The Jewel is a Jewel! Jan.10-17

WinnieinWA

Myself, DD and her DH cruised in an AB Suite, #11530,because of the extra bedroom which worked well for us.

The main bedroom and bathroom are beautiful and large. There is a bedroom area with flatscreen that has curtains that can be drawn. Lots and lots of storage space. Double sink with large counter, a regular tub with 2 windows and screens that can be pulled down, a large shower with numerous shower heads and a window with screen also and a separate toilet room. Really beautiful.

The second bedroom had a fold out couch that made into a queen size bed and a pull down bunk with ladder, a closet with a dresser with 3 drawers and 3 shelves. The fold down bed was very comfortable as was the bedding.The bathroom in this room has a shower, sink and toilet. There was plenty of storage room for me.

The living area had a sofa, 2 side chairs, a coffee table with fresh flowers, a large flatscreen and DVD player, a dining table with 4 chairs and a fruit bowl that was kept replenished, a wall unit with a cupboard full of glasses and wine opener, a cappuccino maker with all the fixins' for coffee and tea, a fridge that was stocked but left plenty of room for our things. The balcony is off the main room and had 2 nice padded lounge chairs, an end table and an ottoman.

Our Steward was Rizalde Almario who did an excellent job of keeping our cabin very clean and well stocked. Our Butler was Rogin Corcega who took very good care of us and our Concierge was Carlos who also took very good care of us. They were all very good at what they did and I hope to cruise with them again.

Our CC meet was very nice and we had about 80 members. Great job Viper and Waterboy! The heads of most departments were there (about 8 of them) and most gave out their phone numbers to us. John O'Hara is Hotel Director and he's a real Jewel!

The entertainment was top notch. The CD was Que who was fantastic. The Stardust theatre had the following shows: Band on the Run, Chantz Powell, Jean Ann Ryan Productions Country Gold and Cirque Bijolea (sp), The Cats Pajamas, International Crew Show and Tim Kaminski which should not be missed...he's the best comic I've seen in years!!

There was so much entertainment going on that we, regretably, had to miss some of it. There was the usual Newleywed game, Quest, Deck Party and White Hot Party.

The ship was wonderful! I loved the jewel colors which made if fun. I have never been on a cleaner ship! I was really amazed at the cleanliness of all the public rooms I was in and the bathrooms looked like they were cleaned every few minutes. There are hand sanitizers all over the ship and it is clear that they mean to keep a healthy ship and I appreciate that.

The staff and crew couldn't have been better. The service was top notch in every area I was in. When I get on an NCL ship there's a feeling or vibe I get when I board that is unlike any other line I've been on and that feeling is HAPPY. The crew is genuinly happy. The Jewel crew all went out of their way to see to it that this was the best cruise I've ever been on and they certainly succeeded. The Hotel Director, John O'Hara was fabulous and I feel I went away leaving a good friend. Thank you, John, for a wonderful time!

The food was terrific. I know food is subjective but I didn't have a bad meal and I ate in all of the included restaurants, Cagneys for some breakfasts and lunches (a suite perk) and Teppenyaki. We enjoyed the food very much.

I've been on 6 other NCL cruises and have enjoyed them all but the Jewel is the finest ship I've been on.

I can not scan the Freestyle Dailies and I am missing one but I'll be happy to answer any questions.

I have submitted a formal review and hope it will be out in a few days. I went into great detail in it but if you have questions before it appears I'll be glad to answer questions.

How was your weather overall? We were diembarking as you were getting on. Brrrrrr it was 30 degrees F in Miami that day. :eek:

Miami was cold and the first sea day was cool but the remainder was very pleasant but not the HOT that you would expect but then this is not a typical winter down there. :eek:

We were in an AB suite the week before and you described the suite excellently! We too had an unbeleivable time and absolutely loved our suite, the food, the service--everything (except the weather) was PERFECT! Glad you had such a great cruise. :D

Winnie, I am glad you had such a great time onboard. Wow, some of the entertainers you mentioned I have seen on other ships...Tim Kaminiski, Chantz Powell (if he was the tap dancer/hip hopper singer/musician), and the Cats Pajamas...makes me want to switch ships.

coka

Enjoyed reading your post. My DH and I will be on the Jewel in Sept for the Canada cruise, and can't wait. After reading what you wrote, I am really excited. I hope do a cruise with my DH, DD and SIL in the future and hope we can share an AB suite to ensure we will all get the suite perks. Will the smaller bedroom be okay for 2 people?

What a wonderful review. I so look forward to reading the experiences of those who have traveled ahead of me. Our cruise is in a few days and I can hardly wait. I always enjoy reading the positive reviews. Thank you for sharing.

