Zaandam delayed departure today

DAllenTCY

I have heard now that the captain has decided to stay until 7pm. Southwest Airlines cancelled almost all flights in to San Diego today. Also, connecting flights from Los Angeles on either American Eagle or United Express were cancelled most of today. If you know someone who is trying to get to the ship, please let them know.

David

The weather is dreadful. I hope everyone trying to reach the ship by air is able to get to the dock in time.

I saw a news piece of what San Francisco Bay looked like today. The waves were unbelievable.

Hope when Zaandam sails she can get out of the nasty weather ASAP.

We have been in So Cal since last Friday. Today we drove down to San Diego from Newport Beach for our embarkation on the Maasdam tomorrow. The Zaandam was in port when we drove by the pier. We are staying at the Marriott Marina. The Zaandam left late.

I know that at least one of the people on the roll call had her flight cancelled today and hopes she will get in tomorrow.

I don't think I have ever seen rain this bad. Driving today was really a challange and I think DH deserves a lot of credit for doing a great job. We turned in the car at Hertz and decided that the weather was too bad to go looking for a restaurant and instead had a lovely dinner in the hotel.

Tomorrow should be easy. A short taxi cab ride to the pier.

Although I have not heard from my TA, others have posted that there is a delayed boarding and that we will be docked at the Navy Pier instead of the cruise ship terminal. It will be interesting to see what time the Maasdam comes in tomorrow and what time she sails.

Terri

I'm sitting back giggling...not that it's funny about what you're dealing with... but at how ironic it is that we deal with crappy rain like that a lot here and the news stations hardly blink an eye when it happens. It's just very unfortunate that it is happening in an area not used to it, and with desert type soil that does not absorb the water very well.

We actually have a sump pump in our crawl space under the house we get so much seepage under there every major rain we get. And we get a lot!!

I'm sitting back giggling...not that it's funny about what you're dealing with... but at how ironic it is that we deal with crappy rain like that a lot here and the news stations hardly blink an eye when it happens. It's just very unfortunate that it is happening in an area not used to it, and with desert type soil that does not absorb the water very well.

We actually have a sump pump in our crawl space under the house we get so much seepage under there every major rain we get. And we get a lot!!

It's not really very funny. Many people have had flights cancelled with the hope they will get to SD in time for sailing tomorrow.

There are three ships in port tomorrow and the airport should be a zoo. Southwest cancelled all flights in and out of SD today.

More pounding rain expected for tomorrow.

Terri

It's not really very funny. Many people have had flights cancelled with the hope they will get to SD in time for sailing tomorrow.

There are three ships in port tomorrow and the airport should be a zoo. Southwest cancelled all flights in and out of SD today.

Terri

Our local news said Southwest cancelled the flights due to the high winds today. They planned to start to fly 4pm today.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=9627628

The local news in Reno tonight reported many stranded passengers at our airport mainly due to flights held up in Phoenix, San Diego and San Francisco. I believe they said at least 16 flights had been cancelled or delayed. Some passengers will not be able to fly out until Saturday due to flights being booked up solid tomorrow. The bad weather is supposed to last in California at least until Friday. We have had snow here for a couple of days and Interstate 80 has been closed between Reno and Sacramento for several hours on at least two occassions due to really heavy snowfall causing poor visibility and multiple accidents in the Sierra Mountains. Flights out of Reno are not delayed because of our snowy weather but the heavy rains and winds elsewhere. DH and I always fly to port a day in advance but now I wonder if that will be adequate time when we take the Oosterdam in March. I do hope everyone has safe travels and smooth seas as soon as possible. I lived in San Diego for 22 years and they never get used to dealing with the rain and floods but the number of wildfires in California have added to the flooding. It is always a bit rough when you clear San Diego bay but I do hope those headed to Mexico get out of the rough seas ASAP.

Terri

And which part of my sentence that said it's not very funny did you miss?

We've been hit very hard here in So Cal with a series of winter storms every day since monday. The problem is #1 that the areas which were hit hard in late summer and fall by wildfires, those mostly in the foothills and mountains surrounding the L.A. basin, can't handle the amounts of water, resulting in mudslides. In addition we are not used to this very heavy rainfall and associated high winds hitting us hard for five consecutive days (the fifth and last one is coming in tomorrow) and the infrastructure can't handle it, resulting in flooding, lots and lots of standing water, live wires down/power failures, tree branches down, etc.

As a side note, many folks here don't adjust their driving habits/techniques (read speed) in heavy rain-slicked roads and think their cars will still stop on a dime; they don't and the result is many car crashes.

Hopefuly, the winds will die done some tomorrow allowing those flights to come in. I've got a feeling the "Say hi to Ralph" bags have already made an appearance in Zaandam's elevator bays because it had to be an extra rough ride outside the San Diego breakwater tonite.

Terri, I'm glad you guys made it safely into San Diego today. I'm not sure how the cruise lines handle a ship at the Navy Pier. You might want to check that there is in fact a check-in process there as opposed to still having to go in either the (regular) cruise terminal north of there. Good luck tomorrow and enjoy your cruise on Maasdam

John, thoughts going out to you folks dealing with all this weather out there. We've been following it on the news. I think Johnny Carson summed it up years ago when someone was complaining about the rain.

"California needs the rain to start the mudslides to put out the fires caused by the earthquakes."

I know that yesterday they stopped all flights out of Sky Harbor in Phoenix. They were making preperations for overnight "guests" there.

We are getting everything that left SD. High winds, rain, cold and generally yuckiness. It has rained here since Tuesday. Last night the winds brought down power lines. We need the rain as we've been in a drought for 8 years but could do without the winds and cold temps.

Good luck to all those traveling to and in SD today.

Safe travels to all departing today from San Diego..I just checked the webcam and all three ships are in port..and weather looks yucky.

Talked to brother yesterday in Escondido..San Diego County..and he said it was rain..rain..rain..wind and everything else...very unusual for the area.

Hoping everyone gets on their ships without too much hassle and can begin enjoying themselves..I am always so stressed on embarcation day..and more people..traffic and bad weather certainlly does not help.

Zaandam is at sea with 45' waves and gale winds. It's a rocky ride.

Hopefully they'll get to smoother water soon. Of course, wishes for safe sailing to Zaandam and all in her.

Oh my gosh - that sounds just awful. The only way I'd make it myself would be in bed hugging a pillow. Hopefully, the Zaandam's rough seas ahead can be measured in just hours.

Oh my gosh - that sounds just awful. The only way I'd make it myself would be in bed hugging a pillow. Hopefully, the Zaandam's rough seas ahead can be measured in just hours.

This is probably why Rev Neal has not posted. Hope he and his Mom are doing OK.

I'd be strapped down to the bed, passed out from the extra strength Gravol. My best wishes for everyone traveling in the effected areas!

Deb

I too hope their rough seas are short-lived BUT if you look at the ocean weather website I'd say there is little room for optimism. Generally this area is dark blue and light blue.(10 to 15 foot seas) Crew members on our October crossing talked about past rough crossings. They said even the most seasoned travelers and crew will get seasick if the motion persists long enough. We were lucky. We only had the white bags hanging out near the elevators for about 18 hours....

http://www.oceanweather.com/data/

And which part of my sentence that said it's not very funny did you miss?

The part that says "I'm sitting back giggling". It is not the rain that is causing the flight problems, it is the weather cells with high wind and turbulence that have spawned at least two tornados.

Archived