Los Cabos Departure

dag144

In October of last year I took a seven day cruise on the Sapphire Princess. The final Mexican port of call was Cabo. We sailed from there to LA at 2:00PM on a Thursday and arrived in San Pedro on Saturday morning at 7:00AM.

Yesterday I returned from a similar cruise on HAL's Oosterdam. Last Mexican port was Cabo on a Thursday with a 7:00AM arrival at San Diego on Saturday.

The tender service on Princess terminated at 1:00PM. The Oosterdam's tender service terminated with a 4:00PM return. This made for a much more pleasant and leisurely stop at Cabo. When I was on the Princess ship, I just stayed on board. A 1:00PM final tender is too early for lunch and, for me at least, too early to enjoy Cabo's beverage of choice.

At first I excused this early departure thinking it was a desire of the line to save fuel. However, we passed an NCL ship at a very fast clip. i know that San Pedro is a bit further than San Diego and the harbor is perhaps more difficult to maneuver, but does anyone know the reason for Princess' early departure.:mad:

In October of last year I took a seven day cruise on the Sapphire Princess. The final Mexican port of call was Cabo. We sailed from there to LA at 2:00PM on a Thursday and arrived in San Pedro on Saturday morning at 7:00AM.

Yesterday I returned from a similar cruise on HAL's Oosterdam. Last Mexican port was Cabo on a Thursday with a 7:00AM arrival at San Diego on Saturday.

The tender service on Princess terminated at 1:00PM. The Oosterdam's tender service terminated with a 4:00PM return. This made for a much more pleasant and leisurely stop at Cabo. When I was on the Princess ship, I just stayed on board. A 1:00PM final tender is too early for lunch and, for me at least, too early to enjoy Cabo's beverage of choice.

At first I excused this early departure thinking it was a desire of the line to save fuel. However, we passed an NCL ship at a very fast clip. i know that San Pedro is a bit further than San Diego and the harbor is perhaps more difficult to maneuver, but does anyone know the reason for Princess' early departure.:mad:

It's for the reason you just stated... San Diego to San Pedro isn't far by road but there's your three hour difference by sea. They must arrive on time in San Pedro as they only have a few hours to clean and then prepare for the next guests who'll be boarding by 12.00

I read the other thread and i still dont get it.

We sailed the Sapphire a week ago and we didnt set sail from Cabo until almost 4pm. Not sure what the delay was but i looked at my watch when i noticed we were sailing and it was 20 mins to 4. Yet we arrived in San Pedro right on time.

So not sure i buy the answer it has to leave that early to make it to San Pedro on time. Not to mention Carnival stays in Cabo until 3pm and they can make it to LA on time.

It could be more important to an East Coaster who does not get to take a Mexican Pacific cruise often. That is why it is important.:eek:

Even less chance from this side of the pond but I knew, as did you, what the product was when we booked it and it did exactly what it said on the tin..!!

Yes, the Sapphire could probably make it to San Pedro easily if it left later, but I think they leave earlier to give the ship some "wiggle room" in case something goes wrong. A few months ago, they had problems getting a tender back onboard and left after 6pm. The passengers were warned that they may get back to San Pedro late, but she apparently put the pedal to the metal and made it on time, with probably lots more fuel used on that last day...

we were actually underway by 1:40 last month on the December 5-12 Sapphire. If you're off the ship by 9:00, you still have plenty of time in Cabo.......I have no urge to take Carnival just to leave an hour later. HAL leaves later, too, but they also arrive in port later in the morning. We had lots of time to shop, took a water taxi out to Lover's beach and did a little snorkeling. Would it have been nice to have another hour or two, sure, but I also thought we were able to pack plenty in, too.

I read the other thread and i still dont get it.

We sailed the Sapphire a week ago and we didnt set sail from Cabo until almost 4pm. Not sure what the delay was but i looked at my watch when i noticed we were sailing and it was 20 mins to 4. Yet we arrived in San Pedro right on time.

So not sure i buy the answer it has to leave that early to make it to San Pedro on time. Not to mention Carnival stays in Cabo until 3pm and they can make it to LA on time.

We sailed the week before and left about 2:30. The last ship tenders arrived late and loaded. After that one of the Cabo blue and white tenders arrived with a couple of late stragglers, and when they got aboard we set sail. (the HAL Oost was nowhere near getting ready to depart)

Whatever the reason for your late leave, the Captain certainly had to make up the time. I noticed we normally cruised about 17 knots where the ship has around a 22 knot capability. The five knot difference certainly has a fuel penalty and I am sure the Captain would rather cruise at the more economical speed. As I understand the Captains have an incentive to keep their fuel burn rate down.

When the Oosterdam returned to San Diego on the cruise I just completed on Jan., 10th, our cruising speed to San Diego was 21 knots plus. While we did get to Cabo from P V a bit after 9 am, it is nice to have the extra time in any port so that one can visit, tour, eat, or whatever at a normal time without being rushed.

Since HAL will evidently spend the extra money on fuel so that we can more time in port, I think that Princess should be called on it for being what I believe is just being cheap!:)

I too thought they had plenty of time and could leave Cabo later but heard from my sister that the Sapphire pulled in a couple of hours late to San Pedro this past Saturday (Jan. 16) because of a strong headwind going up the coast.

Jackie

Archived