Landing at LAX and cruising from San Diego

galipemi

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping to take advantage of some of the extremely knowledgeable minds on this board.

I used points to fly from Toronto to California for my cruise out of San Diego. Unfortunately, there were no flights available to San Diego. As a result, I will be flying into LAX on March 26 arriving late evening. I have booked a room at the Crowne Plaza LAX and was planning on jumping a "puddle jumper" to San Diego in the morning. BUT, United just did a schedule change on my flights, and I'm not a very happy camper with the new options. It looks like Amtrak might be a possibility.

I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of where the nearest train station is (to LAX) and how easily accessible it is.

I'm pretty familiar with the port area in San Diego so I know it's an easy stroll down to the ship.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping to take advantage of some of the extremely knowledgeable minds on this board.

I used points to fly from Toronto to California for my cruise out of San Diego. Unfortunately, there were no flights available to San Diego. As a result, I will be flying into LAX on March 26 arriving late evening. I have booked a room at the Crowne Plaza LAX and was planning on jumping a "puddle jumper" to San Diego in the morning. BUT, United just did a schedule change on my flights, and I'm not a very happy camper with the new options. It looks like Amtrak might be a possibility.

I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of where the nearest train station is (to LAX) and how easily accessible it is.

I'm pretty familiar with the port area in San Diego so I know it's an easy stroll down to the ship.

Thanks in advance!

You will need to get to Union Station in downtown LA. Take the Fly Away bus from LAX to Union Station.

Also, check in to a one way car rental from LAX to the airport in San Diego. Take a cab from the San Diego airport to the port.

Jen in SoCal

If you rent a car on March 27, that will be a Saturday. Traffic will be fine and the drive will take about 2 hours. Flyaway + Amtrak will also work, but take probably 4-5 hours tpta; after the connection at LA Union Station. The Amtrak depot in SD is about 2 block from the ship; if you are mobile with your luggage it's a 10 minute leisurely walk.

You might want to consider renting a car and driving to San Diego the night you arrive in CA. You won't have to worry about traffic and you won't have to worry about missing your cruise as you'll be in San Diego the day of sailing.

Check the car rental agencies....you might find one that will offer a free shuttle to the harbour when you return the car in the morning.

If you rent a car on March 27, that will be a Saturday. Traffic will be fine and the drive will take about 2 hours. Flyaway + Amtrak will also work, but take probably 4-5 hours tpta; after the connection at LA Union Station. The Amtrak depot in SD is about 2 block from the ship; if you are mobile with your luggage it's a 10 minute leisurely walk.

The traffic on a Saturday can be heavy between Orange County and San Diego. Hope for two hours but plan for longer. If you leave in the AM you won't miss the cruise, just plan for traffic problems. This is one stretch of road in Southern California that is often pretty bad on a Saturday (most are pretty good).

Jen in SoCal

The nearest train station is Union Station in downtown LA.

Personally, I agree with others on this board that you should consider a one way rental to San Diego, simply because getting to Union Station from LAX is a haul.

Hello,

I agree that a car rental is the best option, but the Flyaway from LAX to Union Station and then onto the Pacific Surfliner to San Diego would work.

There are some other possibilites...

Have Super Shuttle take you from your hotel to the Amtrak Station in Anaheim, and then take a train to San Diego. This will save you some time because instead of going to downtown Los Angeles, you will go toward San Diego.

There is also a Flyaway from LAX to Irvine, but I do not know if you can take a train from Irvine to San Diego.

And thisis very important, whichever option you decide on, get going as early as possible.

Thanks for all the replies. I've looked at the possibility of renting a car, one of my main concerns is that I'm easily lost (yes I have a gps :D ) and get nervous driving on unfamiliar roads. Plus, I'm totally unfamiliar with us driving laws.

