Holding US Airways Tickets?

Kallen

Forewarned is forearmed. We purchased non-refundable US Airways tickets for our February flight to Fort Lauderdale way back in the summer before all the bankrupcy problems arose. Once word hit the newspapers about the financial trouble the airline was in, we started having nightmares. We kept our fingers crossed that the airline didn't fold before we return in mid-March. Two weeks ago, I received an automated message that our return flight had changed due to scheduling changes. I checked and, lo and behold, we were still scheduled to leave Fort Lauderdale at 9 a.m. (unchanged) but we now had a 10 hour layover in Philadelphia and wouldn't be home until midnight. My husband called and told them that this wouldn't work. At some point in the conversation, he asked if we could just cancel and get our money back. To our surprise, the agent said that since the change was due to their schedule and not our request, yes. Needless to say, we took it and booked direct, non-stop flights that same day with another carrier, albeit for a bit more money. So, the bottom line is that if they change the schedule on you, you may be able to get a full refund. :)

Kerry

Kerry - you made a very smart move! You will probably sleep better also :)

Most airlines will refund your money if they drastically change the airline schedule. I have done this several times on several airlines.

Coral, to say we're sleeping better is understatement! Almost every day my husband would find another article on the web or in the newspaper about the imminent demise of US Airways, so he's sleeping much better now, LOL.

Kerry

We purchased USAir tix last June from Tampa to SFO in May. I was sweating it out too. They made 2 schedule changes which were not bad-we go a day earlier (which is a wise move anyway). Just this past week, the government gave them an extention until June 1st and our return flight is on May 29th so we are in good shape. The rate we got was 190.00pp and was just too good to give up.

On the other hand, I work in the travel field and AAA, Travelocity and Disney have stopped selling USAir. I feel this isn't going to help the carrier to stay in business. It's a viscious circle! Delta, United and ATA are also in trouble. I just don't believe that these major carriers are all going to go under.

Donna - I did read that there was a reprieve this week for US Airways. Hopefully that will help.

I now mostly fly United Airlines (used to fly AA until they pulled out of our area) and I never imagined that they could go under and now I am worried about them. They seem to be the next in line.

We are very long time USAirways users - lots of miles. Even with direct West coast flights, the latest news on funds through June, etc., - we now book other carriers ( even with a hated connection) to have a better & safer chance for us & luggage to arrive where we want & when. IMO - it's sad but - it looks like they are in deep trouble that they all created. SeaFish

Archived