View from Infinity sky deck cabin, is the overhang as issue?

Nanci40

I have cabin 9070 reserved and I wonder about the large overhang just above your head. It seems like it would really hinder the view and perhaps cause the balcony to be dark and wet. Has anyone stayed in one of these cabins? I reserved online and they really don't have many cabins up for grabs. Will that change as the June 2010 Alaska Cruise nears? Thanx for any input.

I have cabin 9070 reserved and I wonder about the large overhang just above your head. It seems like it would really hinder the view and perhaps cause the balcony to be dark and wet. Has anyone stayed in one of these cabins? I reserved online and they really don't have many cabins up for grabs. Will that change as the June 2010 Alaska Cruise nears? Thanx for any input.

I have stayed on that deck in balcony staterooms near the rear, with the over hang - no issues.

Nanci40,

Welcome to cruise critic!! You will find lots of very useful information here.

We were in 9043 thru the Panama Canal in September and I was also worried about the overhang, but really hardly noticed it at all. I usually look straight out or down at the ocean so no problem.

I'm taking my daughter to Alaska in June (just a girls trip) We are on the Infinity June 11th. When is your Alaska cruise?

Melody:D

My husband and I will be on the June 19th cruise if all works out. I've only been on Brilliance of the Seas before. Went to the Mediterranean last September. We really loved it. I looked at RCL again but the ship that is in Alaska at the end of June is Rhapsody and I've read too many comments in CC about an annoying constant vibration. I think that might drive me crazy. Glad to know that the overhang didn't seem to be a problem. I don't know what the scenery will be like and if looking up at mountains would be obstructed but glad the balcony did not seem unwelcoming. Anyone else out there stayed on the sky deck? I also read that the painters apparatus was stationed outside 9068 but in a picture, it looked like it was not at that cabin. It probably moves around.

I don't know about all these other posters, but I had a MAJOR problem with the "overhang". I was very dissappointed in the view from our balcony because of it.

I like to sit out on the balcony late at night and gaze at the stars - which was impossible from our 9th deck cabin.

Also, it was a Panama Canal Cruise, and pictures of the canal from our balcony are all criss-crossed with the support beams from the overhang.

I said to my wife and everyone else - it was the best cruise we have ever been on, but I will definitely NEVER again book a cabin on the 9th deck when it's a Millie. Class.

Just my oppinion, but I would try to get a cabin on the 7th, or no higher than the 8th deck.

Hope This Helps.

I would say the answer depends on what your preferences are. Some people love the sheltered feeling and some don't. Picture yourself standing there and think of what you like to do on your balcony and you'll have your answer. If you like to look directly up at the sky, you won't like it. If you would appreciate being able to be out on the balcony in all kinds of weather you might like it.

For me, I would love to have a more open balcony for Alaska because there is so much beautiful scenery while sailing and I would hate to have any of my view blocked. If I were going somewhere really hot it might be nice to have the shade.

Hmm. Thank you for the input. Having heard both sides, I feel like it might bother me too and it would be too late to do anything about it. I'm going to try to go through a travel agent and see if they are able to get a cabin on 7 or 8.

One other question, Does it matter which side of the ship you're on? It seems like the right side sees most of the sights on this Seattle to Seattle itinerary.

If you can get one of the aft CC or FV cabins, they are absolutely the best place for an Alaska cruise. You can see both sides.:) Sometimes one will become available at final payment time. Have your travel agent keep checking.

You are going to get both positive and negative answers. The poster that said, picture yourself standing on your balcony. What do you want to get out of it, pretty much made the most sense.

My experience. Personally, I hated it. Any sound echoed under over hang. The cabin was dark do to the fact that daylight could not get in and it is under a very public deck which rumbled and vibrated, (metal decks). Kids would run and it sounded like thunder. We had to use the cabin our kids were in on a lower deck for naps.

Again as posted above, all my pictures were affected by the support beams and the hangover. Then to make matters worse, the window washer got parked between our balcony and the one next door after the first port. :eek:

Harley, I think what would be important is to ask your TA if they have actually been in one of these cabins.

When I ended up in one of these cabins, it was my TA that glee fully called me and said that I was UPGRADED to this cabin. I was booked on deck 6. She had no way of knowing, and neither did I do to the fact that it was the Millennium's second cruise.

Also interesting that the category of "CC" came about after Millie had been sailing for a while. I think the cabins were getting a bad rap and needed "concierge class" to make them more attractive.:rolleyes:

To sum it up, I have two issues with these cabins. 1, under a busy public deck. 2, my balcony felt like a cave and the hangover affected my view and pictures..:eek:

If the price was really low, I wouldn't turn one down, but I certainly would never pay MORE to be on this deck.

