LIVE from the Pearl

CruisnGram

If you can ask while on board:

1. does the main dinning rooms have coloring crayons with the kids meal for kids to use or should I bring some The main dining rooms had coloring childrens menus but no crayons. The waiters did locate a pen to keep the kids happy. Absolutely bring crayons

2. does the kids menu have sundeas? Do they have sprinkles for ice cream kids can make thier own in the dining room? They will bring ice cream with choc syrup and we did find a few waiters willing to run up to the buffet to get sprinkles

3. does the kids play area have any open time for mom and dad to play in there with the kids I am not sure about this but I will try to find out from family who took children to the playroom.

4. the kids pool? How is it? Any place to just spash around and not go all the way in the pool? Very small pool and play area that was enclosed. OK for a few children at one time.

THANKS SO MUCH!

I was on the Pearl 1/2-1/9/10. I answered what I could from what I saw with my family in the dining area. I'll email them to find out more information for you. I would suggest that you ask the staff to bring the childrens food asap rather serve with the group. Many of the saff were serving childrens meals when the adults got their meals. It had to keep kids entertained for 1-2 hours without something to eat while adults have appetizers, soup & salad.

We were on the Pearl last week with my granddaughter who is 2 1/2. They do not have crayons we couldn't even get a pen but they gave her a menu which she was able to write on after we find a pen in one of our purses. As for the ice cream sundaes we asked for them and got them but if they want sprinkles the waiter will have to run up to the buffet to get them. They have a nice play area around the pool. They have a slide that the little ones are able to go right into the pool but you have to watch because some bigger children go in there and there isn't anyone who tells them to leave. I hope this helps.

I was on the Pearl 1/2-1/9/10. I answered what I could from what I saw with my family in the dining area. I'll email them to find out more information for you. I would suggest that you ask the staff to bring the childrens food asap rather serve with the group. Many of the saff were serving childrens meals when the adults got their meals. It had to keep kids entertained for 1-2 hours without something to eat while adults have appetizers, soup & salad.

Hi Tervok,

I have an update from family that said free play was allowed with family only the first night after that no parents

Do they have the large shrimp in different count options in the Blue Lagoon as an item they sale on the Pearl? We just saw them for the first time on the Spirit and they were great. Our group on the late 27 Feb Pearl Cruise hope the shrimp are being offered.

Hello everyone. Sorry I didn’t post yesterday. Having so much fun I didn’t have time to get online. Sorry, not trying to make anyone jealous! LOL...

I have noticed several cut backs from our last cruise with NCL.... no omelet or waffle station in the buffet ...

CG

there seems to be some disagreement about the omlette stations. Others say they are still there. Please clarify.

Do they have the large shrimp in different count options in the Blue Lagoon as an item they sale on the Pearl? We just saw them for the first time on the Spirit and they were great. Our group on the late 27 Feb Pearl Cruise hope the shrimp are being offered.

They had large shrimp several nights at the buffet on my Pearl 1/2-1/9/2010 sailing. I don't recall seeing them on the Blue Lagoon menu

there seems to be some disagreement about the omlette stations. Others say they are still there. Please clarify.

I know what others are saying and they could be right. But my personal experience was that I couldn't find the omelette or waffle station on the Pearl. And, I never saw anyone eating an omelette or a waffle. I know that they sometimes tuck it in one of the specialty restaurants that adjoin the buffet but I checked there too and couldn't find it. Hopefully, someone that was on my sailing will come back and tell me that I simply missed it, but frankly, I think it's gone. New MDR menu's plus some of the specialty restaurant menu's were being changed last week. The executive chef (Cousins) was on board and actually sat down with us in LeBistro to chat for a while. He was excited about all the changes they were making on the Pearl in all venues. So maybe that has something to do with the omelette and waffle stations being gone.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do, but I don't think I am.

CG

I know what others are saying and they could be right. But my personal experience was that I couldn't find the omelette or waffle station on the Pearl. And, I never saw anyone eating an omelette or a waffle. I know that they sometimes tuck it in one of the specialty restaurants that adjoin the buffet but I checked there too and couldn't find it. Hopefully, someone that was on my sailing will come back and tell me that I simply missed it, but frankly, I think it's gone. New MDR menu's plus some of the specialty restaurant menu's were being changed last week. The executive chef (Cousins) was on board and actually sat down with us in LeBistro to chat for a while. He was excited about all the changes they were making on the Pearl in all venues. So maybe that has something to do with the omelette and waffle stations being gone.

