Need airlines suggestions for Legend Transatlantic

bldsld

Hi Norm,

Thanks for the info. It doesn't appear that the seats recline much at all. The price difference is, of course, substantial. For the one-way LIS-SFO, connecting at Heathrow, World Traveller Plus is about $800 p/p, while business is just under $2500 p/p. We have never flown coach for such a long flying time, so we're tempted just to go for it and bite the bullet. We have no BA miles, so I can't do an upgradeable fare.

My cousins have moved from London to Chelmsford, so I was wondering how far it would be to visit them for a night, but it sounds like a bit of a shlep for them to come to the airport to get us for just one night.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the Delta configuration is in business/first? Do the seats turn into sleeper seats?

Thanks again, Norm, and everyone else who has weighed in on this topic.

Denyse

Hi,

We are booked from Lisbon to Paris (Air France), Paris to NY (Delta upgraded business first, no the seats aren't true sleeper) NY to Tampa (Song). Cost was about $1500 pp plus 15,000 Delta FF miles each..

Hope this helps!

CruiserDan

Oh you lucky Legend sailors! We are soooo jealous! Truly the Pestana Palace in Lisbon is very special and it is right next to super "trolly" transport all around the city. Eric will be so much fun as he was with us in December on Pride. Bon Voyage to all! Champagne wishes, caviar dreams, and endless Seabourn cruises for all of us!

I recently traveled on BA from PHL>LHR>Dubai and back. There was a 5 hour LHR break, but I advise that at least, the World Club Plus looked more comfy than my WC seat in the back. Had I but known about the fare/seat configurations!

Jane (did survive, however<G>)

I broke down and booked LIS to JFK in business class on BA, as it just sounded too good to pass up! We also managed to buy 2 first class seats on the return on Delta from JFK-SFO at a surprisingly good fare. The outbound from SFO is a decent (not great) rate, also first class from SFO-JFK, and then to STT a few days later. All this and no miles used to upgrade. Amazing, actually, but the upgradeable coach fares were only negligibly less expensive than the special First Class fares.

However, anyone who says the transatlantic crossing is a cheaper sailing must be swimming to the ship and back!!! ;-)

Denyse

Matt,

I'm connecting at Heathrow. It's LIS-LHR, LHR-JFK, JFK-SFO. It's going to be a looooooooooooong day!

BTW, I've booked 2 nights at the Sofitel in Lisbon. Friends from NY (whom you will meet on the cruise) have stayed there several times, and said it was quite nice, and well located as compared to some of the other hotels I was considering.

Denyse

Oh you lucky Legend sailors! We are soooo jealous! Truly the Pestana Palace in Lisbon is very special and it is right next to super "trolly" transport all around the city. Eric will be so much fun as he was with us in December on Pride. Bon Voyage to all! Champagne wishes, caviar dreams, and endless Seabourn cruises for all of us!

Donna, I understand the cruise is not sold out, so there is still plenty of room if you would like to join us! Of course, Daneite can't promise to leave us any champagne from the previous leg of the cruise....;-)

Denyse

I will definately make sure Eric is on his toes! Most of the winning team "The comeback cruisers" will be on board again! Should make for a very interesting cruise!

Looking forward to meeting you, CruisinMatt!

CruiserDan

Hmmmmm, maybe I should get a group of "Seabourn Novices" together as a team..... ;);) How many teams are allowed in this trivia? Is it a daily event?

Matt,

The more the merrier. There is plenty of room for all that want to play.

Have fun.

mcboo:)

Denyse, sounds like you might be on my flight out of Lisbon on Saturday. I was looking at the Sofitel as well but I still have to sit down with my map of Lisbon and get it all stright in my mind.

Matt, are you on the 8:20 flight to Heathrow on the 9th?

Matt,

We're just going to grab a cab or van when we get to the airport. I believe that is, in fact, your best bet. STT isn't a particularly difficult location to get from the airport to the ship, so transfers aren't really necessary, IMHO.

Did you book the Sofitel? I see from several of our seasoned posters that the Pestana Palace is an excellent hotel, for a more luxe experience. Frankly, after 11 glorious days on Seabourn, regardless of how beautiful the hotel is, you will feel like you are slumming it when the first bar tab is put in front of you to sign!!! ;-)

Denyse

Dear bldsld--thank you for your official invitation to the crossing! Trust me, at that price we would be there if it fit our schedule. Unfortunately, I just got my new and "improved" (not) schedule for Nov. and we will, also, be unable to keep our preliminary res for that crossing--it sails one week too soon! ARGGHHH!!!! Wish I could retire right now! Truly, nothing can compare to being on Seabourn but the Pestana Palace is very nice. CruiserDan, check out availability of rooms as some are nicer than others there. Bon Voyage wishes to all of you extremely lucky Seabourn sailors!

Cruisecrazyone,

Would you recommend changing our res from Sofitel to the Pestana Palace? We were just planning to tour and sleep, but re-entry into the real world is always so difficult post-Seabourn cruise, would it make the real world a bit less painful?

Thanks,

Denyse

You will truly enjoy dining at Pestana Palace. It is an old palace on gorgeous grounds with several dining venues including a wonderful Asian gazebo. The spa is outstanding. The suites come in several varieties as they all have been added on to the palace itself. We really enjoyed our limited (4 nights) there but it was over a year ago so we cannot really vouch for it in comparison to other properties reviewed by more recent experiences. At any rate you will have a fabulous Seabourn crossing experience and that is all that really matters! Champagne wishes, caviar dreams, and endless Seabourn cruises for all of us!

The Radisson near the airport is very nice and public transportation is easily accessible from it. You can book a jr. suite at a very good rate at their website.

If you prefer intown, the Avenida Palace is a great "classic" hotel. The location near the train station is great, but the can be noisy if you like open windows. Some of the junior suites are larger than most suites and have two large bathrooms. This one must be booked early as it is often sold out.

With respect to BA, do be aware that they are very rigid about carry-ons, even in Club World. They made hubby check his rollerboard, although it is easily within acceptable standards and never questioned by any other airline. They hassled me about carrying my CPAP machine along with a roller board. When I explained that it was necessary medical equipment that could not be checked, the gate agent told me I should just stay home. Needless to say, I scratched BA off my list.

Archived