Snokle Equipment

heyabbott

If you don't know whether you'll like snorkeling, I'd suggest just using the excursion company's the first time. No need to bring along extra stuff if you're not going to use it a lot. You can buy some alcohol wipes to wipe off the mouth piece if you're concerned about it not being sanitary. We never received bad equipment on excursions. The companies usually have plenty to choose from if one doesn't look good.

I've always brought my own equipment including my flippers. If you plan to do much travel over time after this trip you'll more than get your money's worth.

I bring my own equipment because of the sanitary issues, the lack of quality equipment provided and they have never had masks that fit. I have a slender face and their masks always seem to leak. I bought a mask intended for scuba diving and have never had a problem since. Another reason for bringing your own would be so you can go off on your own. You wouldn't need to be part of a snorkeling excursion this way. You could head to a beach or wherever and just enjoy yourself at your own pace and not on someone else's time frame and not with hundreds of other people!

Definitely bring your own!

Bring your own, we have a set that we purchased from LLBean and it is a complete set in a backpack that also holds other things. We just throw everythign in there and get to a beach and spend the day snorkeling. It was the best money we have ever spent. Not to mention much cleaner.

• 2 weeks later...

Hubby and I bought WONDERFUL sets all Wal-mart @ $20/set. They are fabulous and even though we only take 1 vacation a year that would include any kind of water sport, I love that only I will use it! Packs easily in suitcase as well.

Archived