Sky Buffet Questions

alwalaska

Is the food at the Garden Cafe the same as at the Great Outdoors?

Also, is there a secret spot that is typically less crowded than the other areas?

Do you have to walk through the Garden Cafe to get to the Great Outdoors?

Since the Great Outdoors in outside, is smoking allowed on one side, or is it limited because it is considered a dining area?

I was on the Sky last week. Didn't eat at the buffet but walked thru the areas. I do seem to remember a smoker at the Great Outdoors.

I did note that during non-dinner hours, people were bringing their buffet food to the adjancent Il Adagio Resturant....seemed less crowded there.

I kept the ship's map and there is a set of elevators and stairs between the Garden Cafe and the Great Outdoor Cafe, so if you take the rear elevators to Deck 11, you can get to the Great Outdoors (which is aft of the elevators) without going thru the Garden Cafe (which is forward of the elevators).

Hope this helps.

Thanks Bob.

Can someone who has eaten at the buffet comment on whether the food is the same or different inside and out?

It's been almost a year and I have a hard time remembering what I had for for breakfast yesterday (and I normally don't eat breakfast:o) but I think the Great Outdoors does have some things different than on the regular buffet. I usually never made it past the buffet though so I can't recall any specifics. The couple of times I made it back there was for like a late snack and they had burgers, fries and hotdogs. There are three things I have to do this cruise that I didn't last year: 1) try the pizza et al in Longboards, 2) eat lunch in Il Adagio before sailaway (it's free then), and 3) go the to the Great Outdoors during a regular meal to check it out.

Thanks Bob.

Can someone who has eaten at the buffet comment on whether the food is the same or different inside and out?

In general, the food is much the same with something of a more limited number of selections outside. Another option is to get what you want inside and carry it outside to eat. Indeed, depending upon the time of day, this might be the only option as the inside and outside buffet lines also have somewhat different hours (especially early and late) for serving food.

It's been almost a year and I have a hard time remembering what I had for for breakfast yesterday (and I normally don't eat breakfast:o) but I think the Great Outdoors does have some things different than on the regular buffet. I usually never made it past the buffet though so I can't recall any specifics. The couple of times I made it back there was for like a late snack and they had burgers, fries and hotdogs. There are three things I have to do this cruise that I didn't last year: 1) try the pizza et al in Longboards, 2) eat lunch in Il Adagio before sailaway (it's free then), and 3) go the to the Great Outdoors during a regular meal to check it out.

Too funny. This will be my first cruise and I want to go to Il Adagio for the welcome lunch and try the Great Outdoors. Didn't know about the pizza at longboards, so I may have to check that out as well. I had heard about the spinach dip and fish and chips at Longboards and was planning on trying that out.

I need more than 4 days to try all the food that I want to. :D Good thing I don't do the specialty restaurants, or I would have even a harder time deciding where to go. :rolleyes:

They don't offer a full menu, just some "okay" Pizza and Pasta. Still miles ahead of the buffet, at least last year anyway.

Just off yesterday from the Sky.

Yes, you can get to the Great Outdoors without going through the Garden Cafe.

There are much fewer options, particularly for non-breakfast hours at the Great Outdoors. Hours for each are generally:

Breakfast: GC: 7-10:30 (though basic offerings start at 5:30); GO: 8-11:30**I found the waffle station only in the GO, but I could've missed it inside at the GC. There were two omelet stations in the GC, and one in the GO.

Lunch: GC: 12-2:30; IL Adagio: 12-3:30 (pizza and pasta); GO: 2:30-5:30. GO had very meager offerings in the afternoon. A veggie and a tuna "sub sandwich" (cut into small slices), fruit, rolls, boring desserts, burgers, and hot dogs.

Dinner: GC: 5:30-9:30; Palace (the more casual one-shorts allowed. Jeans allowed in either dining room) 5:30-10:30; Crossings 5:30-10:30

Late Night Snack: GO 9:30-11:30

Longboards (like the Blue Lagoon on other ships, only more of a bar): 6 pm-5:30 am

Not sure about smoking in the GO, sorry. Didn't see anyone smoking there. It was usually pretty busy there, but it's a fairly small seating area, so that didn't necessarily mean a lot of people, just full tables. Outside Champs bar (above pool area, Fwd) was usually less crowded on our sailing. It's on the opposite side of the ship from the buffet (aft) and up a flight of stairs, but not a long walk.

Just off yesterday from the Sky.

Yes, you can get to the Great Outdoors without going through the Garden Cafe.

There are much fewer options, particularly for non-breakfast hours at the Great Outdoors. Hours for each are generally:

Breakfast: GC: 7-10:30 (though basic offerings start at 5:30); GO: 8-11:30**I found the waffle station only in the GO, but I could've missed it inside at the GC. There were two omelet stations in the GC, and one in the GO.

Lunch: GC: 12-2:30; IL Adagio: 12-3:30 (pizza and pasta); GO: 2:30-5:30. GO had very meager offerings in the afternoon. A veggie and a tuna "sub sandwich" (cut into small slices), fruit, rolls, boring desserts, burgers, and hot dogs.

Dinner: GC: 5:30-9:30; Palace (the more casual one-shorts allowed. Jeans allowed in either dining room) 5:30-10:30; Crossings 5:30-10:30

Late Night Snack: GO 9:30-11:30

Longboards (like the Blue Lagoon on other ships, only more of a bar): 6 pm-5:30 am

Not sure about smoking in the GO, sorry. Didn't see anyone smoking there. It was usually pretty busy there, but it's a fairly small seating area, so that didn't necessarily mean a lot of people, just full tables. Outside Champs bar (above pool area, Fwd) was usually less crowded on our sailing. It's on the opposite side of the ship from the buffet (aft) and up a flight of stairs, but not a long walk.

Thanks for all the info. I was asking about the smoking because I am very sensitive to it, but I thought the GO looked like a nice place to hang out.

Do they have food at the Champs bar, or just drinks and some tables.

I really wish Longboards was open during that 2:30-5:30 window. It would be nice to get some pre-dinner snacks there. I try not to eat too late, but I want to try some of their things.

They don't offer a full menu, just some "okay" Pizza and Pasta. Still miles ahead of the buffet, at least last year anyway.

I had heard that and no doubt it will be miles ahead of the fast food I ingested getting to Miami:rolleyes:.

Thanks Bob.

mostly the same ...but with a little less selection....but its open late till midnight.

A good choice for an outdoor breakfast....no smoking but you can go up 1 deck for that.

I had heard that and no doubt it will be miles ahead of the fast food I ingested getting to Miami:rolleyes:.

I eat the pizza at CiCi's and Chuck E Cheese when I take the kids, so I'm sure it will be just fine for us as well. ;)

Do they have food at the Champs bar, or just drinks and some tables.

Just drinks and tables. It's a good place to listen to music and people watch, yet be out of normal traffic. It is labeled a smoking area, but only once did I see someone smoking.

Archived