Newbie- mom and daughter on NCL Spirit Mar 11

LakeGoddess

I want to take my daughter on a cruise for her 21st birthday next year, a first-time experience for both of us. We chose the Spirit because it goes out of NOLA, saving the cost of airfare. The other option is Carnival's Triumph.

Is this a good choice for a 21 year old and her 40 something Mom? :)

The NCL Spirit is a 1998 ship, smaller than the other NCL ships and was built for the oriental cruise market. It has retained much of the oriental decor that sets it apart from the other NCL ships. Some report that cabins and bathrooms are smaller.

Here is a link to the CC review of the NCL Spirit...it has lots of good passenger reviews too.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=299

Have a great cruise and spend an extra day in NOLA.

I really enjoy Carnival and also NCL... It's sort of if you like apples better than oranges. Both lines have their positive and negative points about them. I know how you feel about whether or not you made the right choice... have had the same thoughts after booking a cruise.

The very first cruise we took was on the oldest ship in the Costa fleet and we had the smallest cabin ever. The stabilizers were shot and everyone walked in a zip zag manner from the ship tilting from side to side. And after 14 cruises, it still is one of my favorites cruise... Your first cruise no matter what ship you pick you will most likely have a great time.

So YES you picked the right ship. Have lots of fun planning and check NCL roll call posts to see who else will be going.

One consideration, you have picked a date that is lots of schools spring break which means there will be LOTS of kids on ship.

I think this would be great. You have a bit of a drive from Little Rock, but not bad. The good news is boarding in New Orleans is really easy. We have done this cruise before and going again the end of March.

Make sure you visit the ROLL CALL for your cruise.

I want to take my daughter on a cruise for her 21st birthday next year, a first-time experience for both of us. We chose the Spirit because it goes out of NOLA, saving the cost of airfare. The other option is Carnival's Triumph.

In your title you say you are going on the Spirit on March 11, in your post you say you are booking for next year, in your sig line it says March 20. There is not a departure for March 11 or 20, ummm....when are you going?

You will both have a wonderful time! One bit of advice; don't try to spend every waking moment with each other. She will have interests you don't and vice versa, so go a head and try things on your own......maybe something you've never thought would appeal to you before? You might just be surprised!

In March you MIGHT be booked on ship filled with college "Spring Break" passengers. In my experience that can a little irritating, but just go with the flow if you can. It's probably too late to change your booking if that is the case, so you might as well be prepared for the possibility of the usual college shenanigans......:cool:

NCL is a nice mix of partying and quiet times. CCL is more party oriented. If you both love to "club" pick Carnival. The Carnival crowd sure knows how to party....

Actually I think that's an over generalization. In my experience those who like to party hardy prefer the shorter cruises no matter what the cruise line. I have not yet sailed on NCL. I have sailed on Carnival on 10 day cruises and found them to be quite sedate, and shorter RCI/Princess/etc cruises and found them to be more rambunctious. I suppose that makes sense because the younger crown usually sail on short cruises due to school or work schedules along with the lower cost.

Now you are probably correct on the specifics you mentioned (NCL out of NOLA for 7 days versus CCL out of Mobile for less than 7 days). But I think the perception that CCL is a party cruise line is outdated. Carnival has tried to improve the the general cruise experience, and I think they have been successful, at least on the 3-4 Carnival cruises I've had in the last several years.

In March you MIGHT be booked on ship filled with college "Spring Break" passengers. In my experience that can a little irritating, but just go with the flow if you can. so you might as well be prepared for the possibility of the usual college shenanigans......:cool:

I would prefer the spring breakers over a bunch of old people! :D

Actually I think that's an over generalization. In my experience those who like to party hardy prefer the shorter cruises no matter what the cruise line. I have not yet sailed on NCL. I have sailed on Carnival on 10 day cruises and found them to be quite sedate, and shorter RCI/Princess/etc cruises and found them to be more rambunctious. I suppose that makes sense because the younger crown usually sail on short cruises due to school or work schedules along with the lower cost.

Now you are probably correct on the specifics you mentioned (NCL out of NOLA for 7 days versus CCL out of Mobile for less than 7 days). But I think the perception that CCL is a party cruise line is outdated. Carnival has tried to improve the the general cruise experience, and I think they have been successful, at least on the 3-4 Carnival cruises I've had in the last several years.

Been on two short cruises. NCL was rather tame compared to CCL. Both were fun.

I think she is a "girly" ship. She is by far my favorite. I think there will be plenty of things to do together and separately. The Spirit is quite unique and intimate, but her outside spaces are more like older ships (United States), she's really pretty. Smaller cabins, but who's ever in them. Great port for shopping , Cozumel, world class diving and snorkeling in Belize, Mayan ruins in Guatemala and Costa Maya. A great crew. Have fun! I'm taking a cruise with my oldest daughter later this month on the Gem. Have a great time,the Spirit's my favorite. Barb:)

Forgive my confusing dates! I do mean next year- March '11- I just messed up on my clock thingie and didn't know how to fix it :o

We've chosen the date because it IS spring break- she'll be a junior in college next year. So I'm ok with lots of college kids on board- that would actually be great. Not so thrilled about lots of little kids, but, hey, they deserve vacation too!

I like the idea of a slightly smaller ship; maybe it won't be so overwhelming for us newbies. We are not concerned about the size of the cabin/bathroom, especially if we have a balcony.

I am really encouraged by this from stegosaurus...... "Great port for shopping , Cozumel, world class diving and snorkeling in Belize, Mayan ruins in Guatemala and Costa Maya." ......because I wasn't sure about the ports. I think that sounds like a great mix for her. I was starting to think I should investigate other areas in the Caribbean, even if it meant having to fly to FL.

I haven't booked it yet so I still have time......thank you all for your help!

The Spirit is a great ship - easy to find your way around, nice layout, good size, unique Asian decor. And she does a great Western Caribbean itinerary as well. It appeals to most of all ages. Most cruises sailing the western route hit Coz, and many hit Costa Maya (very laid back), but Belize and Guatemala were fantastic ports if you get outside the port area on excursions. You two should have a great time!

Archived