WARNING to JEWELRY LOVING people

Lapidarylady

On our recent cruise some fellow CCers were going snorkleing. The lady in question forgot to remove her rings, and unfortunately the ocean did that for her. It was terrible because she lost her wedding set! PLEASE remember to leave ALL jewelry back on the boat when doing water activities. The coolness causes your fingers to shrink slightly and that combined with the pull and resistance of the water is enough to pull them off. We have a friend who is a serious metal detectorist and he finds LOTS of beautiful rings each year, as well as chains and the occasional watch. In fact he finds enough to afford trips to Hawaii twice a year for both he and his wife.....And he always brings his metal detector!:(:eek:

How sad. That is a very good reminder. Thank you. I also remember a sign at a hotel beach in Hawaii asking if anyone had located a pair of dentures that I suspect suffered the same fate in the surf. Humbling when Mother Nature wants to talk to us.

A day on CC without a Pipedreams photo is like a day without sunshine.:D

Another reason for not wearing bling while swimming or snorkling is that sharks are attracted by the sparkle in the water.------Just a thought.

OK Pipedreams---bring on a related photo-----nobody does it better.

------Well maybe Copper John is a close second.

Keep 'em comin; Jay! We love your astute size up of a situation and the matching pix. If Zappa fan would remember the "Mothers of Invention" liked a good laugh.

SwissMyst, I always enjoy reading your posts.

As for jewelery in the water, as long time snorkelers we take it all off before swimming.

On our recent cruise some fellow CCers were going snorkleing. The lady in question forgot to remove her rings, and unfortunately the ocean did that for her. It was terrible because she lost her wedding set! PLEASE remember to leave ALL jewelry back on the boat when doing water activities. The coolness causes your fingers to shrink slightly and that combined with the pull and resistance of the water is enough to pull them off. We have a friend who is a serious metal detectorist and he finds LOTS of beautiful rings each year, as well as chains and the occasional watch. In fact he finds enough to afford trips to Hawaii twice a year for both he and his wife.....And he always brings his metal detector!:(:eek:

Add sunscreen to the disaster waiting to happen.... Salzburg

Pipesdreams always puts a smile on my face.

We were snorkeling in Curacau. There was some "trash" floating in the water. I remember being annoyed at seeing this, and grabbed it. Turned out it was DH credit card!! He put it in the pocket of his swim trunks. At that time, a credit card was used to open/close the safe. It took all of my patience and self control to not want to kill him!! I had to put it out of my mind so as not to ruin a wonderful Panama Canal cruise!!

Archived