Southampton Arrival - Connection

SEFlyer

I am looking at a transatlantic crossing on the QM2 in October which is scheduled to arrive in Southampton at 6.30 a.m. I would like to try and catch an 8.45 a.m. domestic flight from Southampton Airport on flybe. Is that feasible? We can do the self-disembark with no problem and I could arrange for a taxi in advance.

Having only ever departed from Southampton, never arrived, I'd appreciate advice from those with experience.

I am looking at a transatlantic crossing on the QM2 in October which is scheduled to arrive in Southampton at 6.30 a.m. I would like to try and catch an 8.45 a.m. domestic flight from Southampton Airport on flybe. Is that feasible? We can do the self-disembark with no problem and I could arrange for a taxi in advance.

Having only ever departed from Southampton, never arrived, I'd appreciate advice from those with experience.

You'd be pushing it. Self disembarkation will not start immediately, you have to get to the airport and then deal with all the security nonsense.

Flymaybe isn't the best airline in the world either, from what I hear. Where are you going to? Would a train be a better option?

We're going to Glasgow for 24 hours so the train is not an option. The next flight at a reasonable price is very late in the day.

When our family departed Southampton by QM2 in 2008 we had members arrive from 3 different locations, all on flybe, with no problems. I think one was about an hour late. A slightly late flight in this instance would be OK.

I've never departed Southampton Airport, only arrived. It seemed relatively small and uncongested.

Have you had personal experience at Southampton?

We took QE2 NY to Southampton in April 2008. On arrival, we had heavy rain and what they announced were high winds which presented difficulties in getting the gangways connected safely to the terminal. I do not know if that was the true problem, but we had a very, very long wait in the Queens Lounge as the crew, now in jeans and sweatshirts, cleaned around us and prepared for the upcoming drydock! We were not in one of the high priority disembarkation groups. Once we were finally headed to shore there was again a scramble to pick up luggage and a long, long line for taxis. We were just heading to pick up a rental car and so had no deadline to meet, for which we were very thankful.

If I had such an early flight scheduled, I think it would worry me all across the Atlantic wondering if we could make the flight.

I strongly recommend against such a schedule.

When you say 08:45 flight, I presume that check in closes at 08:15 or even 08:00. The taxi journey would be about 30 minutes. From my memory of QE2 the earliest time off the ship is 08:00. So I too would be worried about making the flight.

We're going to Glasgow for 24 hours so the train is not an option. The next flight at a reasonable price is very late in the day.

When our family departed Southampton by QM2 in 2008 we had members arrive from 3 different locations, all on flybe, with no problems. I think one was about an hour late. A slightly late flight in this instance would be OK.

I've never departed Southampton Airport, only arrived. It seemed relatively small and uncongested.

Have you had personal experience at Southampton?

My boyfriend & I have used FlyBe to & from Southampton quite lot in the last couple of years.

They can run late - though the later in the day ones are worse as earlier delays have a knock on effect - but we have never been stranded - i.e. a flight has always happened.

However, even if there is a delay I believe you have to check in on time & will be denied if late. We've not even known of delays until after check-in.

Flybe say (see http://www.flybe.com, http://www.flybe.com/flightInfo/checkin.htm )

Check in times

Please make sure that you arrive at the departure gate in plenty of time to board your flight. Depending on the layout and operation of each airport, the boarding gate may close up to 30 minutes before the scheduled time of departure. Don't forget to allow time for airport security checks, and for what, in larger airports, may be a long walk to the gate. If you miss your flight we will be unable to refund your ticket or transfer you to another flight.

You can check in online from 36 hours and up to 1 hour before your flight departs. Flybe's self service kiosks, check in desks and fast bag drops close as per below.

Domestic flights:

* Carrying hold baggage

30 minutes before your scheduled time of departure (60 minutes for departures from Campbeltown)

* Hand baggage only

20 minutes before your scheduled time of departure (30 minutes for all flights operated by Loganair)

Southampton is a compact airport, and GENERALLY quiet. Getting checked in & through security has never been an issue FOR US. Flybe have self service check-in kiosks at Southampton & you only have to visit a check-in desk if you have luggage to check in (fast bag drop)

I too have expeerienced delays is disembarking - our last QV trip we were delayed about 20-30 mins(?) while they reset the gangway - from posts on this board this sounds like a recurring problem - We have also been stopped by customs our last two times through (though luckily it was simply questions rather baggage search - not that we had anything either time, but who want people to go through their dirty laundry:eek:)

I personally would not be happy with an 8:45 departure - but I'm one of those that wants to go to the gate as soon as it is displayed on the departure boards :).

Can't help with the airport but on January 11th on the QM2, disembarkation for self-help was scheduled on commence at 7.00am. I'm not sure whether it did but it was a 7 day crossing and we docked nearer to 5am than 6.30. The rest of the disembarkation seemed to be slightly ahead of schedule.

... We can do the self-disembark with no problem and I could arrange for a taxi in advance.

