Internet

SmartShea

I am going on the Liberty of Seas in 8 days and wanted to know if there is internet on board to keep in touch with my folks. Is wi-fi available? Does the internet in the public rooms cost anything? Thanks for any information!

Sorry, I don't know anything about wi-fi however you might find information on the RCI website.

There is an area on Deck 8 where there are about a dozen computers for use by passengers; the fee is 55 cents a minute.

We had a wonderful cruise on the Liberty (Jan 10 - 17th) terrific ship; the best Captain and crew! Photos in the link below as well as photos of the Indpendence of the Sea (sister ship to Liberty).

Have a wonderful cruise.

Kathy:)

If only there was a better word to describe the internet on a ship...But, there is only one....it is SLOW.

How slow? Slow enough that you can hit enter, go get breakfast, enjoy a stroll around the deck and then come back to see it say "e-mail sent"

Seriously, it is SLOW.

Cost, whether you use your laptop or the ships PC is fifty-five cents per minute unless you buy a package, depending on the package, you can get the rate down to around thirty-eight cents.

Suggestion: Plan on checking e-mail and replying once a day then put away the internet and go back to cruising.

The Internet is at a cost regardless if you are using the ships computers or your own laptop using the WiFi.

The cost is 0.55 / minute or you buy a package at

$25 for 60 minutes

$35 for 90 minutes

$50 for 150 minutes

Unused minuts of the package are not refundable.

When using the WiFi you have to go to one of the Internet stations onboard first to create an account.

Using their computers I agree the connections are slow.

However using WiFI with your laptop and trying to get online when not everybody else does as well the speed isn´t that bad.

The average WiFi speed is about 11Mbps.

Don´t use web-based email. Set up an email account as a pop3-account. Most of the web-based email sites are just overloaded with graphic and take forever to load. With a pop3 account and your own laptop you can manage to receive a number of emails in less than a minute if there´s not large attachments to the mail. You can then go offline to read and reply and get online for sending again.

This way you´ll get away with only a couple minutes per day.

If only there was a better word to describe the internet on a ship...But, there is only one....it is SLOW.

PAINFULLY SLOW!! Unless you absolutely need to be in touch with the world, forget trying to connect while at sea, wait until you're in port and find an internet cafe -- much cheaper and faster. The ship's connection is also better when you're in port. My DH was so disgusted with the slow connection on our recent Jewel cruise (cost $5 before he could even connect) that he complained to Guest Relations. They actually removed the cost from our bill.

The Internet is at a cost regardless if you are using the ships computers or your own laptop using the WiFi.

The cost is 0.55 / minute or you buy a package at

$25 for 60 minutes

$35 for 90 minutes

$50 for 150 minutes

Unused minuts of the package are not refundable.

When using the WiFi you have to go to one of the Internet stations onboard first to create an account.

Using their computers I agree the connections are slow.

However using WiFI with your laptop and trying to get online when not everybody else does as well the speed isn´t that bad.

The average WiFi speed is about 11Mbps.

Don´t use web-based email. Set up an email account as a pop3-account. Most of the web-based email sites are just overloaded with graphic and take forever to load. With a pop3 account and your own laptop you can manage to receive a number of emails in less than a minute if there´s not large attachments to the mail. You can then go offline to read and reply and get online for sending again.

This way you´ll get away with only a couple minutes per day.

Old prices.

60 Minutes............. $28 (~ 47 cents per minute)

90 Minutes............. $38 (~ 42 cents per minute)

150 Minutes........... $55 (~ 37 cents per minute)

Unless you need to stay in touch on a daily basis wait till you port. All of the Caribbean cruise ports I've visited had an abundance of places offering true high-speed internet either on their equipment or WiFi. Expect to spend between $2 and $4 for about 20 minutes.

To give you an idea of how slow shipboard internet access can be, on one voyage it routinely took 15 minutes to connect to my internet based email account. I'm talking about how long it took to get initial inbox display - forget actually reading any mail. It's not always that slow, but the best I've done is about 3 minutes.

• 2 months later...

I plan to take my new netbook on our next cruise and would appreciate more info on "pop3" account.. How do I get an account? I was planning on just signing onto AOL but after reading many posts this doesn't seem like the best way to go. Please------any instructions on how to access pop3 would be greatly appreciated

Archived