This is a story about insurance that shocked me

suse

Thanks for that info. I suppose there is a certain panic that arises when bad stuff is happening.

Yes, as when you find your DH unconcious on the floor in the middle of the night... and in your panic you dial 711 !!!

Incidentally, 711 will politely request that you hang up and dial 911 instead. :o

As a medical professional, I can assure you a broken leg is usually not a life threatening medical emergency, unless one has some additional underlying health problems. Setting a broken bone properly should be able to be achieved in even a third world country. It is so important to be aware of what one is purchasing in travel insurance, and the limits of coverage. Even if one has purchased evacuation coverage, it is still up to the local physician, after consult with your insurance company, to determine if that is necessary . I do not think patients can just decide on their own they want to be evacuated for whatever reason, even if they have the coverage.

To be clear, that same issue happens inside the US, where people will want to be transported to a hospital that they prefer versus one closest to them. If it's determined that the local hospital is able to provide the care, the transfer wouldn't be covered, and even in the case that it is, it often is still only to the closest hospital that can cover.

I do suggest that people with health and/or travel insurance find out what type of emergency coverage that they have when travelling internationally. In many cases, there's something already in place for an emergency, but it may require paying up front and getting reimbursed, and in instances like that, be sure that you understand what you are covered for (if at all possible), and what you need to be reimbursed. In some cases, there's not even a need to get travel insurance, at least for that purpose.

Each of these companies will have multiple policies.

Sorry, but there 's no shortcut. If you want to feel confident, you have to read, research and compare all by yourself. A lot of work.

Not a lot of work for anyone who can read. But that wasn't what I meant. My question probably should have been whether anyone has had familiarity with all of the foregoing providers, not the individual policies. Some time ago on one of the thread, a writer was praising USAA. Since some of the people on this thread are familiar with TravelGuard and MedJet and have been satisfied with those companies, has anyone had any experience with USAA?

The policy we take usually provides up to 1,000,000 in Med Evac coverage.

We booked our 2010 cruise on board in 2009 and took the best insurance offered, which wasn't $1M Med Evac. Where do you get that amount of insurance? :confused:

So, what you (and the policy) are saying is that contact must be made with the insurance provider BEFORE a med-vac service is called in? What if you are a single person cruising, hit your head and are unconscious, coma, etc. What happens then? No one knows you have the insurance.

Another scenario...my husband has an accident on shore that causes him to lose a limb, and needs to be flown out immediately! :eek: The insurance papers are back on the ship, but I must stay with DH until he is airlifted. How am I suppose to call the insurance company to make sure it's alright?

I always thought the cruiseline or another party decides who needs to be flown out and then you take care of the insurance later. Does the insurance company need to be contacted beforehand for little things such as visiting the doctor onboard?

Not a lot of work for anyone who can read. But that wasn't what I meant. My question probably should have been whether anyone has had familiarity with all of the foregoing providers, not the individual policies. Some time ago on one of the thread, a writer was praising USAA. Since some of the people on this thread are familiar with TravelGuard and MedJet and have been satisfied with those companies, has anyone had any experience with USAA?

We use a CSA policy that can be paid at final payment and covers pre-existing conditions.

After reading all the posts on this thread I called my TA today and got the information on our medical ins. when traveling. $100,000. medical expenses and $l,000.000. medical evacuation if needed. I was surprised but also happy with the coverage. He will be sending me all of this in writing so I can have it on our cruise.

I always carry the "insurers" 24 hr medical emergency phone number in my wallet!!!!

I was lucky on my last cruise, I fell getting off the shuttle bus in Sydney Australia. Fractured my left tibia (top of knee). By the time we got to the hospital I was in so much pain that I forgot to give them the #. Was lucky as it was only $105.00 for the visit and I left with a brace and crutches. We had to purchase a wheelchair and another hospital visit. So with xrays, CT scan, hospital and wheelchair I submitted a bill of $ 856.00 to Mastercard insurance. They paid it but did warn me to keep the number handy as they usually alway want to know so they can pre-authorize any charges.

Won't leave without that # ever again.

We booked our 2010 cruise on board in 2009 and took the best insurance offered, which wasn't $1M Med Evac. Where do you get that amount of insurance? :confused:

I'm not 100% sure, but I have a tough time coming up with a Med Evac service that would cost $1M. I'm thinking that you could almost purchase the helicopter you're put on for that price.

Most medical evacuations will get you to the closest hospital. Not to the hospital of your choice.

I also purchase medjet assist as that will fly you home (assuming your doctor will admit you back home). I buy this in addition to travel insurance!

Insurance was widely discussed on this board several years ago..I downloaded a post by Windycity on Aug 11, 2007..

I am the one who works for a medevac company. It is not unusual to have the air medevac taking a patient back to the US to run 50-70,000, from the Caribbean to Miami. Then, as copper said, you have to consider the other costs, which the travel insurance policy will cover, so getting a policy that covers 1,000,000 for medical, including medevac is a good idea. If your private insurance does not cover medevac from a foreign country, then it is an out of pocket expense for you. 90% of the time, the medevac is an emergency one, and family is under stress - if you are, like most of us, unable to come up with 50-70,000 out of your pocket at a moments notice, it is good to consider getting the extra medevac coverage and READ the FINE PRINT on the policy. Unquote

I would imagine that costs have risen quite a bit since 2007..So $1,000,000 seems to be the best coverage..Unfortunately I can't find the URL to that thread..

As another poster mentioned most Med Evac Insurance policy's only evacuate you to the nearest Hospital..If the Dr's in that Hospital can't treat you properly only he/she can request evacuation to the United States..

With MedJet Assist you can be evacuated to any Hospital of your choice, but you still need basic Travel Medical Insurance coverage other than Evacuation coverage..

Check out Frommers guide on Travel insurance..This is an on-line Community Forum discussion about Travel Insurance coverage..

http://www.frommers.com/community/forum.cfm/tips-tools-deals/health-safety-travel-insurance/travel-insurance-much-medical-coverage-enough

Betty[

P.S. I found the URL for the 2007 discussion: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=608216&highlight=windycity/SIZE]

I also use CSA. I used to get the CSA Luxe, but not sure if it is still offered under that name. http://www.csatravelprotection.com/

On a policy that I got for Europe, it included transportation back to the U.S., with a doctor onboard and included all medical cost while on ground and in the air. That's what people forget about. The med-vac cost is not just for the transportation, it also covers the medical equipment and aid on those flights.

Thanks for starting this thread suse. It has motivated a lot of us to actually read our policies. As stated already, the policies are a little confusing, actually very confusing, but we need to know what they cover. As I read through mine I found, under “General Exclusions” this statement: “air travel on any air-supported device, other than a regular scheduled airline or air charter company.” Since we may schedule a helicopter or floatplane excursion in Juneau I wondered if the quoted exclusion above eliminates this coverage. I called my TA and she called the insurance company. They said that it would be covered if the excursion was one offered by the ship.

on as many trips..as I take..up to 70 days coverage per illness. Re-pat, and life flight..$199.00 a year, thru Insuremytrip...HTH Worldwide it is the Travel Gap MultiTrip policy. you must have a primary carrier, and this one is connected with the American Express Co, in some way 1-8882432358. It is up for renewal..never had to use it..but last years 8 cruises, and 3 wks in Spain(63 days)total..was worth$3.20 a day whilst on vaca.Cheeper than a Starbucks

Archived