Help, Need advice about shore excursions in Samana

funredhead

Just keep in mind that the DR is poor, and much less developed for tourists than some other places in the Caribbean. If you're adventuresome and in good physical shape, I'd consider the horseback ride to El Limon. Just be aware that it is not a simple, easy, straight ride. The path is rocky, sometimes steep, and you cross a very large stream - all with a young guide walking or running behind your horse. Not all that relaxing, and a bit dangerous - especially in rain. But the waterfall, and the whole experience, is awesome. I did the ship's excursion -

Thank you so much for your help. We are travelling in a somewhat bigger group of 9 including 2 children 7/5. So, I think the waterfalls are out, although I would love to do this on horseback. (ah well, hopefully we'll love Samana and want to return on another trip when the kids are older). Right now, we are leaning toward the Cayo excursion offered by NCL. Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated.

As a parent just returning from Samana, I vote for Cayo. We did Playa Rincon, which was ok. But if I am ever back, I would pay the big $$$ and go to Cayo with NCL.

Thanks so much. It is a rather expensive excursion, when you consider its just transportation to the beach (and most of the other cruise lines will tender you to the beach for free). I guess from what you learned from your trip it was worth it. I'll take that into consideration.

The cost of Cayo was the reason we did not do it. We brought a well behaved 13 month old to Rincon; an hour drive and then a boat ride. No way would I do that to older kids. There is talk of another beach (Playa Anadel) in Samana, but I have no personal experience with it.

We took the tour with Terry and had a great time. The path is a work out but so worth it. My guide was a gentlemen about 40 and in great shape. We didn't cross a large stream. Terry uses a ranch that is actually in the park so maybe that is why we didn't see a stream. It is a very poor country but a beautiful one. The people are friendly and if you speak any spanish the kids will love you. I guess we are still new to them. We walked from port into town and had no problems or worries. We were taught how they make chocolate from the beans and their local alcohol drink(to strong for me). The lunch Terry provided was awesome.Try the coffee.Mmmmm. He carried bottled water at all times for us to enjoy. I would go back to Samana again and do the tour again.

• 2 years later...

Nowadays you will find almost all Tour Operators have their own Websites were they list all Shore Excursions & Tours they offer as well as the prices, details of tours and schedule.

There is about 10 different Shore Excursions that can be bought directly online and save big bucks compared the Cruise Line high prices ( usually 30 to 50% more expensive ! )

Almost all tour Operators have a presence in the Tourism Website of the Town of Samana.

http://gosamana-dominicanrepublic.com

Steve

Tour Guide in Samana Peninsula

Hi Funredhead,

We're a group of 5 including our 5 year old grandson and interested in doing a boat ride across the bay to Los Haitses with Tours w/ Terry.

I'm hoping that we might see whales in the bay on the way there and the caves and mangroves will be very interesting (for kids as well as adults... hopefully)

I see you have a couple of kids with your group so maybe the kids will keep each other entertained as well.

We've been quoted $440 for our group but less per person if the group is larger.

Archived