Celebrity Infinity South America

hoenichj

We are just back today from our wonderful cruise. We had a great time!

Some feedback: If you have never been on a millenium class ship. I can give you some pointers as well. All along the way there is magnificent scenery and chances to see wildlife - we even saw a whale - must have been a straggler!

Buenos Aires:

We loved Buenos Aires and did a great walking tour for about 8 hours with Jessica of Buenos tours ( BuenosTours.com), we explored on our own the other days, did not get to the tigre delta, but heard that it was lovely. Great tango show, Piazzola Tango, also through Alan at BuenosTours- professional, great music, dancing - and mediocre food, but an experience none the less -we loved it.

We took pesos for incidentals like cabs, out of an ATM, because the hotel would not change USD - not allowed apparently,and that seemed to work. We had arranged and prepaid for private transfers and that was very helpful and convenient. We stayed at the Hilton in the Puerto Madero District, a modern and safe area that we liked, and ate at "Happening" there, which was very good. There are great restaurants everywhere and I am sure that your guide will steer you well. We went to an excellent art gallery in the area, if you are into art - Fortabat Art Collection.

Iguassu was magnificent - we took the same flights as you did and it was enough time- it is very hot and humid and there are many mosquitos - so bring bug spray. We did the tour that we arranged in the hotel - I think that it was called the jungle tour - great - we got absolutely soaked and were happy that we wore our bathing suits. It included a truck ride through the rain forest that was interesting as well. We had a private guided tour of the falls the next day which included Devils throat and all the other falls. It was unnecessary to have a guide, but he gave us good information and kept us going when it was so hot that we probably would have turned back if we had not been with him. Some people that we met, who also were on the cruise, arranged a private full day tour ( they were leaving early on the LAN flight the next morning and had only the one day) with the tour desk at the Sheraton in Iguassu, and did it in advance by phone. The butterflies were unbelieveable!!!

Our tour with Marta Martez ( marta ***** <msmtaiz@hotmail.com>)in Montevideo was excellent - she is very pleasant, friendly, knowlegable and experienced, and has an excellent driver. The vineyard was lovely.

The ship did not get into Punta del Este - rough seas.

Puerto Madryn:

We took a ship tour to see penninsula Valdez - long drive on a gravel road, but not a problem and an interesting site. Some people did the ship's Estancia tour and saw penguins, elephant seals and sea lions as well as having a huge, apparently delicious BBQ lunch - they loved it, and consequently cancelled the Magdallen Island tour in Punta Arenas.

Cape Horn - magnificent, sunny calm weather - we were very lucky. Really interesting and exciting.

We also did the ship's tour in Ushuaia of the Beagle channel and Terra del Fuego - the catamaran ride was great (very comfortable) and the park interesting, but the weather did not cooperate, so it was muddy ( unless you had waterproof shoes/boots, you were in trouble) and we did not get out of the bus at some stops. It was overcast so that we were limited in what we saw, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

Punta Arenas: we did the Magdallen Island ferry and penquins: very interesting, but the ferry boat ride is 2 hours each way and you spend about 1 hour seeing the penguins: the island is the most windy place we have ever been - you could lie on the wind and had to be careful as you walked to the lighthouse lest you be blown over - bring warm clothes and dress in layers ( i wore a t-shirt, turtleneck, merino wool pullover, cashmere sweater, fleece jacket and a shell and long underwear too) and was just right, and a hat and gloves. The sand blows everywhere and my camera didn't close for 2 days afterwards. The penguins are everywhere and very cute, and the elements are something to see - it is incredible. The buses everywhere were great - this ferry was fairly primitive and had the water been rougher, it could have been a problem.

Puerto Montt: GV tours was somewhat disappointing: they had booked a lot of people: some had good guides, but ours, Luis, was very nice and well meaning, but he really did not give us much background information, or much information of any kind. The scenery was fabulous though and made up for it. Other people said that their guides were wonderful: many passengers who took the ship's tours also complained that their guides were bad and a couple at our table got a 30% rebate from Celebrity - I guess that not many people speak good English in Puerto Montt, so getting good guides is hit and miss - from GV there was a young female student studying English who was said to be excellent, and a male law student as well.

After a bit of a rocky start (late pick-up, ?probably because of port congestion and the election), we had a great tour of Valparaiso, Vina del Mar and Santiago from Amilcar Ruiz,of Southexcursions (Info SE <info@southexcursions.com>)- 10 hours, a through, informative, enthusiastic and excellent guide and arrived at the airport on time at 7:30.

There is a cost to entering Argentina, payable in pesos or USD, but not for Chile.

If you have questions feel free to ask.

We are doing this same trip, the opposite direction in January '11 so really appreciate all your helpful info! Sounds terrific. Also sounds like you have extremes of hot and cold?? And bugs love me so good to know about the bug spray!! LuAnn

We are leaving on the Infinity in 11 days! yeah!

Questions-

Any seasickness? I am a bit concerned about the rough seas , especially since I ´ll be with our 3 kids.

How long were you in Buenos Aires? Was the line to pay the new reciprocity fee long?

How cold was is it in Ushuaia?

Do you know if there will be any crew changes when heading to Antactica ( our itinerary)?

