Don't count on football being shown on the muts or big screen

laemerald

I'm a woman who loves Football! I enjoyed seeing the NFL games on MUTS during our sea days in Nov on the Coral. I was surprised they showed college games on saturday. Plus they had a movie in the Princess Theatre during football time for those who wanted an alternative.

MUTS stands for "Movies under the Stars" No stars are visable when the sun is shining. ;)

I agree with the OP. If you advertised that you are showing the playoffs on MUTS in the Platter, you should show it. Plus the ship lost money that day because people buy those football helmut beer buckets during games. There are plenty of places on the Lido/Sun deck to sit in the sun or shade where you don't see or hear MUTS.

I found MUTS very annoying during the day on the Emerald in NOV 08 because the sound was so loud and the sun washed out the screen at some angles. Plus I've already seen 80% of the movies they show and then they are on the TV system the rest of cruise.

Oh Well like everything, you can't please everyone and you never will. :cool:

We were just on the Caribbean Princess for a 7 night cruise. Two nights were football, 2 nights were concerts, and the other 3 were movies. I don't think they should call it MOVIES under the stars if most of the nights they aren't showing movies.

I can kind of understand why they would show sports games, but the nights they showed concerts it was a complete waste. The only people I saw watching them were the bartenders that were stuck there with no customers and bored!

We were just on the Caribbean Princess for a 7 night cruise. Two nights were football, 2 nights were concerts, and the other 3 were movies. I don't think they should call it MOVIES under the stars if most of the nights they aren't showing movies.

Thanks, this is good to know! ;)

Well lucky for me that I am a Mets fan so I am not worried about missing the World Series. That being said, I am having heart failure over the Jets.

LMAO!! Miserable Mets fan here as well. I usually cruise out of Brooklyn every July on the Crown, Caribbean, etc.. By then the Mets season is usually over, but they show the MLB All STar Game. I have never gone to MUTS while it is on, and I don't know if they've shown it there, but I think it would be a big attraction. Churchill's Cigar Bar was packed 2 years ago, but empty this past summer.

We just got off the Gem 12/26-1/2. They had a lot of NFL games on. Most were advertised in one lounge, Bliss, but in fact they were shown in every lounge that had TV's, which was almost all. It was fun to watch NFL on a ship. They had the college bowl games on the big screen TV in the atrium. They also showed MNF on this. It was very well attended. If you want to go, go. If not, then don't. The other things they showed on the big screen were weird images of skydiving to weird music. I think most people, football fan or not, welcomed seeing something other than this.

Let's Go Mets in 2010!! I doubt it, but one can hope!!

PS- with no disrespect to the talented Tina Turner- Are they STILL showing that concert?!?!!? It has been on every cruise since I went on the Crown out of NYC in July, 2006!! Elton John as well. More recently U2 and Beyonce!! I'm sure there HAS to be some other concerts they can alternate with.

I have always said I was go watch a movie one night or even a concert but never have. I have seen them all in bits in pieces. This year I have a Lido deck cabin so I may make an extra effort to do so.

Well, our view is just the opposite. On our 15 days on the Coral in late Nov/early Decembe, it was not MUTS, it was FUTS (football under the stars), and it was constant. Way too much.

This was the way it was on our Ruby Christmas cruise. We also called it FUTS. :eek: Hated the constant football.

Perhaps Princess read the complaints from our cruise and decided to drop the ball so to speak. :D

PS- with no disrespect to the talented Tina Turner- Are they STILL showing that concert?!?!!? It has been on every cruise since I went on the Crown out of NYC in July, 2006!! Elton John as well. More recently U2 and Beyonce!! I'm sure there HAS to be some other concerts they can alternate with.

Yes, GAG!!

This was the way it was on our Ruby Christmas cruise. We also called it FUTS. :eek: Hated the constant football.

Perhaps Princess read the complaints from our cruise and decided to drop the ball so to speak. :D

We were also on the Ruby and also mentioned on our comment cards that we enjoyed seeing MOVIES at the MOVIES Under The Stars. I don't watch sports or concerts (or soap operas), but I can do something else if that's what's offered. But I understood that the experience was supposed to be like going to a drive in movie and they sure don't show sports on those. Does the ship have a sports bar with a big screen? (Guys at sports bars don't lay on chaises with a blanket, cookie & milk.)

I was not kidding. The Super Bowl will draw about 200 million viewers. The World Cup will draw about 2 billion.

You are so right. If they get enough non-US citizens on board, there will be a lot of soccer (=real football:p)to be seen.:D

So basically Princess needs to rename their big screen to something with a sports twist. I like to watch sports sometimes too but I thought it would be really cool to watch some sort of family movie with my kiddoes and popcorn while we were cruising. Sounds like I might be in the minority here though.

