"Naughty room" for 2 airplane bottles of rum!

sprockie

Actually, if you look at it this way - they call you down to the room and make you open the suitcase and take the alcohol out - It could be worse - they could rummage through your bags, take it out, send the bags to your room, and keep it. you could be served your alcohol sometime during the week. or the crew could have one nice party. what would you do - go to the desk and say that someone stole the alcohol you were smuggling - i don't think so!!!

I would instead say that the expensive panties that I hid the alcohol in is missing! Imported Brazilian thong or something made of whatever precious textiles sounds believable ...

"I don't care about the booze, I just want my panties back!" I'm sure that's not what anyone wants a lady screaming at the service desk.

Maybe you should be asking RCCL that question, instead.

Unless they enforce it consistently, which they have never done, I guess we'll never "understand." Are WE to take the rules seriously when the cruise line does not?

When I smuggle a box of wine on board, it does not equate to an equal amount of unsold RCCL wine. It just means my wife can enjoy a glass of wine on the balcony without venturing out to find it in one of the bars. Without her box of wine, she'd just have none until dinner. Because of this, my "smuggling" causes RCCL no damages and I certainly don't feel any guilt over it, and I'll continue to do it until I'm stopped.

I agree with this post, except the very end - I'll continue to do it even after I'm caught.

I think you are twisting his words. Do you really not understand the point that he was making? Think of it this way - most people who drink and drive do not get caught. Does this mean that someone who is busted for drinking and driving should (instead of taking responsiblity) be upset at the police officer or at the law, because the other 25 times they drank and drive they got away with it?

Royal cannot catch everyone, every time they smuggle. When someone is busted, they should acknowledge they broke the rules rather than try to justify their behavior (i.e. because of their age, the amount of liquor, how many times they have done it before and got away with it etc.) and/or blame the cruise line.

I would like to believe that smugglers, when caught, are of the "Yeah, well, tried, got caught, oh well" ilk vs the outraged wronged party.

Seems most smugglers know it's against the rules. I am certainly not someone that would give security a hard time. "Yep, that's my booze, alright. Will I see her again on the last night?"

On the Impact to my Real Life gauge, doesn't even register.

Well' date=' cops don't catch all the speeders either....that doesn't give you free rein to speed, does it?

Yes, we are all to take the rules seriously.

"If you have integrity nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity nothing else matters."

Just because everyone isn't caught smuggling doesn't mean you have permission to do so.[/quote']

I do not find integrity to be an absolute to be wrecked or restored based on one action/inaction.

If someone that I hold in high regard drives 5 miles over the speed limit, I do not find that person to suddenly have no integrity.

You are free to make your own life rules but I simply don't see it your way.

If my smuggling liquor causes you to decide that I have no integrity, that's on you. It does not in any way mean that to me and I can assure you that there has not been a corresponding drop in self-esteem.

When I want to bring MY swords onboard I put them in a "swordrunner". My wife likes to swordfight on the balcony before dinner. It's not taking any money from RCCL as they do not provide the types of swords we enjoy fighting with.

On what ship are you the entertainment? That was too funny.:D

smug·gle (smubreve.gifgprime.gifschwa.gifl)

v. smug·gled, smug·gling, smug·gles

v.tr. 1. To import or export without paying lawful customs charges or duties.

2. To bring in or take out illicitly or by stealth.

v.intr. To engage in smuggling.

How important is it to smuggle the booze in, when you can buy on board, yes the prices may be high - but you know that when you booked. What would happen if they searched the bags before boarding and you were then denied boarding.

then I would consider it a lesson learned, and, oh well.

But you are wrong about being able to buy a bottle for hte room. That is not available on RC.

When I want to bring MY swords onboard I put them in a "swordrunner". My wife likes to swordfight on the balcony before dinner. It's not taking any money from RCCL as they do not provide the types of swords we enjoy fighting with.

Okay, that was hilarious. And the pirate & maiden thing, you got your own "naughty room". Good job!

And' date=' like cocaine, is not to be brought aboard ship.....[/quote']

No, G'ma, way off:

it's not like cocaine, cocaine is illegal, booze is not & theoretically costing the ship $. I think it IS PETTY (about the 4oz) and the rule is not for safety or legal reasons, it's for them to make more money. Other lines let you and they do just fine.

As far as the RULES are concerned- there are plenty of rules to be broken in the world. I am not self righteous, and think rules dont apply to me. I am also not a sucker who is going to be intimidated by the possibility of getting caught (if so, oh well) I examine the intent of the rule: in this case, it is in the cruiseline's best interest to deter over consumption of alcohol by limiting the quantity available to a single person. So, not allowing bottles on board or selling bottles of liquor onboard has the significant possibility of reducing accidents caused by very wasted people. I havent seen anyone get "cut off" buying drinks, so I may be way out in left field here...

