Laberdee

a-tx-brit

As pointed out it is an English paper and Haiti is not often in the news over here. I'm not defending the article but if it helps to bring the plight of the Haitian people to the British public's attention then it was right in publishing it. I had very little knowledge of Labadee/Haiti before recent events. Since then I have of course read and learned a lot more about this country, and I am ashamed to say that had it not been for the earthquake I would have been blissfully unaware of Haiti, it's people and it's politics - as far as I was concerned it was an island paradise somewhere in the Caribbean. Now I know differently. I suspect a lot of people were unaware too.

Having lived in the Caribbean area and having traveled to Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, and Jamaica where there are areas of abject poverty and suffering- I think we need to remind ourselves that serious poverty exists in many places, including the U.S. which has a 12% poverty rate.

Some of the worst poverty we have seen, in our travels, was in Los Angeles, right near the famous Hollywood!

The recent earthquake in Haiti is a terrible disaster, but we felt the huge slums outside of Caracas, Venezuela were a disaster too and they are man-made, not created by nature.

Perhaps we all need to think about this world poverty (and work to alleviate it) every day, not just when a natural disaster occurs.

Having lived in the Caribbean area and having traveled to Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, and Jamaica where there are areas of abject poverty and suffering- I think we need to remind ourselves that serious poverty exists in many places, including the U.S. which has a 12% poverty rate.

Some of the worst poverty we have seen, in our travels, was in Los Angeles, right near the famous Hollywood!

The recent earthquake in Haiti is a terrible disaster, but we felt the huge slums outside of Caracas, Venezuela were a disaster too and they are man-made, not created by nature.

Perhaps we all need to think about this world poverty (and work to alleviate it) every day, not just when a natural disaster occurs.

Very well said. I totally agree with you!

I hope we can get a few more threads going on Labadee and Haiti today! Seriously, how hard would it have been for the OP to just reply to one of the other SEVENTEEN threads about this (rolls eyes).

LOL mgg....how true! The number of threads on this topic, all saying the EXACT same thing, is getting a little tiresome. For some reason I keep opening them though....hoping someone might have something new to report (i.e. result of Friday's stop, etc.).

Just curious. If it bothered people before the earthquake why would they book a cruise that stopped there? Seems there are plenty of other itineraries that don't stop in Labedee.

Many do.

Lots of folks avoid cruises that call there.

I'm one of them.

People posting many threads about Haiti and Labadee indicates that the subject is important to them.

Some of the other threads have become critical and argumentative with people being unpleasant to the OP- why don't people just continue on with their reading if they don't have something to say about the topic?

Archived