Rum Runners?? do they work on RCL

I thought about sneaking four little wine bottles in my boxing gloves...tee hee

If your really cheap like me use ziplock storage bags 1 zipped into another 1. Then fold and place in shoes in your checked luggage=free booze on board. Sorry im a no good cheap thief.

• 2 months later...

What's funny is on my cruise this past weekend several of our group had multiple rum runners with them. When we got back on the ship in Nassau they were asking people to open their water bottles but my rum runners went through without question.

We had checked baggage, and carry on baggage, all rum runners made it onboard without issue. Now with that being said, we still paid our dues to the bar staff.... so don't worry they won't be going hungry anytime soon.

That was NCL, you wouldn't get by with that on RCCL. They shake the bottles and if there is liquor there are bubbles that stay up, water the bubbles deflate quickly. So they can readily identify the two. They don't even let you take in a bottle of water if you are drinking it. However, they will let you take in sacks of unopened soft drinks/water in certain ports. Go figure.......

But rum runners rule:cool: Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Hmmm. I dispute this since our bar bill at the end of trip (with 2 bottles taken on every cruise) is usually high anyways (and we have concierge access too). It's not about being cheap - it more of a convenience factor. We just enjoy a few drinks on the balcony or while getting ready for dinner.

So please refrain from making judgements, we will all be better off enjoying our vacations as we each please.

I totally agree..very well said!:)

It really didn't become an issue until about 5 years ago.

Yup. After the Smith case where a passenger who might have indulged too much went overbaord in July 2005 - although there were also strong hints of foul play. After the lawsuits were settled (about five years ago) the policies changed. There has long been speculation that either the settlement or the insurance companies required RCI clamping down on consumption. Only way to do that is require purchase from them. There have been past threads about people being cut off after buying rounds of drinks for dinner table and looking like they had over consumed. An indication consumption is tracked. Presomably RCI figures bottle of wine (bought from them) in cabin is not going to be enough to blitz anyone but letting them buy bottle of liquor on ship would be a risk. So smuggling was born (or greatly increased anyway).

That was NCL, you wouldn't get by with that on RCCL.

Last cruise I had a couple cans of leftover beer from hotel in backpack. As they put it on the scanner I told them there was beer in there. They just handed me the backpack and said "Welcome aboard". :D

Edited by Sequim88

rum runners are also good to use in port but don't transfer the booze to the rum runners anywhere in public view. my story.

the first time i used them in port i was filling the runners in the bathroom by the tourist stands. in walks a security guard and his eyes grew as big as saucers when he saw me at the counter sink. right behind him a shrewd guy came in pretty much said holy hanna you can't do that. was i being played? i kinda doubt it or that security guard was a great actor. the shrewd guy asked for money so i threw down a few dollars for them and since i was almost done i wrapped things up and got the heck out of there. i had already been caught during embarkment because i had only one small piece of luggage so i carried it on and they found my 1.75 liter of booze. dumb of me i know. anyway when i got back on board from my very short port excursion[just enough time to buy booze and get back on] during a slow period the security guys knew what was up when they scanned my card. the pat down guy even moved into position waiting to give me a good groping but i walked through the scanners with my bathing trunks sagging from having a liter in booze in the pockets and i didn't set it off. i swear the groper did a eye glare to the security scanner, my crotch, the other security guard, back to the scanner, and back to my crotch when i didn't set it off and he looked disappointed and confused when i walked by him.

We cruise at least 4 times a year! Though we LOVE carnival, I'm going with a big bunch, not big! Lol ladies on an crafting cruise!

We always bring rr with us plus run up a tab getting the cute glasses!

Wasn't sure about bringing the rr on my rccl but now I will just to say I did!

Were pirates too!

Take everything! Give nothing back! Our creed! Lol

Can't imagine how he who should not be named, would have gone off if you said you smoked in your room!

Done that too!

Finally people of like mines!

We go on a cruise, to have fun, relaxes, runaway from life!

If we get a kick out of bringing $20 worth of rum with us who cares?

