HELP. please - Boston Logan airport to pier transportation options

sable1

Greetings fellow cc cruisers,

Know how helpful you all have been in the past and am now counting on your help again.

We are sailing on July 16 from Boston, Black Falcon cruise terminal? I believe, and would like to know options for using public transportation such as the subway, shuttle service, water taxi. I haven't booked our flight yet so don't know which terminal we will arrive at.

I did look at the MBTA.com site, but wasn't sure if it would go to the cruise terminal. Have anyone of you done this option? Can you please give me specifics. We have done the bus trip from La Guardia to pier in NYC wi no problems. Thanks.

What about a service like Super Shuttle? Again details about cost, how to book, etc.

Lastly, in the event we aren't able to use the public transportation option, has anyone done the trip by taxi recently and how much was it?

Appreciate all information I can get. I'm counting on you.

Joanne, the chocoholic

There's no subway or other 'T' service to the port. The water shuttle (if it still is running then, they're cutting back some of those services) could bring you many places, none of them within walking distance, though.

The new Silver Line would get you closest, check out it's destinations on http://www.mbta.com

You can definitely get to South Station on public transportation from the airport, and then it's a 2 mile cab ride to Black Falcon with tons of cabs available. Some of the other Silver Line stops might be closer to the cruise terminal, but taxis might be less available on a weekend day.

Hope this helps!

Take a cab. Trying to haul your luggage around the "T" is impossible.... and there are steps involved. There are plenty of cabs available at both the airport and Black Falcon Cruise terminal.

I used to supervise cruise terminal employees.... they all drove their own vehicles.. or took a cab from South Station (train and bus).

If you arrive at Logan, the cheapest way to get into Boston and to south station is take the shuttle bus to the T, take the T (Blue line to Green line to Red line) to south station, then take a cab to the cruise terminal. There is a fair amount of hassle involved in doing that. Logan is in East Boston, the other side of the river. The easy way to do it, if a bit more expensive, is just take a cab from Logan.

Definitely a taxi. It's $6.50 to leave the airport in a taxi (tunnel fees, etc.) but the terminal is VERY close to the entrance of the Ted Williams Tunnel - the cab ride would only be about 10-15 minutes (depending, of course, on traffic) and probably cost you about $15.00 maximum. DEFINITELY worth it.

This hotel is located right near the pier:

http://www.seaportboston.com/seabos/Home/HomePage.asp

and make sure to have dinner across the street at either Jimmy's harbor side.. or the cheaper and non-fancy No Name restaurant!

The silver line runs to that area.. but I would probably take a cab if I had a lot of luggage.

Have a fun trip. Just be happy you aren't sailing out of here today. Man, it is cold!

• 4 months later...

No! you cannot sail! You MUST sail with us in March Joanne! C'mon, Hawaii beckons! How are you? Miss you! LOL

"Cher Amie" is now WTEVRFLTSURBT.

To answer your question, we are sailing on HAL's Maasdam, July 16. I posted here to get more response from my question rather just on the HAL board.

Thanks to all. We will taxi to the pier.

Joanne

The MBTA's "silver line" (really an elongated bus) service now serves the airport terminals and goes very near the pier. The cost is $1.25 pp. The buses are equipped to handle luggage and very convenient schedules are available. Before the silver line, it was a pain to take public transportation with all the switching between the shuttle and the various lines to make the necessary connections. It's relatively simple now, very convenient, and super cost efficient.

Wish I could go to Hawaii with you (and get your chocolates). Decided on Hawaii instead of Alaska? Which ship? I know you will enjoy it.

Smiles3usa--- Thanks for the Silverline info. We will use it on our return post-cruise. For precruise, we reserved hotel which includes comp. airport and pier shuttle.

Very excited. Wish our documents would arrive though.

Happy sailing,

Joanne, the chocoholic

Hi Hun! How are you? We will sail in March on the Island Princess for 15 glorious days out of Los Angeles:p Alaska must wait for next time around:o You really should sail Princess, if nothing else for the "Love Boat Dream" chocolate dessert! LOL Have a great time on your cruise! Where are you off to now? I just chatted with "Outahere" remember Nancy from our CC group? She and DH are doing the same cruise we are to Hawaii, only 3 months earlier. I am up for another cruise out of Galveston in July but don't know if I'll get it yet to the Caribbean. (Remember what I do for a living? lol) Did you ever pursue that? let me know.

You have my email, so keep me posted!

8_8_40.gif

How convenient for you to sail from L.A. We have sailed on Princess a couple of times and probably will again in the future if the price and itinerary are right. John really doesn't want to be repeating too many cruise destinations, so it's good that we found the Maasdam. It goes to Iceland, Greenland, Ireland, France, Norway. A couple of the towns we have been to before, but it's OK. Lasts for 35 days so you can imagine the chocolate I can enjoy!

I have been getting notices in my e-mail regarding our conversation, but haven't persued it further. Been busy planning this cruise.

Well, enjoy your summer and let me know how your cruise is.

Happy cruising,

Joanne, the chocolate

I am green with envy! Have a wonderful time!:D

How convenient for you to sail from L.A. We have sailed on Princess a couple of times and probably will again in the future if the price and itinerary are right. John really doesn't want to be repeating too many cruise destinations, so it's good that we found the Maasdam. It goes to Iceland, Greenland, Ireland, France, Norway. A couple of the towns we have been to before, but it's OK. Lasts for 35 days so you can imagine the chocolate I can enjoy!

I have been getting notices in my e-mail regarding our conversation, but haven't persued it further. Been busy planning this cruise.

Well, enjoy your summer and let me know how your cruise is.

Happy cruising,

Joanne, the chocolate

I suggest that you take a taxi. You will be amazed at how close the airport is to the cruise terminal. My 2 year old niece lives near the cruise terminal and the highlight of her day is watching the ships come in and out. Apparently genetics does carry, as her parents (my brother and sister-in-law) do not like cruising but the rest of our family does!

Have a great trip and know that when you are puling out of the harbor there is a two year old waving to you!!!

We just did this last week. The new SL1 line (Silver line $1.25pp) goes directly from Logan terminals to South Station. They have a luggage rack, wide aisles, and are low to the ground. We got off at the first stop after the tunnel which is Silver Line Way. We walked the 1/2 mile from there to Black Falcon (and yes we pulled our wheeled luggage). You could also wait for the SL3 (I think its another $1.25 - not sure if a transfer slip is available) at the Silver Line Way stop which will take you directly to Black Falcon St. and hence only a little walk to the terminal. Our flight came in at 9:00am and we knew we couldn't board until 11 at the earliest so we opted to walk. Besides we had to get a head start on exercising all the extra food off!

[i was just at this pier a week ago viewing another ship. For my money, I would take a taxi. The area is still undergoing considerable reconstruction(underground) and the T and luggage is not a pleasant thought for me. This is a very small port. Consider calling the pier itself and see what they suggest. If you are coming in early, you may want to check and see if the hotel offers a shuttle to the pier.

Joanne, the chocoholic

Archived