The financial implications seem obvious, but I am curious about this because they allow me to bring other items sold onboard. (would they take my water or soda?)

Half the liquor we brought onboard came home with us because we had too much fun staying at the bars or ordering poolside. However, I dont see why its wrong for the purposes of saving cash? Its still "breaking the rules" so the reason to do so is ok if for convenience but not for saving money? Whatever... So what if I researched and knew- it was on these boards that I had read how high a bar bill can get- so I brought a little of my own to save some cash. It wasnt a very good plan anyway as my bar bill reflected.

Well' date=' cops don't catch all the speeders either....that doesn't give you free rein to speed, does it?

Yes, we are all to take the rules seriously.

"If you have integrity nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity nothing else matters."

Just because everyone isn't caught smuggling doesn't mean you have permission to do so.[/quote']

We've already been over the speeding comparison, and I claim victory with that one :-)

So let's move on:

I've only cruised three times previously, and will roll over on most topics to those of you who have cruised dozens of times, but hear me out on this...

On all three of our previous cruises (all with RCCL), we've taken a box of wine and some soda. All three times, the stateroom attendant has noticed our contraband, openly displayed on the countertop. And all three times, the attendant blew a loud whistle and security came and confiscated our loot and scolded us... no wait, that's not right...In reality, the only response has been the attendant making a special effort to keep ice and glasses available to us in our room so we can enjoy our beverages.

If RCCL were serious about this rule, don't you think the stateroom attendants would at least be on board with it?

What's funny about this is that I'm basically a boy scout. I'm no criminal. I DO obey rules. THIS, however, is not a rule. It's more like a suggestion. And a silly one at that. If that leads you to question my "integrity" I guess I can live with that.

My RCCL booze complaint is I found they now charge a $15 corkage fee per bottle to drink the wine bought from their packages, in the dining room.

WHAT?!! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!? NO WAY!

We are social drinkers and most of the time do not bust on a cruise vacation we would always have a bottle of wine with dinner and we were generous to our table-mates. I could see it when people were allowed to bring wine from home. If someone wanted to drink that much (a wine pkg) in their stateroom they probably would not be drinking wine.

Either way RCCL shot themselves in the foot with this ridiculous fee they just saved me a small bundle (pkg + fees). Should I feel the need to be "social" there is always in port. :p

As far as the RULES are concerned- there are plenty of rules to be broken in the world. I am not self righteous, and think rules dont apply to me. I am also not a sucker who is going to be intimidated by============est interest to deter over consumption of alcohol by limiting the quantity available to a single person. So, not allowing bottles on board or selling bottles of liquor onboard has the significant possibility of reducing accidents caused by ver

Seriously, it's nothing to do with overdrinking bec you can do that with their booze. You can bring a bottle of wine back to your room. And I have seen drunk people in the bars, ...so really it's about making money for the ship.

My RCCL booze complaint is I found they now charge a $15 corkage fee per bottle to drink the wine bought from their packages, in the dining room.

We are social drinkers and most of the time do not bust on a cruise vacation we would always have a bottle of wine with dinner and we were generous to our table-mates. I could see it when people were allowed to bring wine from home. If someone wanted to drink that much (a wine pkg) in their stateroom they probably would not be drinking wine.

Either way RCCL shot themselves in the foot with this ridiculous fee they just saved me a small bundle (pkg + fees). Should I feel the need to be "social" there is always in port. :p

Bummer. On our EOS 2009 Cruise we weren't charged a corkage fee.

====n port. :p

WHAT?! Are you serious?!? You have got to be wrong. Or do you mean the bottle you want to bring to your cabin that isn't opened yet? In that case, drink a little and take it back to your cabin.

Seriously' date=' it's nothing to do with overdrinking bec you can do that with their booze. You can bring a bottle of wine back to your room. And I have seen drunk people in the bars, ...so really it's about making money for the ship. [/size']

This is the irony!

My assumption is that after several stories of people falling overboard, the cruiselines had to tighten up their rules due to insurance liability. A couple of bad lawsuits, and the insurance companies may have been the driving force behind this...

Youre probably right- it is more than likely about the liquor sales.

We were on the Grandeur in December and had the Gold Wine package. We were never charged a corkage fee for the bottles of wine in the DR. We leave on the Majesty the end of January and I intend to buy the same wine package....that is, if they do not charge a $15 per bottle corkage fee! :eek:

Archived