Help! Need Alaska Ship Recommendations

SheilaS

HI,

We are planning to do an Alaskan Cruise in 2006. I need your opinion on:

What is the best month to go?

What is the best ship?

What is the best itinirary?

Sheila<-----------will worry about stuff like excursions later:)

Month-Late May is good if you are on trying to be a little bit frugal with your money otherwise June is good, but more expensive. Late May and Early June historically is the driest ins SE Alaska, but a little chillier than July and August.

Line-I prefer Princess Ships and Service, I've been on 7 cruises on three different lines and I like Princess.

Itinerary-Inside Passage with Ketchikan or Sitka, Juneau, Skagway and Glacier Bay is a must see. Vancouver departures are nice. It's a nice city to visit pre or post cruise, but it can be a little inconvenient to get to. Seattle is also a nice city to and a little easier to get in and out of. My preference is Vancouver, because it is such a nice city.

Hope this helps.

HI,

We are planning to do an Alaskan Cruise in 2006. I need your opinion on:

What is the best month to go?

What is the best ship?

What is the best itinirary?

Sheila<-----------will worry about stuff like excursions later:)

Hi Shiela!

No matter when you go I am sure you will love Alaska - we do! A few considerations:

Best Month - We have been in May and in August. We had great weather both times on the cruise. May will be less expensive, especially the first sailing or two. The downside is that some excursions may not be operating and wildlife will certainly be less visable. If you want to see bears you will have to go later in the season.

Best Ship - Boy, this is a tough one. We prefer Celebrity and have taken both of our Alaska cruises with them. The Summit (and her sisters) are beautiful. Princess has its own lodges and offers a lot of options. The Coral Princess is also a great ship and we enjoyed our Panama Canal cruise. HAL also has a strong presence in Alaska and sails from Seattle and Vancouver. A lot of other lines sail Alaska, so I suggest a lot of homework and a really knowledgeable TA.

Best Itinerary - Another tough question. We have sailed the Inside Passage and the route between Vancouver and Seward. Both have advantages. If you take the "full length" cruise, try to take a few days in the interior either independently or on a cruisetour. It is magnificent and starts to give you a flavor of the diversity in Alaska. My preference is for itineraries that visit Glacier Bay vs. Hubbard Glacier. I think it is much more impressive. Not all cruise lines have permits, however, so if that is critical, select accordingly.

One last piece of advice. Do your homework (travel books, brochures, these and other boards, etc.), get a really knowledgeable TA, and enjoy Alaska!

As the jest here- look at several factors- then fit in the ship. Best is to consider- ports, time in ports, route, glacier, price. Princess does a great one way but my opinion only HAL is superior for one ways to/from Seward- just excellent touring port (but way too many people miss out and just pass through). For round trip HAL also shines again for route. Some Seattle sailings have way too much outside passage sailing for my preferences. All trips will be a compromise, make the best choice for you. I never pick a one way without adding at least another week for independent touring- it is that excellent to consider and take advantage of being all the way there. Budget fully for costly excursions- you get only half a trip without them. :)

Archived