Well except, like 3 people! There are lots of boards you fit in on, I've left them, so plz feel free to take my spot!

Take everything! Give nothing back! LoL

It was once against the RULES to consume any alcohol in this country. That did not make it ETHICALLY or MORALLY wrong. Just because RC decided that they do not want to follow the cruise line industry norm to allow water, soda and wine to be brought on board does not make this morally or ethically correct.

I have NEVER had a problem getting non alcoholic beverages onboard a RCI ship... In fact on my last sailing our 1st stop was Key West where I picked up a case of diet Pepsi at a local CVS... Cause personally I prefer Pepsi over Coke...;)

Just got back from a Carnival cruise to Cayman and Cozumel. Used 2 Rum runners in 1 suitcase and another along with a bottle of "Listerine" in the other suitcase. NOTHING was confiscated. Listerine bottle was right up front and on top. However, I did take the extra precaution of using an exacto blade to carefully cut the shrink-wrap seal over the cap along the neck ridge. Then after it was refilled, I resealed it to the ring with a couple of drops of super glue to the shrink wrap left on the neck. When Hubby "popped" it open, it was just like breaking the seal on a new bottle. We had plenty to drink on our trip and even brought some back home with us. :D

Okay, I know we all have opinions about taking booze onboard, but this thread isn't a debate, right? Maybe those of you who disagree should start another thread on this debate. The OP asked a question regarding Rum Runners and I think it's impolite to go off on another tangent. I'm just sayin'!

Hmm I never even thought about my bag of wine chilling in the stateroom fridge... maybe because I had taken everything out of it and it was all on the counter there wasn't any reason for them to check the fridge... then again it did look like a giant bag of pee LOL

Edited by Beth C

• 2 weeks later...
Used them on our cruise last January and had no problems. Put them in our shoes in our checked luggage and they arrived in our cabin with no problems. I took them off the ship when we went to St. John's also, and made it thru the scanners back on the ship, just wrapped it in our towel. Good Luck!

Keith

What size did you take?

Bob

I flew to L.A. with rumrunners in my checked bag and my carry on bag. TSA in Atlanta didn't find them and neither did Mariner's scanners. Also brought a little back in carry on bag and they again went through TSA in L.A no problem. Love rumrunners!!

What Size containor, rum runners is the best size

Bob

I keep seeing rum runners, could someone tell me what that is?

Anytime you see something you don't understand..........just type in Google.com and fill in rum runner and it will give you the imformation..........it works on any subject................try you'll like it.

Hmm I never even thought about my bag of wine chilling in the stateroom fridge... maybe because I had taken everything out of it and it was all on the counter there wasn't any reason for them to check the fridge... then again it did look like a giant bag of pee LOL

Can you ask them to empty your refrigerator so that you can use it for your own things?

another rum runner question - are they re-usable?

The photo I've seen doesn't look that easy to clean between uses.

To be practical they have to be washable and dry thoroughly between uses and the sort of nozzle looking thing I've seen has me questioning if it can be re-used

41pI7XZfqzL._SS500_.jpg

To be practical they have to be washable and dry thoroughly between uses and the sort of nozzle looking thing I've seen has me questioning if it can be re-used

41pI7XZfqzL._SS500_.jpg

Wash thoroughly, rinse well, Blow air in and invert in strainer to let water drain. Remove cap and let remaining water drain. Use a large bore straw and blow out excess water drops and leave open to dry with straw insde to keep sides apart till dryed

41pI7XZfqzL._SS500_.jpg

Although I wash between uses, I never worry how well they have dried. Yes, I shake them a bit and leave upside-down for a while but ultimately the Captain is going back in every time and I don't really care if there are a few drops of water in there too. Proportionately, there is not enough water to make a difference to the taste.

32 oz rum runners filled with white wine fit very nicely in the bottom of a canvas six pack cooler with ice on top. Keeps the wine cold and provides enough ice for other beverages for the day. Keep it in the shower as it sweats.

The cabin fridges are "shade" and really don't keep things that cold.

Tucker in Texas