LIVE from the Pearl

CruisnGram

We got there at 11:30 and were sitting down eating in the buffet at 12:30. You can drop off you luggage in that room on deck 12 near library. We just carried ours around. Room ready by 1:30 for our mini suite areas but other rooms could take longer so that's why the 2PM deal. No harm in checking it out after 1:30 to see if ready.

The Summer Palace was open for lunch first day. The menus are the same in both DRs. We like Summer P. because it's bigger, more beautiful to look at and the seats much more comfortable then Indigo but Summer is more noisy for some reason. The new menu was our week. It seemed to be more of the everyday side stuff and less of the daily specials is what I saw in it every night. That's good in a way as the everyday items were really good so you could fall back on that if you didn't like the specials. Did not like they took off the escargo, the filet and the creme brule.

So are you saying that they do not offer escargo or creme brule in the MDR at all anymore? I look forward to eating both on cruises.

there seems to be some disagreement about the omlette stations. Others say they are still there. Please clarify.

Yes if any one who has just gotten off the Pearl can tell us this it would be appreciated. I love to get omelets in the morning and bring them back to my room.

Those of you that just got off the pearl...can you tell us if they stay on ship's time or change to local time? (Eastern vs. Atlantic) Just trying to plan for independent shore excursions. Tortola itinerary says 7-3, wondered if that was local time. We are struggling to get a trip to the baths with that schedule.

That is correct. The new menu does not offer escargo or creme brule any night in the main DRs. However you can get these items in the Le Bistro for a mere $20. I will add but don't know if this is a change as it has been 3 years since our last Pearl cruise but the lobster tail is now only a 1/2 of a tail and it is now paired with grouper. Now we could order all of the 1/2 tails we wanted but it sure does take a while to eat them 1/2 at a time vs. a whole tail. And the lobster was not on the one and only "dress up or NOT" night. They had Cod fish that night. It was later on in the week like Tuesday or Weds. As far as jeans go you can wear jeans in the Indigo or any speciality DR except Summer Palace. From my Daily under What To Wear "Resort casual including jeans is welcome in any of our resturants except Summer Palace our designated "dress up" restaurant." But to be honest I saw several jeans in Summer Palace (as if NCL has ever been able to enforce that rule). However you can not wear shorts any night except maybe that first night (yeah I know you didn't get you luggage yet or you were to tried from stuffing from the first lunch buffet to unpack it). We actually saw several couples turned away at the door for shorts in both DRs.

It was rather funny on one couple who was turned away for shorts in Summer Palace. We followed them around the ship and they got turned away everywhere they went. I guess they didn't know the Lido buffet was open at night and shorts were okay. Buffet you can get away with shorts at night. Another thing I will mention is they no longer offer that little shrimp cocktail each night. They have a very nice cold shrimp rolls apetizer in it's place. You can however get a rather large shrimp (2 shrimp per order) in the buffet at night but you must ask for it near the salad bar area. They only set one or two out at a time and they get gone quick so you walk by and don't see them and if you don't know to ask you won't get it. I guess that is part of the NCL cut back problem "out of sight, out of mind" mode. You don't see the shrimp so you don't ask and you don't ask they don't tell. Same goes for chocolate milk cartons in the breakfast buffet. Got to ask for them now.

yes time change on Sunday night when you go to bed. They remind you. Change clocks 1 hour forward. Then on Weds. night change back the hour before you go to bed. So you are on island time.

I guess that is better then the ship not changing. I remember a couple of guys who were at a local port bar that the ship did not change the time and they looked at the bar clock and said they had another hour for another couple rounds of drinks. As they left the bar they waved good bye to their ship! I bet those drinks cost them a bundle!

I see you wanted to get in the baths. While you might think you can save time and money to get to the baths on your own it IMO you are better to book through the ship for that one. For some reason they have a faster ferry boat to get you to the Virgin Gouda island and their own large passenger truck taxi will take you to the baths/beach park. We booked the Highlights Virgin Gouda Baths tour.

That includes the $3 to get into the baths park. By the time you pay a ferry, a taxi and the $3 on your own with slower transportation the ship's excursion will have you back quicker and safer. We had plenty of time at the baths to see the caves and snorkel and lay on beach and even eat lunch if you wanted to. And then there is that huge relief of knowing the ship will not leave you should your taxi have a flat tire or your ferry boat blow an engine mid way. That to me is worth a few dollars extra to boat some excursions through the ship.

Those baths are no where near Tortola port.

I see you wanted to get in the baths. While you might think you can save time and money to get to the baths on your own it IMO you are better to book through the ship for that one. For some reason they have a faster ferry boat to get you to the Virgin Gouda island and their own large passenger truck taxi will take you to the baths/beach park. We booked the Highlights Virgin Gouda Baths tour.

That includes the $3 to get into the baths park. By the time you pay a ferry, a taxi and the $3 on your own with slower transportation the ship's excursion will have you back quicker and safer. We had plenty of time at the baths to see the caves and snorkel and lay on beach and even eat lunch if you wanted to. And then there is that huge relief of knowing the ship will not leave you should your taxi have a flat tire or your ferry boat blow an engine mid way. That to me is worth a few dollars extra to boat some excursions through the ship.

