Passengers stealing photos on Ships

RevSmith

Is it just me or does this bother a lot of people:

In the past year I have noticed a lot of passengers stealing things from the ship. In particular in the photo area. People would go up and purchase a photo, then go back and look at the photos again and place a few more photos in the folder that the purchased photo was in. If it only happened once I would never mention it, but I have seen this happen at least 15 times on the last 3 trips I have been on.

I understand the photos are expensive and they are nice, but I was unaware of how many were getting taken until recently.

The price lose is passed on to us in the long run. If it were known that photo thieves got caught and were prosecuted I assume not as many would do it. But now it seems it is a very common practice. It's sad.

Rev

Wow. The nerve.

You KNOW there are cameras everywhere. I would expect to get a visit from security for trying something like that.

I've heard some ships have evolved to a different system where they don't print everything, but instead have the images on a kiosk where you can place an order for whatever you want and pick it up a little later.

That makes more sense on several levels. I remember the space that was taken up by all the photos on display on my last couple of cruises. That's valuable real estate that could be used for something else. Heck, that space could be used for a permanent portrait studio if they wanted. That way, you could go and get a big tattoo on board, then go and have the stinging, bleeding mess photographed in a nice studio on the same sea day :-D

Hmmm...

Doesn't happen on Carnival.

Each displayed photo has one of those little plastic security thingies on the back....and discreet detectors you pass through in and out of the photo area.

On most of their ships anyway.

It's been my experience that those of low moral character will steal anything that isn't nailed down. And, if they can find a claw hammer to steal, they'll remove the nails.....

They are the dregs of our society and are always with us. It's unfortunate that there are so many "average looking" folks walking around with a head full of faulty wiring...who think they are entitled to "other peoples stuff".....

I'd call them out.....and report them....and have.

If I see a shoplifter in action....I announce it loud and clear. If we all did this, perhaps we could shame a few of these low-lifes....

When you get a large amount of people in the area all looking for their photos, unless a security camera is set up to catch someone, it would be difficult for those at the counter to know its happening. Why anyone would jeopardize their cruise for a $20 photo is beyond me. These same people would think nothing of spending $20 for drinks over the course of the evening. If caught stealing they could be held or put off the ship.

I'm not condoning(s/p) the actions...but i highly doubt there is a cost passed on to us because of this....

At the end of each cruise all the unused photos get thrown away anyway... I knos this for a fact because we came across a very nice girl on one of our cruises who told us to come back the last night right at closing time and pick up our package. We returned as instructed and in our package was the 3 or 4 photos we had bought....and then tucked away behind everything else was all the rest of our photos we had not bought. She told us that they would just throw them away anyway, and gave them to us because my wife had a hard time deciding which photos to pick out.....

don't you have to pass through electronic gates when you go into the photo area?

Yes but it will only go off if you pass by one of the sensors enroute to pay, it sounds an alarm and everyone stops and stares at you. Once you pay for a photo, it is demagnetized and no longer will set off the alarm.

Surprised that RCL doesn't have a better system in place on its ships to prevent photo theft.

MARAPRINCE

Wow! That's crazy! People actually steal the photo's?

We have never seen anyone steal photos on any of our cruises (that's not to say it doesn't happen)

I guess I am surprised that an adult would consider stealing anything, much less a photo! The risks!

Since I have purchased photos numerous times off cruise ships from professional photographers I have to say I think the onboard photos are a bargain @ $19.95.

But that is not the subject of the thread, so all I can say is I hope some of them (or all of them) do get caught. Stealing is stealing. Just like smuggling 2 - 4 oz. bottles of booze is smuggling booze. If you get caught, there is no excuse...not even the claim they feel the photos are expensive.

I have never witnessed it being done, but I have seen people photgraphing their formal shots right under the sign that says not to.

Would you report a person you witness doing these things? I might, given the circumstances since it hurts us all.

