New Port Shuttles Benefit

GACRUISER456

As part of the new offerings, Azamara mentioned providing complimentary port shuttles. I read this to mean the quick jaunts out of the ports which can be huge in Europe and maybe into the town you docked in (ie Civitavecchia, not Rome). Well, on the British Isle cruise this Aug, we are docking in Ijmuiden out by the North Sea instead of the passenger terminal in downtown Amsterdam (about 30 min drive away). I found out the reason is that day is the start of Sail Amsterdam, so the river will be active with tall ships, etc.

So, do you think this new "complimentary port shuttle" will include the drive in to Amsterdam? There seems to be very few other alternatives from this remote port.

Thanks!

We are on the cruise with you and I have my doubts about a complimentary shuttle. The shore excursions note that for 49 dollars they will bus you to Amsterdam from Ijmuiden and back to the ship (it says they give you 8 hours on your own). Of course, some of the other shore excursions make no sense right now because they say they start at 8 a.m or 9 a.m. and our itinerary says we don't dock until 10 a.m.

Alice

Alice,

I just checked AzamaraClubCruises.com and it still shows us in Amsterdam at 7am. The next port, Waterford is at 10AM. Yeah, now that I see they are offering an "On Your Own" excursion, I guess there won't be a complimentary shuttle. The problem is, if the excursion begins at 8am or so, that means they will be picking us up at 4 in the afternoon. That is way too early since we will be docked until 9pm. I was hoping to enjoy some of the early evening there before heading back.

We can chat over on the roll call, but I am thinking if others are in the same dilema, maybe it would be worth finding a private company that could provide a meet-n-greet at the ship and drop us off in Amsterdam. We could then all do our own thing and then meet up again at 7 or 7:30 at a designated spot for the ride back. If we found 6 or more people, I'm sure it would cost less than Azamara's "On your own".

Tina

Tina, thanks for info regarding time docking. My original itinerary had it at 10 a.m. Glad to hear it is earlier. We are not sure of whether to spend the whole day/evening in Amsterdam. For one thing, I cannot walk the town all day. I would like to get a shuttle and do my own thing but then go back whenever I am tired. However, I would entertain the idea of sharing a cab or van with fellow travellers if someone comes up with some choices and prices. I am sure I could rest quite a bit at a local restaurant when I get tired and hungry.

Alice

You might try doing a search for Ijmuiden - there is some information there about the port and transportation options. There does not seem to be an "easy" transit from that port into Amsterdam - some bus / train options but none of them particularly convenient IMO. You can pre-book a taxi so maybe the best option would be to join up with another couple and see if that works better than what the ship offers.

Archived