"Naughty room" for 2 airplane bottles of rum!

sprockie

Wow!

You seem to have a low opinion of your fellow cruisers. Must be great being you.:rolleyes:

It is.;)

I don't mind my fellow cruisers unless they are the type that think that their personal enjoyment outweighs any consideration for the cruise line or other pax.

I do have a low opinion of people who tend to justify lying and cheating in order to get what they want. I think that pax that are chair hogs or allow their untrained kids into a pool are selfish and self centered. And I imagine they could justify their actions just like those that smuggle booze do.:)

RCI has a policy. They can choose to enforce that policy any way they wish. Sorta like Customs agents who choose certain bags to check. There are regulations for re entering the US. Not every person is checked.

Same on RCI..they can choose which bags to check and when. That doesn't mean they don't take their non alcohol policy seriously. Using that "theory" to justify smuggling booze is childish.

I thank the OP for telling us this story. As a cruiser I think this stuff is interesting information. I'm sorry she is getting such a hard time over offering fellow cruisers some information they may find useful.

Grandma should have just stuck the plastic bottles in her pockets (assuming she had something with pockets). They're plastic- no way to detect. My 16oz. rum runners are going into my pockets. HAAHAHAHAHAHA

Great idea. Have you done this before? I have never seen a pat down going on board. Maybe you could hide one it a hat or in a sock or...the list could be endless:D

I've seen the naughty table. Believe me, they catch a lot more than just alcohol. The table had irons, knives, and even a sword. Yes, a sword.

When I want to bring MY swords onboard I put them in a "swordrunner". My wife likes to swordfight on the balcony before dinner. It's not taking any money from RCCL as they do not provide the types of swords we enjoy fighting with.

Whether or not you realize it, you said almost the same thing I did.

Hey, didn't I just apologize to you in another thread?

Anyway, one of us is not making much sense. The absurd scenario I described was an extreme interpolation of your speeding example, and it was in response to your words...

"The uniformity in enforcing is not a good argument."

I'm saying that is my ONLY argument...

Until RCCL consistently enforces this rule, I don't know why I should be expected to take it seriously. They obviously don't.

I don't think that's anywhere near being the same thing you said. Or maybe my reading comprehension is failing me.

Smuggling and chair hog threads are always fun!

On Liberty last year the woman was complaining they kept her suitcase in the naughty room took her iron and left her bottle of wine

The no booze carrying on board for control saftey issues is bull, we all know it is about the $$$$$

They could still make money by selling alcohol bottles in the shop and letting you have it in the room and selling the mixers.

I refuse to pay inflated prices of alcoholic drinks, if they lowered to reasonable prices, I feel that others would tend to buy more also.

I know Celebrity is doing the alcohol drink package, I feel Royal is soon to follow, but the price is still high

Work with us here cruise people.

Hey, didn't I just apologize to you in another thread?

Yes, you did. And in all fairness, I'll apologize to you if I came across argumentative. I love good discussions as long as they don't get too out of hand. ;)

I guess what I was trying to say originally was that despite the written regulation from RCI HQ, it's going to be enforced differently....probably from many factors. Of course it's not always fair. It just is what it is.

When I want to bring MY swords onboard I put them in a "swordrunner". My wife likes to swordfight on the balcony before dinner. It's not taking any money from RCCL as they do not provide the types of swords we enjoy fighting with.

I know what you mean, it's just too much trouble going to the fitness center to exercise, and a nice balcony sword fight is a good pre-dinner work out. :D

My mother, who is 76, just got off the Grandeur. She went to the naughty room to retrieve her bag over 2 miniature (ie. 2oz) bottles of rum. Now that's getting petty.

Do not make to make light but I think this is hysterical. Grandma gets caught smuggling. If my Mother had got busted for doing that we would have never let her live it down! We would be laughing about it at family gatherings for years! :D

Yes, swordfighting is a great way to work up an appetite... But I think the fellow probably just found the steaks in the MDR too tough and decided to bring his own knife to dinner. :D

Hmmmm... My guess it was a souvenir someone picked at a port.

i would have opened both minis in the naughty room and chugged them, then handed them the empties and burped.

(I just started reading this one, so I apologize in advance if this post has been commented on a bunch but.....)

That's exactly what I was thinking.

The table had irons, knives, and even a sword. Yes, a sword.