I too was surprised to see all the photos printed out for display when we went on our first (RCI) cruise. I assumed that they would be on computers or at kiosks that we would choose and then print. Can't imagine that the cost of a few kiosks would be more than the long term cost of printing all those photos that are then thrown out. Was also a bit put off that anyone could purchase any photos.

Since I have purchased photos numerous times off cruise ships from professional photographers I have to say I think the onboard photos are a bargain @ $19.95.

But that is not the subject of the thread, so all I can say is I hope some of them (or all of them) do get caught. Stealing is stealing. Just like smuggling 2 - 4 oz. bottles of booze is smuggling booze. If you get caught, there is no excuse...not even the claim they feel the photos are expensive.

I have never witnessed it being done, but I have seen people photgraphing their formal shots right under the sign that says not to.

Would you report a person you witness doing these things? I might, given the circumstances since it hurts us all.

At least with smuggling booze, if you do get caught, you aren't going to go to JAIL!

I'm also surprised RCCL doesn't use the kiosk. I would also love it if they could link it to the interactive TV. Somehow they could scan our SeaPass and then take our photo. They do this at Disney World and it's great to be able to go home and upload your photos from your trip. On RCCL they could upload the photos each evening and BAM there are our photos on our TVs. Now that would be nice.

It seems like such a waste. All of that paper,all of those chemicals that are used to print them. And at the end of each cruise they are just discarded. Not very earth wise.

On our Princess cruise, I remember that for coming in second place in a trivia contest, I won a picture of Mr. and Mrs. Smith, who had sailed the week before. :eek: Quite a clever way to use at least one of those unused photos. :D

Who buys those junk photos with fake backdrops anyways. They should be free. The cruise robs me blind every time I drink. Pay backs a B**ch.

Interesting. Justifying stealing because you feel the drink prices are high.

Why not just refrain from having your photo taken if you don't care for the back drop.

Hmmm...

Doesn't happen on Carnival.

Each displayed photo has one of those little plastic security thingies on the back....and discreet detectors you pass through in and out of the photo area.

On most of their ships anyway.

It's been my experience that those of low moral character will steal anything that isn't nailed down. And' date=' if they can find a claw hammer to steal, they'll remove the nails.....

They are the dregs of our society and are always with us. It's unfortunate that there are so many "average looking" folks walking around with a head full of faulty wiring...who think they are entitled to "other peoples stuff".....

I'd call them out.....and report them....and have.

If I see a shoplifter in action....I announce it loud and clear. If we all did this, perhaps we could shame a few of these low-lifes....[/quote']

When I was on the Carnival Dream in December not all photos had the security tag on them. This I know because I wasn't paying attention to where I was going trying to show one to my sister and walked through the security gates without setting it off. Out of about 15 photos only 2 had the security tag on them. If they get busy and have tons of photos they don't begin to label all of them.

Personally I wish all the ships would do the kiosks placed througout the ship and let you print off photos as you wish and stop wasting so much paper not to mention trying to look through all the photos just to find yours.

Who buys those junk photos with fake backdrops anyways. They should be free. The cruise robs me blind every time I drink. Pay backs a B**ch.

"Fake backdrops" are not limited to cruise ships. Lots of people buy photo's with "fake backdrops" from photo studios. Perhaps your should stop drinking - you might be able to afford a photo or two.:)

While it´s still a waste to print all those pics, they don´t throw them out anymore, but there´s procedures now to wash off the "ink" and reuse the paper.

To steal the pics is WRONG no matter what !!!

With Carnival having a "security" system aginst picture stealing in place I guess they might have had their issue with picture stealing already and maybe it´s something that wasn´t a topic for RCI as of yet. But if the OP´s observations get more and more of a problem on RCI we might see a similar system on their ships as well.

On our Princess cruise, I remember that for coming in second place in a trivia contest, I won a picture of Mr. and Mrs. Smith, who had sailed the week before. :eek: Quite a clever way to use at least one of those unused photos. :D

Now THAT'S funny . .. :D:D

Archived