Excursion Suggestions?

pma19

Hi Everyone,

Would just like to go over our plans with you knowledgeable cruisers. We are an active family of five 14 to 48, traveling on the Diamond from Vancouver to Whittier with a four night cruise tour. We would like to experience as much as we can however I am concerned about all of the traveling on buses, trains, boats, shuttles, etc., (will we be over doing it)

Flying in from Toronto to Vancouver, then on ship (same day)

Ketchikan: Zip Lining with Rain Forest Canopy (need to book through Princess)

Juneau: booked Harv and Marv early morning tour 9:30-12:30 would also like to book the Medenall Glacier Canoe Adventure has anyone been? (also have intentions of going on the Tram...

Skagway: thinking of booking Hellgate Jet Tour again has anyone been?...would like to do train to Yukon, however we will be traveling by train at the end of the cruise... don't know if we should?

Have I overlooked a tour that needs to be considered?

When we disembark we will be traveling to Denalli for two nights...arriving around 6pm...heard good things about the Tundra Shuttle Tour (wondering if it will be too long on a bus 7-9 hours?)

Next we go to Mt. McKinnley (Talkeetna) for one night

Then one night in Seward (check in at 3pm)

(Also wanted to go ATVing in the mist of everything)

Fly back to Vancouver

Unsure if we will be flying into Toronto same day or if we will need to make a stop over in Vancouver

Any suggestions, feedback or tips from you would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you :)

We did the Mendenhall Lake Canoe Adventure and really enjoyed it, but it certainly didn't have the "wow" factor of ziplining and jet boats. :)

(attached picture of me in my "Michelin Man" suit on the Canoe Adventure)

If you want a better view of glaciers, take one of the Prince William Sound glacier tours

when you disembark at Whittier. Way better than the tour at Mendenhall.

Do the kids like kayaking? There are opportunities for that in every port. Or maybe the rock climbing or even the snorkeling in Ketchikan?

Good idea to forget the Skagway train IMO.

Have a great time!

mendenhallglacier_jpg_w560h420.jpg.20f09ed6d3d474bc2e689e34840c2533.jpg

When we disembark we will be traveling to Denalli for two nights...arriving around 6pm...heard good things about the Tundra Shuttle Tour (wondering if it will be too long on a bus 7-9 hours?)

There are two things discussed on this board in Denali. The NPS operates shuttle buses, and also operates the Tundra Wilderness Tour. As part of our cruisetour, we did the TWT. It is a very good tour, on reasonably comfortable buses, but they should not be confused with the big luxurious tour buses! It has the reputation of being the very best for wildlife viewing. The most important thing, IMAO, is that the driver has a 100x video camera. Most of the wildlife sightings were of the "What's that dot on the hillside?" variety until the driver put the camera on them. Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/ct3.html

It is obvious you are active people from your other tour choices. Sitting on the bus for 7 hours, with only two leg stretch and potty stops, may not be your thing. The shuttle buses offer the opportunity to get off at various points and hike a bit, and that may be more to your taste. The shuttle buses we saw looked even more minimal than the tour buses, and AFIAK the driver does not have the camera.

However, one way or another, do not miss the opportunity to get deep into the park.

Have a GREAT cruise!

My husband and I love the excursions, and Alaska had to be about the best! I would highly recommend the following:

Ketchikan - Mountain Point Snorkeling (wetsuit, pretty comfy temps, completely different than any other snorkeling and beautiful photo ops. You'll probably be able to fit in 2 excursions as I think this one was just about 2-3 hours.)

Juneau - BEST ziplining tour we've ever done. It's the Rainforest Canopy & Zipline tour. You got a jet boat ride, an ATV ride, then the zipline tour. Also some of the longest ziplines we ever rode.

Skagway - You can book directly with Packer Expeditions where you get a partial Yukon railway ride, then they drop you off in the middle of nowhere and you hike up to Laughton Glacier. We had a snowstorm the night before, so our hike turned into a snowshoe. We picnicked up on the rocks by the glacier. Afterward, the train picked us up, we rode in the last car back to town drinking Alaskan beer. It was, without a doubt, the best day of our trip! http://packerexpeditions.com/packer/Day%20Hikes.html

Have a fantastic trip!

Archived