Those baths are no where near Tortola port.

I booked this tour through NCL also for just the reasons you mentioned. The peace of mind alone is worth the extra $$.

Who is your cruise director? I was wondering if it's Julie, the blonde, from Canada....and hoping she's still there when we sail the Pearl to Alaska at the end of May. Thanks!

We were on the same cruise and Julie is still the cruise director and she does an excellent job. No Captain Stubing or Issac the bartender though :D

As the Captain of the Pearl would say " Have a smashing cruise"

I am about to book a suite on the Pearl for Alaska in August. Would you suggest the 8th or 9th deck since the nightclub is on the 7th deck??

We were on deck 10 which was a good location as deck 12 is the pool and buffet and alot of the bars and restaurants are on decks 6 & 7.

For those considering the Baths, NCL does offer another tour which we took. We enjoyed it a lot, but one warning. It's called "Virgin Gorda Bath's & Snorkle". Great boat, quick transport to the Baths, but they do not go right into the beach at the Baths...you have to swim in. The info about the trip says you must be able to swim 300 yards and they aren't exagerating one bit. I'm a pretty strong swimmer but I was glad to have the snorkle vest on. The current was going out and it was a hard swim to shore. When you'd stop to rest and just float, the current took you right back out again! :) Snorkling was great at the Bath's though...would highly recommend it. Wouldn't however recommend this particular excursion for kids unless they are very strong swimmers...adults either for that matter.

CG

Curious to know, what deck do you embark on in Miami? Also what deck is it for the tenders? What deck for St Thomas and Tortola?

Thanks

At Miami you embark on deck 7. At all other ports wether tender or direct to pier you disembark from deck 4. Hope this helps.

That is correct. The new menu does not offer escargo or creme brule any night in the main DRs. However you can get these items in the Le Bistro for a mere $20. I will add but don't know if this is a change as it has been 3 years since our last Pearl cruise but the lobster tail is now only a 1/2 of a tail and it is now paired with grouper. Now we could order all of the 1/2 tails we wanted but it sure does take a while to eat them 1/2 at a time vs. a whole tail. And the lobster was not on the one and only "dress up or NOT" night. They had Cod fish that night. It was later on in the week like Tuesday or Weds. As far as jeans go you can wear jeans in the Indigo or any speciality DR except Summer Palace. From my Daily under What To Wear "Resort casual including jeans is welcome in any of our resturants except Summer Palace our designated "dress up" restaurant." But to be honest I saw several jeans in Summer Palace (as if NCL has ever been able to enforce that rule). However you can not wear shorts any night except maybe that first night (yeah I know you didn't get you luggage yet or you were to tried from stuffing from the first lunch buffet to unpack it). We actually saw several couples turned away at the door for shorts in both DRs.

It was rather funny on one couple who was turned away for shorts in Summer Palace. We followed them around the ship and they got turned away everywhere they went. I guess they didn't know the Lido buffet was open at night and shorts were okay. Buffet you can get away with shorts at night. Another thing I will mention is they no longer offer that little shrimp cocktail each night. They have a very nice cold shrimp rolls apetizer in it's place. You can however get a rather large shrimp (2 shrimp per order) in the buffet at night but you must ask for it near the salad bar area. They only set one or two out at a time and they get gone quick so you walk by and don't see them and if you don't know to ask you won't get it. I guess that is part of the NCL cut back problem "out of sight, out of mind" mode. You don't see the shrimp so you don't ask and you don't ask they don't tell. Same goes for chocolate milk cartons in the breakfast buffet. Got to ask for them now.

Thanks so much for this information. I will have to ask for the shrimp at the buffet for my appetizer and then go to the MDR for dinnner. I also love chocolate milk and will ask for it. I will have to make sure I dine at Le Bistro for the esgargo and creme brulee.

My DW & I stayed in a suite just above the nightclub last year on the Pearl. We barely ever heard any sound from the club just below us. Even with the balcony slider open the music was not very noticable. We have been on the Pearl 3 times and the aft is definitely our favorite! We were just on the 1/16-1/23 2010 sailing and stayed in an A4 (14012). The courtyard was great and the sundeck even better, but I still love the aft! I am sure you will enjoy the Alaska cruise from Deck 8 or 9.

The only mark against NCL was the absence of the champagne as we boarded. I look forward to that gesture of "You are on vacation!", but now it is gone. I really hope they bring it back!

• 4 weeks later...
My DW & I stayed in a suite just above the nightclub last year on the Pearl. We barely ever heard any sound from the club just below us. Even with the balcony slider open the music was not very noticable. We have been on the Pearl 3 times and the aft is definitely our favorite! We were just on the 1/16-1/23 2010 sailing and stayed in an A4 (14012). The courtyard was great and the sundeck even better, but I still love the aft! I am sure you will enjoy the Alaska cruise from Deck 8 or 9.

The only mark against NCL was the absence of the champagne as we boarded. I look forward to that gesture of "You are on vacation!", but now it is gone. I really hope they bring it back!

CommodoreCluck,

Thanks for the reply on staying right above the night club on the Pearl.

Exactly the info I was looking for.

Thanks

Archived