Just recently over Christmas I was on the Radiance in one of the open balcony's on deck 7 forward. If anyone remembers the blue moon over the holidays. It was breathtaking. Every night, amazing. It would have sure been sad to miss that because of an overhang..

Going through the inside passage you will see water falls and eagles up in the mountains. Again, breathtaking. You can look out, but not up with the overhang.

There just is no right or wrong answer. Its personal and all you can do is weigh out all the opinions and how they relate to you.;)

(notice, I have always had a warning in my signature;)

Edited by ccletzgo

We were on the Panorama deck - deck 8 - on our Summit Cruise in Alaska, Cabin 8060, starboard side. We thought it was a good cabin - didn't have any obstructions and had a wonderful view. Since it was the southbound cruise from Seward to Vancouver, we were on the wrong side of the ship for seeing alot of the Alaskan coast. However, the ship turns around several times at the Hubbard Glacier, and on the inside passage there is lots to see from both sides. So not a real problem. But if I were doing it again, I might pick the port side.

On the Mille for an eastern Caribbean cruise, we were on the Sky Deck - deck 9, Cabin 9054. Didn't really notice much noise from the deck above, but there weren't many children on board, so not much running around up there. The supports for the overhang did obstruct the view a bit, but we really appreciated the shade in the afternoon as we had several days that were fairly hot. And if it was raining, you could sit on your balcony and not get wet.

So, I guess I would suggest Deck 8 for Alaska - there is lots to see from your balcony. And Deck 9 if you'd like some shade from the hot Caribbean sun! Both cruises were fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...

Just did B2B panama canal...SAN FLL .(11-22/12-5).......had 9112 midship CC cabin Eastbound.....did not seem to have any issue with overhang....actually provided some shade in early afternoon..........no noise from above , but really no children onboard that cruise ...did see where Darrell had issue with superstructure.....but that cabin was more forward I remember........decks in 9 are pretty small.........

on 12-5/12-22 FLL Valparaiso had 7178 midship.....also had overhang........but deck was at least twice size of deck 9 ..we asked for and got full sized lounges delivered to deck.....provided lots of shade....and PRIVACY.......as could sit toward back of deck and enjoy view........

if you look at deckplans ...no mention that decks are supersized in that part of deck 7....and interior size same......

...the larger deck is caused by the bump out that is carried from deck 7 to deck 10 for the seating area expansion in dining room ....

I don't know about all these other posters, but I had a MAJOR problem with the "overhang". I was very disappointed in the view from our balcony because of it.

I like to sit out on the balcony late at night and gaze at the stars - which was impossible from our 9th deck cabin.

Also, it was a Panama Canal Cruise, and pictures of the canal from our balcony are all criss-crossed with the support beams from the overhang.

+1 - Most of my time on the balcony is at night and I'm also a star nut. I hated it.

We were on Infinity last May cruising Alaska, in cabin 9085 on sky deck. The overhang was a real pain, particularly when trying to take photographs. I took loads of photos from the balcony but it was difficult to avoid the overhang and the struts holding up the deck above. I've spent many hours since then airbrushing and cropping! It may be nice in the caribbean to have some shade, but mostly its nice to see the sun. We are booked on a Baltic cruise this summer and I wanted to travel aqua class but all the cabins looked like they had got an overhang so we are going CC & saving a few ££

• 9 years later...
On 1/21/2010 at 11:07 PM, Nanci40 said:

How did you like the cabin 9070?  I know it has been a while since you did this post.  We are doing an Alaska cruise in May and are in cabin 9069.  How was the overhand?

Nanci and Harley

Neither of you have mentioned anything about the fact that both 9070 and 9112 are A2 Aqua Class cabins with Blu as your designated dining restaurant for dinner (also open for breakfast.} If the Blu Restaurant is important to you, please be aware that the cabins on lower decks are NOT Aqua Class cabins and unless you were to upgrade to a Suite, your assigned dining area would be the Main Dining Room rather than the dedicated Blu Restaurant.

If you wish to remain in an Aqua Class cabin, but avoid being under the overhang from deck 10, your only alternative would be to upgrade to an A1 cabin on deck 11 aft assuming any of them are still available. The deck 11 cabins have open balconies without any cover, so you can look straight up to the sky, but thus also have no shade.

No matter what, enjoy your cruises.

Sorry, just realized that this is an old thread from 2010 that WI replied to - hope your cruises were in fact enjoyable.

Edited by NantahalaCruiser