CG

We were on the same Pearl sailing as CruisinGram, and we never did see an omelet or waffle making station, either. Plenty of other options, though, I promise!!!

Just back to from same week. NO omlet/fried egg stations but they did set out the eggs benedict. I asked and as told the egg suppler didn't show this week. That's either a nice way to say they have cut back the omlet station at the buffet and will no longer offer it. I was told by upper brass about the egg shorter this week but can get the omlet and fried eggs in the main DR each day. Maybe next week we can hear if the omlet stations are back or not.

As to formal nights there is only one official "dress up or not night" being offered. I know the NCL website under the FAQ says there are 2 on a 7 day cruise but I questioned why the "dress up or not night" was not noted on the 2nd supposedly formal night in the upper right hand corner of the Daily. The answer I got was they have had only one night for a long time and the 2nd night is only "optional" like any other night of the week. Which means the ship only recognises one official formal type night and the rest you can dress as you please. Some dress up every night and others dress up no nights. That's what freestyle is all about is it not? But no there is only one formal night but I darn not use the "F" word on the NCL ships. It is now called officially a "Dress Up or NOT" night and they only have one of those. So if Cruisegram can go back and look at their dailys from last week they will see on Thursday it was not a dress up or not night. The pursur and any staff I asked told me their was only one night and that was Sunday night.

CG

Hi CG,

Sounds like you had a great time. It was fun reading your comments.

You mention new MDR menus - does that mean they are beginning to roll out the Dawn's "test"?

Also you talk about some of the spec. restaurant menus changing. The only one I'm aware of is Chef Eric Cousins & the new menu at Le Bistro currently being "tested" on the Gem (we liked it, BTW). What others are changing? Any details?

We just got off the Gem one nighter. No other spec. menu changes I could really note other than the smoked chicken spring rolls or whatever they were called on the Tex-Mex menu seem to be gone. Rest of the menu seemed the same. Cagney's seemed to be the same as well (but I could have missed something).

I think we figured out the free cap/espresso disappearing. The menu says something about now exclusively serving Lavazza cap/espresso (for applicable fee). Guess that with NCL's tie up with Lavazza they need to generate some more revenue.

Just to add to the fire here, we were surprised to walk into our cabin (not balcony) and find the little coffee maker. Never did figure that out.

Just back to from same week. NO omlet/fried egg stations but they did set out the eggs benedict. I asked and as told the egg suppler didn't show this week. That's either a nice way to say they have cut back the omlet station at the buffet and will no longer offer it. I was told by upper brass about the egg shorter this week but can get the omlet and fried eggs in the main DR each day. Maybe next week we can hear if the omlet stations are back or not.

As to formal nights there is only one official "dress up or not night" being offered. I know the NCL website under the FAQ says there are 2 on a 7 day cruise but I questioned why the "dress up or not night" was not noted on the 2nd supposedly formal night in the upper right hand corner of the Daily. The answer I got was they have had only one night for a long time and the 2nd night is only "optional" like any other night of the week. Which means the ship only recognises one official formal type night and the rest you can dress as you please. Some dress up every night and others dress up no nights. That's what freestyle is all about is it not? But no there is only one formal night but I darn not use the "F" word on the NCL ships. It is now called officially a "Dress Up or NOT" night and they only have one of those. So if Cruisegram can go back and look at their dailys from last week they will see on Thursday it was not a dress up or not night. The pursur and any staff I asked told me their was only one night and that was Sunday night.

ok, shortage of eggs could explain the whole thing. I have seen similar things happen on ships that result in cut backs or running out of certain things.

Nita

Hi CG' date='

Sounds like you had a great time. It was fun reading your comments.

We did. It was a great trip!

You mention new MDR menus - does that mean they are beginning to roll out the Dawn's "test"?

I'm sorry to say that I don't know. Here's the thing. We ate at the buffet one night, and specialty restaurants 3 nights. So that only left 3 nights for the MDR. We ate one night at Summer Palace and wanted to try Indigo so ate there the 2nd time we used the MDR. We had good food in Indigo but didn't like the atmosphere as much as Summer Palace so our final meal in the MDR we just went to Summer Palace. So, I never actually compared the two MDR's. So I have no clue if both menu's were the same or if they were different each night.

