Princess Balcony vs HAL Verandah

dag144

Recently returned from a HAL cruise on a Vista class ship. This is one of there newer ships. Also was on the Sapphire in October. I have booked a HAL verandah in the past, but this was the first time that I tried a Princess balcony.

I think Princess loses in the cabin category. My Princess cabin had lots of storage, but no tub. It takes some getting used to the shower if you don't want to come out to a wet bathroom floor. HAL has a tub. It is small, but I was able to take a bath as well as a shower. And guess what -- all the water from the shower stayed in the tub.

HAL's verandah cabin had a small sofa as well as a coffee table and a chair. There is enough room to eat in the cabin without using the floor! Also there is a mini-fridge in the room. The balcony was definitely larger and more private, with a good size overhang two chairs, a table and an ottoman.

While Princess does many things better than the competition, HAL's verandah cabin would be much more comfortable on a longer cruise (longer than a week), than a Princess balcony, AND, they cost just about the same!:)

Yes from what I've seen while looking through other lines/ships, is that the Princess cabins are a bit smaller, it seems as though a sitting area like a table and sofa are pretty well standard.

We love having the bathtub also, especially after a long day in port, we've recently been putting out the extra cash for the aft minis. It would certainly be nice to save the extra money, but it is what it is, and I have a hard time imagining cruising with another line. We were going to take a quickie to Mexico and try out RCI, and it seemed like their standard balcony room was also about the size of a princess mini.

HAL also has DVD players in their rooms. HAL definitely wins with their cabins IMO.

The only thing that drove me crazy about HAL's rooms is the sound of the air conditioning. I had this issue in both rooms I was in (inside and balcony).

I forgot about the frig on Princess. It's there -- excuse my brain. I also forgot about the HAL DVD's. They are definitely there and the DVD's are free.

Princess does have somewhat better food, but HAL has upgraded their Pizza's to the best level of the popular priced cruises!

Go cruising!:D

IMHO Hal has way better cabins no matter the category, much better bathrooms but Princess wins hands down with closet space!

We pick our cruises by price and itinerary and go with either line.

I must say I give a few extra points to HAL for several things. Appetizers in the bars before dinner, the Crow's Nest, real towels in the bathrooms, lovelier dining rooms...although we really like Princess wait staff, tea on the Promenade deck in the afternoons, full room service menu no matter the cabin. Princess gets points for the best shore excursions and fabulous Bloody Marys :eek:

Cheers, Denise

Archived