Crew Welfare Fund

lisiamc

After quite a few cruises, I learned something very interesting on our most recent one.

We had our tips included through an Azamara promotion, and although we gave extra to our excellent butler, cabin attendant, and some others, we wanted to find a way to show our appreciation of the wonderful service provided by all the crew members we met.

Our cruise buddies told us that on Silversea, there was a crew welfare fund on each of their ships that passengers could contribute to. We asked the head of HR on Journey about this, and she confirmed that Azamara does this too. The crew welfare fund is used for things that benefit the crew overall, such as parties and social events, and other things to make life on the ship more enjoyable.

We made a contribution to the fund, and received a very nice phone call from the head of HR to thank us.

We were really pleased to find out about the crew welfare fund, and I wanted to share what we learned. We enjoyed having an additional way of thanking the crew for the kindness, friendliness and outstanding service we received. We will definitely do this again on future cruises.

Lisa

So Lisa, where did you have to go or who did you have to see to make this contribution?

We just went to the front desk and asked about it. They called the HR director, and she came right out to see us there and then!

Lisa

I'm wondering that when the gratuities included goes into effect - will most people then tip extra for crew members they have repeated interaction with? But the crew welfare fund in an interesting option.

I would love to hear a crewmember's perspective about the crew welfare fund. To me, it is reminiscent of when an employer shells out for holiday parties, etc., but does not pay you as generously as you would like (I assume I am not the only person to attend involuntary work functions and estimate how much per employee it cost them). On the other hand, unlike at work, crew don't get to go home or see families for months at a time, so perhaps they are more likely to appreciate the occasional festivity?

Archived