redcc55

So we've agreed on am itinerary. These are the ports:

SEATTLE

JUNEAU

SKAGWAY

GLACIER BAY

KETCHICAN

VICTORIA

A couple of lines have these ports more or less: Princess and NCL and HAL (Princess, Oosterdam, Pearl). The posted prices range all within a couple of C-notes for a balcony. We're looking at the end of August. We've been watching the prices of the cruises for two months. The only thing changing significantly are the Deposit requirements.

QUESTION for those that have done this before:

What are the chances that prices will change dramatically up or down in the next several months...say before May?

SHOULD WE JUST BOOK NOW AND GET IT OVER WITH...

OR WAIT FOR A "SALE"??????

Thanks,

Red and Bonnie

I'd book the cruise with a price guarnatee. That way if the price goes down, the cruiseline will honor it. I've been doing this for years. I booked in August and the price has come down about 500 each and could continue to come down due to availability, i.e. last year.

Princess is currently having a balcony bonanza and they are definitely my top choice in Alaska.

I'd book the cruise with a price guarnatee. That way if the price goes down, the cruiseline will honor it.

Is that possible through an Agent? I spoke directly with a couple of lines and they offered the price guarantee, but their prices were a lot higher than one particular Agent.

How do the Agents sell at reduced levels?...economies of scale, reduced commissions?

Generally price drops are for late bookings, after the final payments. Many people can not take advantage of these.

I suggest you book with a booking agent that charges low or no cancelation fees. Then keep track of pricing trends YOURSELF. If you see a rate drop, immediately contact the booking agent and request the price adjustment. Do NOT leave this up to an agent to automaticily do.

If you can wait, it is best to block out a couple weeks of time and have several ships you will consider taking. Then be well prepared to book immediately when a price drop is seen, and also willing to accept NOT going.

I do do this frequently, just this month, couldn't find anything on a dump price, over 2 weeks of blocked time. I moved the time a couple weeks and picked up an early Feb trip. I have gotten excellent rates. But I am also extremely flexable and don't need to purchase air, which makes a significant difference.

We made our decision:

We're on the Golden Princess RT Seattle, Aug 21. Balcony Caribe (BB).

We really liked the Glacier Bay scenic cruising aspect of this cruise.

Found a nice rate through an Agent and we'll watch the rates as BQ suggests.

We'll also watch the flights from NJ to Seattle...around $400 now, hope they'll come down. Probably arrive the day before embarkation.

Now it's on to booking excursions for:

Juneau: Probably whale watch and glacier copter/dog sled.

Skagway: Rent a car, get Murray's Guide and drive to Emerald Lake.Anything else?

Ketchican: Can't figure this one out...5.5 hours ain't a lot of time.

Victoria: No clue.

Any comments or suggestions??

Thanks,

Red

Red,

Not sure which air carrier you're looking at but we're cruising out of Seattle on the Sapphire, and booked our air (out of Norfolk, VA) through Southwest. We were able to get a great rate ($460 pp) and, with two bags free pp, the ability to pack lots of layers. They currently aren't taking reservations past 8/13, but I'd definitely check back.

Archived