Is Malecon within walking distance to PV dock?

CruisinKiddo

The bus is under a dollar. I think the rate is up to 7.5 pesos. That is just over a half dollar US. Don't know about the taxi because I always take the blue and white bus. You need to go away from the ocean about two blocks to the street where all the buses use to go back to the pier. Get off at the stoplight just before Wal Mart.

Actually, the bus fare is still 6.5 Pesos (the increase to 7.5 never got the necessary government approvals). As to it being about a half dollar, while that is true there is no reason why a bus driver would need to accept that rate. The drivers want paid in Pesos. We have seen drivers accept $1 for the bus fare and perhaps they would accept that for 2 persons or they may say no. The current yellow taxi rates from outside the port into Centro (Malecon) is about 60 Pesos (70 Pesos to the Southside or Romantic Zone). Taxi drivers will usually accept US dollars, but you may pay quite a bit extra with the exchange rate you would get from a driver. If using dollars from the port (or to the port) you might want to ask the driver (before you get in the taxi) if he will accept $5 for the ride (this would be a good deal).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Actually, the bus fare is still 6.5 Pesos (the increase to 7.5 never got the necessary government approvals). As to it being about a half dollar, while that is true there is no reason why a bus driver would need to accept that rate. The drivers want paid in Pesos. We have seen drivers accept $1 for the bus fare and perhaps they would accept that for 2 persons or they may say no. The current yellow taxi rates from outside the port into Centro (Malecon) is about 60 Pesos (70 Pesos to the Southside or Romantic Zone). Taxi drivers will usually accept US dollars, but you may pay quite a bit extra with the exchange rate you would get from a driver. If using dollars from the port (or to the port) you might want to ask the driver (before you get in the taxi) if he will accept $5 for the ride (this would be a good deal).

Hank

I have used the bus many times, and they have always accepted the US dollar. They will give change in pesos, but I always give the pesos back to them as a tip. I have never had one decline to accept the US dollar.

Just curious if anyone knows what the rate is for taxi and bus rides to the pier from the Malecon? Also, I saw someone mention walking on the beach to get there on foot. Is there an actual beach or just shoreline?

Most of the area from the port to town is beach but there is some area that is not developed. Some hotels will not let you on their property unless you are a hotel guest. I don't think you can walk the beach the entire way in to town any longer. Even if you cant, there will be an area where you will have to cross a river which can be a nonevent or an adventure. We are always in PV in November which is just after rainy season with more flow in the rivers; it is probably no big deal this time of year.

I have used the bus many times, and they have always accepted the US dollar. They will give change in pesos, but I always give the pesos back to them as a tip. I have never had one decline to accept the US dollar.

Guess I could walk out our door and ask a few :). And we should mention that tipping bus drivers (or taxi drivers) is not a normal practice here although I am sure they would be appreciative of the gesture. We do tip taxi drivers if they do a little more then required (such as help us with grocery packages, luggage, etc.).

Hank

• 11 months later...
Guess I could walk out our door and ask a few :). And we should mention that tipping bus drivers (or taxi drivers) is not a normal practice here although I am sure they would be appreciative of the gesture. We do tip taxi drivers if they do a little more then required (such as help us with grocery packages, luggage, etc.).

Hank

Hello! Going to PV in April, and was wondering if the taxi and bus rates/policies have changed much since this post from last year? Still taking USD? Still at 6.5 pesos for the OW into town? We probably will take the bus south and a taxi back to the pier.

Eliana

Hello! Going to PV in April, and was wondering if the taxi and bus rates/policies have changed much since this post from last year? Still taking USD? Still at 6.5 pesos for the OW into town? We probably will take the bus south and a taxi back to the pier.

Eliana

No the price is now 7,50 Pesos per person per ride,

Ship back to the pier from old town will be around Pesos 100,- from the Malcon around Pesos 80,- Check the rate before boarding.

No the price is now 7,50 Pesos per person per ride,

Ship back to the pier from old town will be around Pesos 100,- from the Malcon around Pesos 80,- Check the rate before boarding.

Thank you, Ine, for this information! Cannot wait for our cruise! 58 more days...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We actually walked back to the ship from downtown but it was a long, hot walk. We just did it to see if we could. The bus was 7.5 pesos one way from the pier to downtown last month. We also took the bus round trip from south of the Rio Cuale to Boca de Tomatlan--8 pesos each way. This route passes by Mismaloya if you want to see a bit more of the area cheaply.