So basically Princess needs to rename their big screen to something with a sports twist. I like to watch sports sometimes too but I thought it would be really cool to watch some sort of family movie with my kiddoes and popcorn while we were cruising. Sounds like I might be in the minority here though.

Asil65, I don't think you will be the minority, but neither will the sports fans be one. I hope for everybody, that Princess will start showing some common sense and not be so one sided in their MUTS offerings. Peace.:)

We were also on the Ruby and also mentioned on our comment cards that we enjoyed seeing MOVIES at the MOVIES Under The Stars. I don't watch sports or concerts (or soap operas), but I can do something else if that's what's offered. But I understood that the experience was supposed to be like going to a drive in movie and they sure don't show sports on those. Does the ship have a sports bar with a big screen? (Guys at sports bars don't lay on chaises with a blanket, cookie & milk.)

Well at the risk of being rude I find it amusing that most of the responses against showing sports on the big screen would rather be reading a book, sleeping or eating lunch or dinner, so how does showing sports affect you since most of the ship is dedicated to these activities! For the people who want to watch movies or supposedly concerts that are constantly repeated over and over, well you have a majority of the days and nights on a cruise where there is movies on the screen or nothing on the screen.

Also for information there is no sports bar on the Ruby or many of the other Princess ships, there is a makeshift conference room! The fact is that repeated movies are being shown 80% of the time on any cruise or the ever popular movie of the waves and the scuba diving sea world. My original point was the spiteful CD and her non existent business sense. There was a clear majority on this cruise that wanted to see the games and in her wisdom she cost her employees and the company money and angered a lot of potential future Princess customers.

Well at the risk of being rude I find it amusing that most of the responses against showing sports on the big screen would rather be reading a book, sleeping or eating lunch or dinner, so how does showing sports affect you since most of the ship is dedicated to these activities! For the people who want to watch movies or supposedly concerts that are constantly repeated over and over, well you have a majority of the days and nights on a cruise where there is movies on the screen or nothing on the screen.

Also for information there is no sports bar on the Ruby or many of the other Princess ships, there is a makeshift conference room! The fact is that repeated movies are being shown 80% of the time on any cruise or the ever popular movie of the waves and the scuba diving sea world. My original point was the spiteful CD and her non existent business sense. There was a clear majority on this cruise that wanted to see the games and in her wisdom she cost her employees and the company money and angered a lot of potential future Princess customers.

I don't want to be argumentative here. I just feel like there's a lot of unnecessary criticism going on. I just checked the Patters for January 16. Nowhere in there was an NFL game mentioned. The line up at MUTS that day was 10:00 Night at the Museum; 2:00 My Life in Ruins; 6:30 Mystique of the Baltic; 7:00 and 10:30 State of Play. I also checked the times of the two NFL playoff games that day. There would have been no way to show the playoff game without either stopping midway through to stick with the pre-printed schedule or canceling the pre-printed schedule -- either of which may have caused a mutiny.

We had a CD down under on P&O who is now on the Diamond Princess and he always tried to make sure the main finals where shown. Mainly rugby but he did make the effort to find out what finals were being played and to show them if possible. It did depend on the channel and the coverage. Both were not always available.

While I like sports I would have no interest in only seeing sport on muts but I would watch a final. So maybe the answer is if it is a problem then nominate someone off the roll call to talk to the CD at the beginning of the cruise and establish what games are important. Maybe the CD has no interest/understanding of the sport and didn't see the relevance of the game. Unfortunately there will be lots of different sports and how do you say which is the most important. Is an NFL final more important than a Rugby World Cup final...depends where you come from.

DH and I were cruising on the Carnival Dream Jan 2 and tried to talk two friends who cruise with us frequently in going. They would not go because they missed a national college championship one year on Carnival and no longer trust the CD's. On their ship they had some soccer game on all the tv's and no amount of complaints could convince the CD to show the football game somewhere.

But, they missed a great FB cruise this year. Our Dream cruise was bowl week. Games all the time. Not a vacant space on the deck. People lining the walls. More people watching FUTS than any MUTS I've seen. We just came back from the Crown Princess and both the NFC and AFC games were on Saturday and Sunday. SRO!! We've seen cruises with "tail gate" parties serving hot dogs and hamburgers and selling beer by the buckets. Attendance is phenomenal.

If you don't want to watch the game, do something else. That's what DH and I do when there's movies on that we don't care to see. And once is enough with Tina. She's still on!

Archived