I must apologize for that one, I heard they had a samurai night on board. Wanted to be ready...

or

I must apologize for that one, I wanted to show off my skill at opening smuggled bottles of champagne......

or

I must apologize for that one, I thought I would take care of those smuggling booze....

or

I must apologize for that one, I thought it was pirate night and we'd be going after a Carnival ship.....

or

I must apologize for that one, DW and I were going to play pirate and the maiden. Oops, I guess that one belongs on the what to do on your balcony thread.....

or.....

I must apologize for that one, I heard they had a samurai night on board. Wanted to be ready...

or

I must apologize for that one, I thought it was pirate night and we'd be going after a Carnival ship.....

or

I must apologize for that one, DW and I were going to play pirate and the maiden. Oops, I guess that one belongs on the what to do on your balcony thread.....

or.....

That's probably why they don't have any RAMBO cruises. :D

On our trans-Atlantic cruise at one port (I think it was Cartagena), they were giving away miniature bottles of some local "licor" as people were getting off the ship to sightsee. When returning to the ship--yep, they were taking those up that people had put in their totes and purses that were going through the scanner.

For those that say "rules are rules" why is it o.k. for RCI to selectively enforce rules yet it isn't o.k. for others to selectively follow their rules. I am talking about rules RCI has posted regarding pool lounge saving, theater seating saving, evening dining dress rules? Seems to me, they can pick and choose what rules they want to enforce, why can't we pick and choose what rules we want to obey? The street runs both ways.

Tucker in Texas

Seems to me, they can pick and choose what rules they want to enforce, why can't we pick and choose what rules we want to obey? The street runs both ways.

Tucker in Texas

You can pick and choose what rules you want to obey but remember you signed a contract and they own the ship. You break the contract and they can leave you at the next port.

If they do that to me it will be our first and last cruise on Royal. Stupidity.

Well, rules are rules....and you know what they are....

Can't imagine why, if caught, you'd be mad at them. It's not as if you weren't advised.:cool:

Ya know I cant seem to find any sympathy for anyone caught smuggling booze or any other contraband... If you want to take the chance of smuggling you take the chance of getting caught don't get miffed at RCI for calling you out on it. (social commentary to follow).

It seems in general we as a society have decided that the only rules that apply to us are the one we want to follow... This change in societal behavior only leeds me to question what things will be like 10 year from now... Aside from that is the attitude of a lot of people when they get caught breaking the rules (why are you picking on me?) if you adult enough to break the rules be adult enough to take the consequences and stop complaining about it... (end of social commentary)

Have a nice day folks and happy cruising...:D

Ditto!!!!:p

I was referring to having my sunscreen checked for alcohol... way over top top in my opinion and indicative of deeper running attitude problems.

Now I wasn't planning on smuggling any contraband... but I will let others do the flaming.

Ah, but you see....... believe it or not...some of these jerks actually use emptied Listerine and other mouthwash bottles, shampoo bottles, lotion bottles and other toiletry bottles and fill them with booze to smuggle aboard.

It's not you...it's not the cruise line....it's those who feel lthey are beyond the rules and can do what they wish.

OMG, that is hilarious!!

Well' date=' rules are rules....and you know what they are....

Can't imagine why, if caught, you'd be mad at them. It's not as if you weren't advised.:cool:[/quote']

My, a little judgmental, aren't we! I would be mad if they held my luggage to check out my sunscreen, or something the size of the airplane bottles the OP mentioned. I didn't say I was an evil smuggler.

Maybe you should be asking RCCL that question, instead.

Unless they enforce it consistently, which they have never done, I guess we'll never "understand." Are WE to take the rules seriously when the cruise line does not?

When I smuggle a box of wine on board, it does not equate to an equal amount of unsold RCCL wine. It just means my wife can enjoy a glass of wine on the balcony without venturing out to find it in one of the bars. Without her box of wine, she'd just have none until dinner. Because of this, my "smuggling" causes RCCL no damages and I certainly don't feel any guilt over it, and I'll continue to do it until I'm stopped.

Well, cops don't catch all the speeders either....that doesn't give you free rein to speed, does it?

Yes, we are all to take the rules seriously.

"If you have integrity nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity nothing else matters."

Just because everyone isn't caught smuggling doesn't mean you have permission to do so.

Archived