What was you favorite meal on the ship? And show?

Thanks!!

Kim

Questions-

Any seasickness? I am a bit concerned about the rough seas , especially since I ´ll be with our 3 kids.

I don't get seasick but we were lucky around Cape Horn and the day after Ushuaia was rough - the Pacific is unpredictable.

How long were you in Buenos Aires? 3 nights

Was the line to pay the new reciprocity fee long? Everyone on board from USA, Australia and Canada had to pay.

How cold was is it in Ushuaia? Very - bring layers and long underwear - Punta Arenas was windier and thus felt colder.

Do you know if there will be any crew changes when heading to Antactica ( our itinerary)? probably.

What was you favorite meal on the ship? And show? I don't eat meat or shell fish so I'm not a good person to ask - people loved the lamb. The celebrity dancers and singers are terrific.

Judy

Thanks!!

Kim

Questions-

I don't get seasick but we were lucky around Cape Horn and the day after Ushuaia was rough - the Pacific is unpredictable.

How long were you in Buenos Aires? 3 nights

Was the line to pay the new reciprocity fee long? Everyone on board from USA, Australia and Canada had to pay.

How cold was is it in Ushuaia? Very - bring layers and long underwear - Punta Arenas was windier and thus felt colder.

Do you know if there will be any crew changes when heading to Antactica ( our itinerary)? probably.

What was you favorite meal on the ship? And show? I don't eat meat or shell fish so I'm not a good person to ask - people loved the lamb. The celebrity dancers and singers are terrific.

Have fun.

Judy

• 3 weeks later...

we were thinking of this for Dec 2011/ Jan 2012, but right off the bat it seems like alot of planning hassles-- our plan would be to fly on our own from JFK to BA for a few days pre-cruise, then take the ship from BA to Chile & a ship's excursions in Chile & then home to JFK

Seemes we would need to make two trips into NYC just to get the Visa (fees for that)--or using a company to do it ( extra costs?) & you must give up your orig passport for several days...

the airfare non-stop one way from JFK (10 3/4 hrs) seems really high???

Do most use cruise company air since it is not a RT situation??

could someone pls share how they planned with regard to getting their Visa & a reasonable airfare ... We want to see BA, the penguins & other ports--but maybe not so much!!!!

we were thinking of this for Dec 2011/ Jan 2012, but right off the bat it seems like alot of planning hassles-- our plan would be to fly on our own from JFK to BA for a few days pre-cruise, then take the ship from BA to Chile & a ship's excursions in Chile & then home to JFK

Seemes we would need to make two trips into NYC just to get the Visa (fees for that)--or using a company to do it ( extra costs?) & you must give up your orig passport for several days...

the airfare non-stop one way from JFK (10 3/4 hrs) seems really high???

Do most use cruise company air since it is not a RT situation??

could someone pls share how they planned with regard to getting their Visa & a reasonable airfare ... We want to see BA, the penguins & other ports--but maybe not so much!!!!

Did you check Celebrity's new Choice Air? It's different and more reasonable than their regular air.

We will check the Choice Air option--thanks or the reminder!

In additon, I may have clinked on a wrong link to get Visa Info ---It was Brazil that requires two trips into NYC for us to get a Visa but looks like Argentina does not require a Visa for up to a 90 day stay---is that correct?

We are not planning to go to the falls in Brazil... What is the cost to enter Argentina? Is it n the airfare or do you pay sep upon entereing?

what about the other countries where the ship stops like Uraguay?..If we take ship's exciursions are any special papaers needed??

Any hotel recs. for BA?

We will check the Choice Air option--thanks or the reminder!

In additon, I may have clinked on a wrong link to get Visa Info ---It was Brazil that requires two trips into NYC for us to get a Visa but looks like Argentina does not require a Visa for up to a 90 day stay---is that correct?

We are not planning to go to the falls in Brazil... What is the cost to enter Argentina? Is it n the airfare or do you pay sep upon entereing?

what about the other countries where the ship stops like Uraguay?..If we take ship's exciursions are any special papaers needed??

Any hotel recs. for BA?

You do not need a visa for Argentina.

I don't remember a cost to enter Argentina. There was a cost on leaving Chile.

You don't need to take any papers with you, unless you feel more comfortable having a copy of your passport with you.

We stayed at the Hilton in Puerto Madero area of Buenos Aires, which had lots of good restaurants in the area.

You will love the cruise. It was one of the best cruises we've ever taken.

Lots to see and do in Buenos Aires.

Our Celebrity Cruises:

Meridian - 9/1995, Horizon - 11/1997, Galaxy - 10/1999, Galaxy – 9/2000, Zenith – 10/2001, Zenith – 11/2001, Summit – 5/2002, Century – 11/2002, Century – 8/2003, Century – 9/2003, Horizon – 10/2004, Mercury – 2/2005, Horizon – 9/2005, Mercury – 2/2006, Summit – 5/2007, Summit – 6/2007, Constellation – 1/2008, Infinity – 1/2009, Mercury – 11/2009

Thanks for the updated info--we will look into the hotel you suggested--we are planning on only two nights pre-cruise..seems on the first day the itin in our brochure shows the ship remaining in BA..????

• 9 months later...

Archived