Baltic Port Locations

Gary72

We will be taking the Star Princess Baltic cruise (the one that stops in Danzig) and am curious as to the location of the ports vis a vis the city sights. Any idea where this can be found. Also, any way of finding out if Princess has "transfers" to the center city when the ship docks away from the center. Thank you in advance...

Several Baltic cities have more than one port where cruise ships can dock. Here is the information for Stockholm:

There are four main places where cruise ships dock in Stockholm. They are Stadsgården, Frihamnen, Värtahamnen and Skeppsbron. Be aware that the same ship does not always dock in the same place. And that, even if you know where your ship is scheduled to dock, it is not unusual that there are changes, even at last minute.

Stadsgården is right in the centre of Stockholm in an area named Södermalm (the South). For those who like to walk Gamla Stan (the Old Town) well within walking distance, could take 20-30 minutes. Or there are several buses that stop not far from where the ship docks, and goes to Slussen (the area at the south end of Gamla Stan). From Stadsgården it is also possible to board the HoHo bus or the HoHo boat.

Frihamnen and Värtahamnen are both in a port area with little of interest nearby. But it is not far from the city centre. A taxi there will take ca 15 minutes. From these two ports it is possible to take bus number 76 to Djurgårdsbron. From there it is a short walk across a bridge and to the Vasa museum. Skansen outdoor museum is also in the same area. From Djurgårdsbron bus 76 continues to Gamla Stan too. Bus 76 is very convenient for all docked at Frihamnen and Värtahamnen, both to get to Gamla Stan and the museum area at Djurgården, and to get back to the ship. But there is one problem; it does not run on Sundays. The HoHo bus makes stops at Frihamnen and Värtahamnen too, but not the HoHo boat.

Skeppsbron is the quay of Gamla Stan (the Old Town). You can’t be more at the centre of town than here. It is only a few steps away from the Royal Palace. But only small ships can dock at Skeppsbron, I have seen Seabourn dock there.

Sometimes cruise ships don’t dock in Stockholm, but in Nynäshamn, a small city an hour’s journey south of Stockholm. Nynäshamn is a port where you will have to tender. From there it is possible to take a train to the Stockholm Central Station. Or the ship’s transport. So far this year I have seen that Norwegian Sun is booked for Nynäshamn.

Right now it is too early find out where your ship will be docking but here is a link that can be used later: http://www.stoports.com/. On the left side, click on “Our Ports” and then choose Stockholm or Nynäshamn. Click “Vessel calls”. Then, when you get to the list of ships, at the top of the page where it says “Andra ankommande fartyg” choose “Expected cruise vessels” and press view. This will get you the right list of ships. When searching for your cruise, be aware that dates in Sweden are given as YY/MM/DD. Remember that there may be changes, so it is always a good idea to take a last look just before leaving for the cruise.

And here is a link to my map where it is possible to see the location of the ports in relation to some of the most popular sights:http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&t=h&z=13

The two most frequently used cruise ports in Oslo are alongside Akershus Castle: Oslo Cruise Port Map. In the past that's where the Princess ships have usually docked. Once they're decided, the individual port assignments can be found on the port authority website in the spring.

For Oslo, we docked right next to the Fortress. Below is a picture of the ship being "right there". Very, very handy!!! It was super easy and also allows lots of nice photos of the key sights in Oslo to be taken from the deck of the ship. You will also see the view of their City Hall from the ship and what the inside of their municipal building looks like where they hold their famed Peace Prize ceremonies.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

The main, historic fortress where many cruise ships dock in Oslo:

1A-Oslo-Harbor-OldFortress.jpg

Oslo’s City Hall exterior and interior. The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded here annually:

1A-Oslo-CityHallExt.jpg

1A-Oslo-CityHallInterior.jpg

icon1.gif

Have you heard of the Baltic DVD that was prepared by the Cruise Director on the ship, John Lawrence?

I received my copy a few weeks ago and it is very comprehensive and will especially help those who haven't been to the Baltics before. It also has a lot of great ideas for the ports where you will not be taking guided tours.

It is slides - not movies - but very good pictures with descriptions.

The cost is $20 plus $5 shipping.

Go to

www.johnlawrencecd.com

for more info and to order if you want.

We will be taking the Star Princess Baltic cruise (the one that stops in Danzig) and am curious as to the location of the ports vis a vis the city sights. Any idea where this can be found. Also, any way of finding out if Princess has "transfers" to the center city when the ship docks away from the center. Thank you in advance...

I do not know your exact itinerary, so the Ports of call are hard to say.

If you dock in Copenhagen, you are basically in town, just a short walk to the Little Mermaid, and nice walk into the main part of town, or you can do the HoHo bus

St Petersburg--I believe most of the cruise ships dock at the new terminal, but it really doesn't make a difference as you cannot go off by yourself unless you have a Russian Visa. Most tour groups will meet the ship right at the dock.

Stockholm has already been discussed. We docked at Frihamnen and we had to take the HO Ho bus into town.

Tallin--Also, the ships dock not very far from the town. It is a fairly short walk into the old city.

we were on NCL and there were NO ship transfers into any of the towns. You either walked, took public transportation or did a ships tour.

Here are a few pix from some of the Baltic Ports

The Little Mermaid in Copenhagen Harbor

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster219-1.jpg

The Main entrance to the old city of Tallin

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster511.jpg

Gardens and Catherine's Palace

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster712.jpg

More from around St Petersburg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster866.jpg

Helsinki

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1122.jpg

And, our favorite port Stockholm, in Gamla Stan, the 'old city'

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1265.jpg

Where ever you dock, you will have a marvelous time

Len

• 2 weeks later...

anyone know how far is the Copehengan Port from the airport? how easy is it to get public transportation..taxi, private car, bus and etc...or would it be easier to take the ship transfer? I will be on the Star Princess. Also what is the average cost? Thanks

Archived