Enjoyed reading your post. My DH and I will be on the Jewel in Sept for the Canada cruise' date=' and can't wait. After reading what you wrote, I am really excited. I hope do a cruise with my DH, DD and SIL in the future and hope we can share an AB suite to ensure we will all get the suite perks. Will the smaller bedroom be okay for 2 people?[/quote']

Yes, the small bedroom will sleep 2 adults but you would need to share the main bedroom closet and storage space. The bathroom is small but quite adequate. You'll love it!!:)

Winnie-

Thanks for letting me get nostalgic. Your review brought back good memories on the Jewel.

Coka-

That sounds like Chantz. He's like a modern day Sammy Davis, Jr. So talented. We had the pleasure of meeting him getting on the ship in Rome. He and his mother are fine people.

Great review!

It's been a few yrs since I was on the Jewel - good to know she's still in great condition and has a happy effective crew.

What's up next? Did you buy a cruise reward?

Any special meals stand out for you?

I bought a Cruise Reward for my DD and her DH. They were thrilled with the cruise and can't wait to cruise again. Chalk up one more of my 4 adult kids who can't wait to go again!!!! NCL is batting a thousand with my adult kids! They all have Cruise Rewards after I took them on their cruises! I should get a commission. ;)

I can honestly say that I enjoyed every meal but MY favorite was the rack of lamb served on the second dress up or not night. The Prime Rib was good also. I really enjoyd the vegetarian curry in the buffet and my favorite thing about the buffet are the pretzel rolls. My DD absolutely LOVED the Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict in the MDR so we ate there as much as possible for breakfast. We had the suite perks of having breakfast and lunch in Cagney's and everything was wonderful!

Winnie' date=' did you take any excursions while cruising on the Jewel? I'm booked on the Jewel in a month and can't decide what to do in Belize and Roatan. Any suggestions?

TIA

deb[/quote']

I only took the Mayan Ruin excursion in Costa Maya and I highly recommend it. The kids did a hike in Roatan because their original snorkel/kayak was canceled due to rough water. They said they enjoyed it very much. They did a zip line/cave tubing in Belize and said they had a blast. I booked these through NCL because I love the peace of mind it gives me. Happy cruising. You'll love the Jewel!:)

did you have to wear your life preservers to the muster drill. Some ships are not requiring to even bring them now (Carnival and I think Royal) so I was wondering if NCL had changed their policy too

We were required to bring them to the drill and put them on once there.

We were required to bring them to the drill and put them on once there.

Darn...That means we have to go back to cabin after drill and my poor partner who is rather well endowed can't see over hers once she puts it on

Good grief. :rolleyes:

Anyone want any answers to any real questions?

Did they have the omelet stations in the buffet? Someone posting live from the Pearl said that ship no longer had them. Did you tender in Roatan or dock? (You may have said but I missed it)

Winnie - Sounds like you had a fantastic time like I did! My review is more like a book! John is a great guy and yes leaving the ship the first week and heading over to the Sky really made it feel like I was leaving behind a lot of friends onboard. The crew onboard the Jewel was FANTASTIC! While I can't say the same for the Sky cruise, the Jewel and the Spirit are two of my best cruises of all time (now that I have 17 cruises under my belt). :)

Nice review!

is a single burner back on 12.6-13, but very entertaining man cooking. There is always a jerk in the line but we made sure he didn't bug the nice guy cooking. Then the jerk left & we applauded his walk. we were told "Thank you".

Did they have the omelet stations in the buffet? Someone posting live from the Pearl said that ship no longer had them. Did you tender in Roatan or dock? (You may have said but I missed it)

I really enjoyed your detailed review. My family will be sailing on the Jewel next month and I believe we are staying the same class of rooms as you did. I have a few specific questions concerning the type of room and benefits offered. If possible, could you contact me at tstowe at collinscom dot net? Thanks.

Ted

Thanks so much for the review. My last trip on the Norwegian Jewel wasn't so good, so, I am glad to hear the crew was great and that the ship was clean, the weaknesses on my trip. It is good to hear too that the shows are as professional as they were when I was aboard and the the Cruise Critic meeting was well-attended by the officers. NCL usually does a great job in welcoming our members aboard. I am glad that the temperatures warmed up when you got away from Florida.

Winnie,

Thanks for the great review......we are staying in that same cabin on the March 21st sailing and can hardly wait. Your time on the Jewel sounds picture perfect, I can only hope we enjoy as much as you did. We booked the bigger suite as we will have our 15 year old daughter with us and thought she would like a bit of room of her own. In the past she has been on pull outs in the main room and just doesn't give her much private space.

One question for you......You mentioned that the fridge was stocked but had room for other things. Can you fill me in on what it was stocked with? Thanks for your time.

Chris

Archived