Budget for 2011--Had hopes for 2010

lauriebird

I have been reading, reading, reading

1. All recommended Fodors and other tour books

2. Cruise line websites and brochures

3. Cruise Critic

As I am sure you can tell this is my first cruise and it appears that picking Alaska requires more homework than most.

All of that being said I went to our insurance company which also handles travel this week, and met with a Princess rep to try and narrow down ports, dates and of course price. After our get together I felt still left out in the dark with what I thought our budget would be and what she quoted me.

I guess my question is does it pay to try any other avenue to get the best price but also some piece of mind? When I go to the cruise line web site (in this case Princess) I don't seem to come up with the same numbers that the rep is.

All help appreciated.

Thanks,

Confused in California

L

TA's often buy block or group of cabins and can sell their cabins at a discounted rate that the TA receives from the cruise line. However, the cruise lines often run specials where the cabin may be a little more but they will offer you OBC's.

To ensure you get the best deal you will need to research all your options, TA's, Cruise Lines, Online Travel sites and even Cruise Critic website.

You are correct, Alaska does require a lot more research then some of the other destinations but it is so worth it, Alaska is absolutely amazing.

Good luck.

I felt like a brand new cruiser the first time I cruised to Alaska as it is so different.

There are travel agents who discount prices on certain cruise lines (such as Princess) and these agents are cheaper then any quote you receive from Princess.

Take your time and read what you can. 2011 rates won't be out for Princess until around March or April time frame.

Not sure what you need for your "piece of mind"?? It also seems you have a priority for price??

As only a suggestion, compare. Get on email lists of discounters. Be certain you are comparing TOTAL prices. There is a wide range of price "lists".

With a budget concern, I'm one to advocate going, now. :) If you haven't cutting back on cabin, can yield significant savings. Going mid May, or first week of Sept, can offer savings ( I don't recommend past these timeframes, UNLESS you are very well prepared and accepting of the increased foul weather risks).

Not sure what you need for your "piece of mind"?? It also seems you have a priority for price??

As only a suggestion, compare. Get on email lists of discounters. Be certain you are comparing TOTAL prices. There is a wide range of price "lists".

With a budget concern, I'm one to advocate going, now. :) If you haven't cutting back on cabin, can yield significant savings. Going mid May, or first week of Sept, can offer savings ( I don't recommend past these timeframes, UNLESS you are very well prepared and accepting of the increased foul weather risks).

I'd agree with going this year, only because it seems to be cheaper than the previous years, from my experience. I got a great interior rate with Carnival and even got an obstructed interior room. I never thought we could do an Alaskan cruise for two for $1900 including all gratuities and taxes.

Although many claim that online discounters have great deals, I did not find that the case when I was cruising in 2008. Most charged exactly what my local TA charged, some were more and I found only one that charged less and it was by $100. It was my first cruise, and I was not comfortable booking it online. It would have had to be a lot less to let me consider it.

Also, know that some TAs will charge you a cancellation fee, or a fee if you make any changes to your reservation. Find this out before you book, so there are no surprises.

Don't trust TAs too much. They are great for booking and for taking care of problems. However, they often don't know all that much about a destination. (Yes, I know some do, but I would not trust anyone.) Make sure you do all your own research first. A few books and this site will firm up for you what you want out of this trip. I did all my research, picked the cruise I wanted, and then went to the TA, also connected with a insurance company. She helped me with cabin selections and took care of booking it. When I noticed price drops, she handled that efficiently and without any extra fees. As with anything, "BUYER BEWARE."

Obstructed inside, on the Carnival Spirit could even be a cabin with french doors that open, but you can not go anywhere.

No Balcony...There is a boat in the way.

But you can see out a bit, and hear the waves and smell the ocean....

we didn't have one, but some friends of our were upgraded to that "INSIDE Cabin" it also had a sofa. More like a Balcony Cabin with no Balcony.

We have the last Spirit cruise in 2010 Sailing away to Glacier Bay.

We are going as a CC Group, but the pricing has gone bye bye, you can still call the CC TA and see what she can offer as far as Cabins and discounts. We just no longer have our Guarantee Cabins available, but you can still get in on the Group amenities. $100 per Cabin OBC being one of them.

You never know, maybe you will get one of the inside Cabins with the french doors leading no where, but for the price of an inside :D 4k Cabins on the main deck is where they are located

Click the button

price.gifit has lots of information.

All this means naught if you are not planning on a Carnival ship...Disregard if that be the case!

Obstructed inside, on the Carnival Spirit could even be a cabin with french doors that open, but you can not go anywhere.

No Balcony...There is a boat in the way.

But you can see out a bit, and hear the waves and smell the ocean....

we didn't have one, but some friends of our were upgraded to that "INSIDE Cabin" it also had a sofa. More like a Balcony Cabin with no Balcony.

We have the last Spirit cruise in 2010 Sailing away to Glacier Bay.

We are going as a CC Group, but the pricing has gone bye bye, you can still call the CC TA and see what she can offer as far as Cabins and discounts. We just no longer have our Guarantee Cabins available, but you can still get in on the Group amenities. $100 per Cabin OBC being one of them.

You never know, maybe you will get one of the inside Cabins with the french doors leading no where, but for the price of an inside :D 4k Cabins on the main deck is where they are located

Click the button

price.gifit has lots of information.

All this means naught if you are not planning on a Carnival ship...Disregard if that be the case!

Yup, 4K interior on Carnival. I was going to book an interior anyway, but since it's got some view to the outside, that was just a bonus for me. The TA told me I could open the door and get some fresh air but wouldn't be able to walk outside. I'm just happy I can SEE outside! :)

See this thread with a picture:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1095363

I'd agree with going this year, only because it seems to be cheaper than the previous years, from my experience. I got a great interior rate with Carnival and even got an obstructed interior room. I never thought we could do an Alaskan cruise for two for $1900 including all gratuities and taxes.

Aren't all iinteriors cabins obstructed view, because if they aren't I like to know about it.

Aren't all iinteriors cabins obstructed view, because if they aren't I like to know about it.

Interior cabins, have NO "view". Obstructed views, usually have lifeboats hanging in front of windows, of which you "may" see a lot or little around them.

Archived