Also you talk about some of the spec. restaurant menus changing. The only one I'm aware of is Chef Eric Cousins & the new menu at Le Bistro currently being "tested" on the Gem (we liked it, BTW). What others are changing? Any details?

Eric Cousins is the one that we spoke to. He boarded the ship in St Thomas on Wednesday and was on the rest of the week to get the menu changed over in LeBistro. We loved the new menu too! In the main dining rooms, the waiters said we were lucky in that we were the first week of the "new" menu's. That very well could be the Dawn menu's that they are now putting on all ships or it could be something different. As I said, I never checked to see if the menu's in each MDR were different.

CG

CruisnGram:

Couple of questions:

Did you drop your carry on luggage in the library while awaiting your cabin to be ready?

What time were your cabins ready?

Which MDR was open for embarkation lunch?

What time did you get to the pier and then get on the ship?

Thanks and glad you had a great time on the Pearl, less than two weeks and we will board her.

We got there at 11:30 and were sitting down eating in the buffet at 12:30. You can drop off you luggage in that room on deck 12 near library. We just carried ours around. Room ready by 1:30 for our mini suite areas but other rooms could take longer so that's why the 2PM deal. No harm in checking it out after 1:30 to see if ready.

The Summer Palace was open for lunch first day. The menus are the same in both DRs. We like Summer P. because it's bigger, more beautiful to look at and the seats much more comfortable then Indigo but Summer is more noisy for some reason. The new menu was our week. It seemed to be more of the everyday side stuff and less of the daily specials is what I saw in it every night. That's good in a way as the everyday items were really good so you could fall back on that if you didn't like the specials. Did not like they took off the escargo, the filet and the creme brule.

We got there at 11:30 and were sitting down eating in the buffet at 12:30. You can drop off you luggage in that room on deck 12 near library. We just carried ours around. Room ready by 1:30 for our mini suite areas but other rooms could take longer so that's why the 2PM deal. No harm in checking it out after 1:30 to see if ready.

The Summer Palace was open for lunch first day. The menus are the same in both DRs. We like Summer P. because it's bigger, more beautiful to look at and the seats much more comfortable then Indigo but Summer is more noisy for some reason. The new menu was our week. It seemed to be more of the everyday side stuff and less of the daily specials is what I saw in it every night. That's good in a way as the everyday items were really good so you could fall back on that if you didn't like the specials. Did not like they took off the escargo, the filet and the creme brule.

Thanks F5 we are also in a mini suite so hopefully it will be 1:30 for us too. If that early it is not even worth checking the carry on into the deck 12 room.

Which of the two MDR's was the jeans allowed for dinner? We dress up for dinner and always found the jeans MDR had slower and worse service than the dressier one.

Thanks again

Thanks F5 we are also in a mini suite so hopefully it will be 1:30 for us too. If that early it is not even worth checking the carry on into the deck 12 room.

Which of the two MDR's was the jeans allowed for dinner? We dress up for dinner and always found the jeans MDR had slower and worse service than the dressier one.

Thanks again

I know I'm being cynical, but I'd be surprised if they have a "no jeans" dining room any longer.

CruisnGram:

Couple of questions:

Did you drop your carry on luggage in the library while awaiting your cabin to be ready?

Actually we didn't carry on any. We checked it all when we got to the pier except a couple small items which we kept with us

What time were your cabins ready?

About 1:30 (mini-suite)

Which MDR was open for embarkation lunch?

Summer Palace

What time did you get to the pier and then get on the ship?

We arrived around 11:30 and were on board by noon

Thanks and glad you had a great time on the Pearl, less than two weeks and we will board her.

You will have a wonderful time! She's a beautiful ship with a great crew!

CG

Thanks again

Indigo is the no jeans dining room. That actually surprises me as Summer Palace is so much more elegantly decorated. Indigo is the smaller one though and I suppose less people like to dress up.

CG

I know I'm being cynical, but I'd be surprised if they have a "no jeans" dining room any longer.

Indigo is the no jeans dining room. That actually surprises me as Summer Palace is so much more elegantly decorated. Indigo is the smaller one though and I suppose less people like to dress up.

CG

So my cynicism was unwarranted.;)

CG

Thanks CG I suspected it would be the smaller MDR of the two. The few times I went on the Majesty it was the same way.

Archived