One of my major concerns is that the cruise is departing on the Saturday. I guess I liked the comfort of knowing there were multiple flights that day that could get me to San Diego on time. I'm a creature of habit/comfort. Taking a flight is known to me. Taking a shuttle from the hotel to the airport, a bus from the airport downtown and then a train to San Diego is starting to sound like a PITA for the $150 it'll save. I may just call the airline and see about other flight options.

Thanks for all the replies. I've looked at the possibility of renting a car, one of my main concerns is that I'm easily lost (yes I have a gps :D ) and get nervous driving on unfamiliar roads. Plus, I'm totally unfamiliar with us driving laws.

One of my major concerns is that the cruise is departing on the Saturday. I guess I liked the comfort of knowing there were multiple flights that day that could get me to San Diego on time. I'm a creature of habit/comfort. Taking a flight is known to me. Taking a shuttle from the hotel to the airport, a bus from the airport downtown and then a train to San Diego is starting to sound like a PITA for the $150 it'll save. I may just call the airline and see about other flight options.

This is one of the easier public transportation options in LA.

For $150 savings it would be worth it to me to take the bus to the train. If you consider that you have to go thru security and check bags at LAX all over again, the bus/train option is not that bad. I would also be more nervous about being stuck in an airplane at one of the busiest airports in the world on cruise departure day. It is a short flight but there can be delays at the airport for security, delays where you are stuck on the runway in the plane, general flight delays, etc. If you go for a way that is non plane, you can always result to a shuttle service if all else fails.

The bus to Union station from LAX is only $7 and it runs every 30 minutes starting at 5 AM to 1 AM (every hour 2 AM to 5 AM). Union Station is a beautiful train station and it will be an easy ride to San Diego. This should run a total of less than $40.

The idea to the Irvine train station could work too. Take the flyaway bus for $25 to the Irvine train station. First bus is at 9:45 AM. It can still work but I would stick with Union Station and start the journey earlier than 9:45 AM.

The car option, it is pretty much a straight shot. If you get to the 405 South from the car rental spot, it merges to the 5 South eventually and you take it to San Diego. In San Diego follow the signs to the airport and car return. Really very easy, with a GPS really really easy! There is some beautiful coast line on the way as well that you can stop and get out of the car to see.

Jen in SoCal

The Flyaway + Amtrak trip can be done through LA Union Station or Irvine. Total fare will be less through Union Station, and there is more frequent Flyaway service. Also, Irvine is halfway to San Diego and there will be more exposure to traffic compared to taking the train from LA.

• 2 weeks later...

We flew in to LAX on Jan.14 for our Jan. 16 cruise out of SAN.

Using the AARP Travel site we rented an Economy class vehicle - LAX to SAN for $60.00-

unlimited mileage. Alamo gave us a 7 passenger van. We took the Pacific Coast HWY to SAN. EEZEE PEEZEE.

Rich

We got the GOTO bus, $68 each one way, $88 return

saved all the airport and train hassle, took about 2.5 hrs.,

they pick up/drop off from Airport and most hotels near airport.

for trips between LA and San Diego

http://www.gotobus.com/losangeles/

The flyaway bus I've used a few times. Its a great service and very inexpensive. The train ride to San Diego is considered one of the most scenic in the country. I'd jump on the chance to take the train vs sitting on the freeway any day of the week. Go and enjoy the scenery.

Forget the hassle of renting a car, and driving our crazy freeways.

Take the Flyaway bus to Union Station ($7 one way, pay only with credit card). Take the train down to San Diego ($29 one way). The train station is close to the pier.

Here is the link for Amtrak: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/HomePage

Here is the link for Flyaway bus: http://www.lawa.org/welcome_LAX.aspx?id=292

FYI - Since you are coming in on United, which is at the last terminal at LAX, the Flyaway bus will probably be full. Take shuttle A (Airline Connections stops at each terminal) to one of the first terminals and catch the Flyaway bus there. Make sure the bus says Union Station because there are a few different Flyaway buses to different locations around the city.

Archived