the cruise with this couple. Met them here on CC. Unfortunately she missed the Meet & Mingle due to dealing with this situation, but we caught up with them later. It really effected their entire cruise. I felt so bad for them. They literally had to deal with issues relating to the incident every day. RCCL just handled it wrong from the beginning. Can you imagine getting your luggage back to your room, opening it and finding everything soaking wet? They should have been informed when they retrieved their luggage from Guest Relations.[/quote]

No and I can't imagine handing over a bag full of medication (and beings that I suffer from seasonal allergies that bring on a wicked ...WICKED asthma I would NEVER hand over my inhaler or my asthma meds to ANYONE! ) my tylenol ok , my sea sick pills fine but ASTHMA meds???? thats like handing over a bag with your eppi pen and saying wow I hope they don't lose it! If you wouldn't let go of it on the plane why would you let go of it at the port. Guess I'm just not a bleeding heart or maybe I'm just mean. But she got free hair and makeup ? I didn't get that for my wedding with Royal...LOL.

I almost hate to add to this post and almost hate that people could be so foolish as to hand over their carry on. How many times do people have to be told.....keep your valuables and your medications in your carry on? It's a carry on for a reason and exactly why is explained in the article.

It's also one reason we prefer to board around 1:00 pm instead of at 11 am - 12 noon, so we can go directly to our cabin and unpack our carry on.

But, I suppose one more reminder, one more new article may help another person not make the same mistake.

We once had an employee who packed crucial meds in her suitcase for a flight and her case was delayed for 2 days. She had no backup and ended up in the emergency room, she just kept delaying the phone call to the doctor/pharmacist because she thought they would think she was stupid. No, instead of just the doctor knowing, her friends/family/co-workers etc... all found out her foolish mistake, plus it cost her dearly for the hospital visit. Maybe she should have told her story to a newspaper and gotten a free flight from it.

I couldn't imagine not taking my carry-on bag with our meds in it with us when boarding. If I didn't want to carry them on, they wouldn't be in my carry-on. I'd have packed them in the suitcase! I do feel sorry for these people, but it is their own fault.

Also, as posted previously, we haven't been able to take our carry-ons to our cabin before the time everyone could go to the cabins. The hallway doors are closed and in some cases, people are posted by the doors to keep cruisers out until the specified time. It's been that way on Royal Caribbean for a while now, so I am surprised the poster who said he/she dropped off the bags was able to do so.

[quote name='CruisingCatherine']Didn't know this. Learn something new everyday.:D[/quote]

Port employees are employed by the port. They are NOT employees of ANY cruise line in ANY port. Only the on board porters who deliver your luggage to your cabin and pick it up at the end of the cruise are RCL employees.

A year or so ago Crown Princess passengers saw a whole luggage bin (or whatever it is called) fall into the water at Red Hook, Brooklyn while being loaded onto the ship. The luggage was retrieved but clothing had to be dried cleaned by the cruise line before it was return to the affected passengers. Not sure about any further compensation that might have been give to the passengers whose luggage was dumped into the water while being loaded onto the ship.

Accidents happen. If the contents of your carry one luggage are that essential and contain your medication, you'd be advised to think before you release control of it to anyone, anywhere before you personally drop it off in your cabin. At least take out the medication before giving your handluggage to anyone outside your immediate family. Put it in your cabin, your cabin's refrigerator, whatever. It only takes a few seconds to assure that it will be with you on the cruise.

MARAPRINCE

Archived