We always use the self-help disembarkation and have found no delay in getting a taxi. On our crossing last year, Cunard said in their arrivals information that there could be a long queue for taxis and for $10 the tour office would book one for you at a time of your choosing. We did so and, at least for the self-help disembarkation, it was a swindle. There was no-one at all from Cunard at the exit of the customs hall and none of the pier staff had ever heard of pre-booking a taxi from the ship. So we simply took one of the many taxis that were waiting for customers. Perhaps this taxi booking system actually works for the regular disembarkation. I know it's only $10, but two G&Ts would have been a better investment.

I personally would not be happy with an 8:45 departure - but I'm one of those that wants to go to the gate as soon as it is displayed on the departure boards :).

I too would be wary of an 08.45 departure....it would probably stress me out on the last few days of the crossing, and what's the point in that?

How much more expensive are relatively later flights?

Of course, if you book a later flight you'll be off the ship by 07.00.....but if you book the early one.......

Sounds like I should not risk an 8.45 flight out of Southampton.

I checked Expedia and the next best option seems to be 1.05 on bmi from Heathrow to Glasgow. If I pre-order my own limo from the dock to LHR do board members think I'll have enough time to make that flight?

To answer the question of how much. The 8.45 is £3 each which comes to about £100 for two with all the taxes, fees and baggage charges. There's an early afternoon flybe flight at £148 each or about £400 for two with all the extras. The latter belongs in fantasyland. Expedia is giving me Cdn$63 each on bmi with all charges included so its cheaper than flybe but the limo will be about £80.

I checked Expedia and the next best option seems to be 1.05 on bmi from Heathrow to Glasgow. If I pre-order my own limo from the dock to LHR do board members think I'll have enough time to make that flight?

To answer the question of how much. The 8.45 is £3 each which comes to about £100 for two with all the taxes, fees and baggage charges. There's an early afternoon flybe flight at £148 each or about £400 for two with all the extras. The latter belongs in fantasyland. Expedia is giving me Cdn$63 each on bmi with all charges included so its cheaper than flybe but the limo will be about £80.

You should be fine with the 1:05 p.m. flight. Check www.smithforairports.com for car service. Many of us on the site have used them and they are generally more affordable than some other car services and provide excellent service.

13:05 from Heathrow will be fine. In fact if you are looking to save money then consider just getting a taxi to Southampton Central station and catching the train to Woking and the RailAir Coach connection to Heathrow.

Another option is taking the train to Gatwick Airport (which has a direct train service from Southampton Central) and catching a flight from there.

A further option would be to take the train all the way to Glasgow. It is an hourly service, takes about 7 hours with only one change (normally in Birmingham).

A further option would be to take the train all the way to Glasgow. It is an hourly service, takes about 7 hours with only one change (normally in Birmingham).

Whilst I enjoy and prefer train travel versus air travel, I would caution against making a connection at Birmingham New Street with baggage. They have a habit there of making last minute platform alterations meaning a slog across the station, consequently with stairs or elevators to negotiate. Additionally the facilities for storing baggage on the Southampton to Birmingham service are poor (though less so on the Glasgow service) if the train is busy.

I have a fairly broad experience of the Flybe SOU to GLA flights and have never had a problem however I have heard some horror stories from trusted sources. In conclusion, to use one of the London airports to access Glasgow is the best advice I think if your time is precious, as there is more opportunity for alternatives if things don't go to plan.

I do not wish to get into an argument but the connection from Birmingham New Street starts from there, so they are unlikely to change platforms at the last minute. By the way the service from Birmingham has the same (Voyager) trains as from Southampton.

If you wish to fly then I would look at Gatwick because that would be the easiest since it has a direct train service (except on Sundays).

We've done the early flight to GLA with Fly(may)be a few times.

You will have no problem.

The taxi ride is about 20-25 mins and costs about £18.

Therefore, providing you're off before 0730 hrs you will have plenty of time.

Just watch the luggage allowances, and sizes as they are very strict.

Stewart

I do not wish to get into an argument but the connection from Birmingham New Street starts from there, so they are unlikely to change platforms at the last minute. By the way the service from Birmingham has the same (Voyager) trains as from Southampton.

If you wish to fly then I would look at Gatwick because that would be the easiest since it has a direct train service (except on Sundays).

Apologies I had not intended to appear argumentative, I fully respect your suggestion and knowledge of the service. I've had a couple of harrassing experiences at Birmingham New Street which left me less well disposed to the place, but I will concede that it would not stop me from using the station again if necessary. Perhaps those experiences have clouded my judgement somewhat.

Also you could use the Cunard coach transfer to Heathrow or Gatwick which I think was $80 USD in Oct 2008. (I was at Gatwick by about 11:00)

Just another thought, some people on our last cruise had an afternoon flight and if i remember correctly they booked a package at the de vere hotel for the the day, ( i think Cunard arranged it) i think it included lunch in the hotel and then a transfer to southampton airport, it would save the hassle of trains and changes at stations.

Archived